Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Round 2: Sydney Swans Reserves v Southport Sharks @ Blacktown

Senior Player
    I thought that Rose, Edwards, Jack, Fisher , Towers and Cunningham all played reasonably well. However Towers still needs more time to rebuild his confidence and Cunningham needs time to find better form.

Jack played really well for most of the game performing the role of
    linking through the middle but when he gets near goals he seems to develop a neurosis that prevents him disposing of the ball properly.

Rose looks fit enough to play seniors now and reads the play as well as anybody on the ground. He would certainly offer more than Dawson at this stage although I remain Dawson fan.

If Fisher wasn't a rookie he would be in the mix.He was very good.

Edwards looks OK but I'm not sure about his disposal. He definitely takes the game on but that can be good and bad if it results in turnovers.

Cameron looked very composed. Had a lot of the ball around the ground, had a number of goal assists and is a good field kick. Seemed reasonable in the ruck and probably is a better choice than Sinclair with more upside.

Melican looked very effective in defence and seems to always give priority to beating his opponent than accumulating possessions. He should be considered against teams with 3 pronged attacks.

Pink is going to be a player, especially when he fills out further.

Sam Murray also played well but needs a bit more time.

The new batch of toppies also looked pretty good too.

If I was to hazard a guess as to next week's selection I would say Rose and Cameron for Sinclair and Dawson with Jack an outside chance on the big ground.

Sent from my SM-T805Y using Tapatalk
    We have them where we want them, everything is going according to plan!

Senior Player
    How come Talia was good enough for round one last year but with all our injuries and needing defensive players he cannot get a game.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by annew View Post
    How come Talia was good enough for round one last year but with all our injuries and needing defensive players he cannot get a game.
    He doesn't look too interested.

Veterans List
    Papers stamped perhaps.

Got caught obtaining drugs down an alley while on the LTI list. Will have to string more than a few good games together to get another chance.

Re talia not picked and the same for laids

I think it is simply the speed that our backs need to compete denies him a spot

Speed physically and between the ears

We needed play makers and runners flying out of the backs

We need give and go players that can flood forward and can most importantly go with the small forwards when they break thru our zone defence

Below are Inside Football's ratings for the first 6 games for Talia's 2015 season with the Bulldogs. It sounds pretty good. The rest of the season was mixed, he was dropped twice then injured toward the end. Talia is capable of doing a decent job, but has been inconsistent. I'm not sure what the state of play is with him this year. He didn't have much to do in this game as the ball hardly entered out defence, which could explain a lack of interest.

I see him as a possible replacement for Grundy, but if AJ returns, and both Melican and Maibaum develop well, then there may not be a place for him.

2015 Season

Played for : Western Bulldogs

1 WCE Did a fine job on the dangerous Kennedy, which was pivotal to the victory. 8
    2 Rich Claimed second scalp in as many weeks by taking Riewoldt to the cleaners. 7
    3 Haw Had the hardest job of all on Roughead. Stuck to it and won a share of footy. 5
    4 Adel Matched up on Walker and did his job. 5
    5 Syd Had job on Franklin (three goals) but he did a reasonable job. 6
    6 StK Excelled down back apart from being run down once. Decent work. 6

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    Pink 17d 8m 3t 5i50 6.0
    Jack 34d 8m 2t 9i50 0.1
    Rose 22d 9m 3.2
    Fisher 34d 5m 2t 4i50 5r50 1.1
    Edwards 23d 2m 8t 4i50 1.1
    Towers 29d 7m 5t 4i50 2r50
    Cameron 20d 8m 3t 22ho
    Cunningham 25d 4m 2t 7i50 3r50 2.0
    O'Riordan 17d 5m 4t 4r50 1.0
    Gowers 23d 7m
    Leonardis 19d 5m 3i50 2r50 1.0
    Laidler 22d 5m 2i50 5r50
    Murray 15d 5m 3i50 2.0
    Talia 17d 5m 4r50
    Maibaum 12d 5m 2i50 0.1
    Melican 13d 3m 2r50

Quote Originally Posted by ugg View Post
    Pink 17d 8m 3t 5i50 6.0
    Jack 34d 8m 2t 9i50 0.1
    Rose 22d 9m 3.2
    Fisher 34d 5m 2t 4i50 5r50 1.1
    Edwards 23d 2m 8t 4i50 1.1
    Towers 29d 7m 5t 4i50 2r50
    Cameron 20d 8m 3t 22ho
    Cunningham 25d 4m 2t 7i50 3r50 2.0
    O'Riordan 17d 5m 4t 4r50 1.0
    Gowers 23d 7m
    Leonardis 19d 5m 3i50 2r50 1.0
    Laidler 22d 5m 2i50 5r50
    Murray 15d 5m 3i50 2.0
    Talia 17d 5m 4r50
    Maibaum 12d 5m 2i50 0.1
    Melican 13d 3m 2r50
    Those are some really solid stats for Sam Fisher- he impressed me yesterday. Good numbers for BJ as well, but I wasn't super sold on his work in the front half. May be enough to get him another crack at seniors however, especially given we are playing at Subiaco.
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    Sydney
    Goal Kickers: T. Pink 6, J. Rose 3, S. Murray 2, H. Cunningham 2, A. Kinasch, S. Fisher, S. Barkley, C. O''Riordan, S. Edwards, J. Stapleton, T. Leonardis
    Best Players: B. Jack, S. Fisher, H. Cunningham, T. Pink, L. Melican, J. Rose
    Southport
    Goal Kickers: J. Holland, M. Fowler, D. Mutu
    Best Players: J. Keras, A. Boston, A. McKenzie

Veteran Site Admin
    Don't underestimate how ordinary Southport was yesterday. As I wrote earlier in the thread, their team is packed with tall, strongly built players and they had a swagger about them that suggested they might be a decent opponent. But after the first few minutes they barely put up any resistance. The contrast with the Lions team that comfortably outplayed the same Swans outfit last week was stark. And the Swans team of, say, a couple of seasons back would have beaten them by 200, not 100.

I did enjoy the performances of a handful of the top-ups. They were all pretty reasonable and got involved far more than last week. But I mentally jotted down 57, 50 and 53 who did a few things that caught my eye. When I later checked the numbers I found that 57 was Robertson and 53 Barkley. But, unless I am going blind, I can't see a number 50 listed on the team sheet. He was a tall, lanky chap with a mop of blond curls on the top of his head.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    Don't underestimate how ordinary Southport was yesterday. As I wrote earlier in the thread, their team is packed with tall, strongly built players and they had a swagger about them that suggested they might be a decent opponent. But after the first few minutes they barely put up any resistance. The contrast with the Lions team that comfortably outplayed the same Swans outfit last week was stark. And the Swans team of, say, a couple of seasons back would have beaten them by 200, not 100.

I did enjoy the performances of a handful of the top-ups. They were all pretty reasonable and got involved far more than last week. But I mentally jotted down 57, 50 and 53 who did a few things that caught my eye. When I later checked the numbers I found that 57 was Robertson and 53 Barkley. But, unless I am going blind, I can't see a number 50 listed on the team sheet. He was a tall, lanky chap with a mop of blond curls on the top of his head.
    The curse of the NEAFL. So hard to guage form.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast