• 1996 Prelim - any score will do

3 4.35%
  • 1999 8 goal comeback vs North Melbourne

0 0%
  • 1999 Plugger breaks the goal kicking record

0 0%
  • 2003 Qualifying Final win vs Port Adelaide

2 2.90%
  • 2005 Semi Final - Nick Davis I don't believe it!

26 37.68%
  • 2005 Grand Final - Leo Barry you star!

19 27.54%
  • 2011 - breaks Geelong home winning streak

2 2.90%
  • 2012 - Premiership win and Malceski snap

17 24.64%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Vote for your favourite Swans moment since 1996

On the Rookie List

Vote for your favourite Swans moment since 1996

Here are the options:

1. "Any score will do" - Plugger gets us into the 1996 grand final with a behind
    1996 PF Sydney Swans V Essendon - YouTube

2. "Captain courageous leads the way" - Having lost our first 3 games of the season and down by 48 points (13-61) near half-time against North Melbourne. Paul Kelly inspires a stunning comeback to win by 2 points!
    Swannies Classics: Round 4, 1999 vs North Melbourne - YouTube

3. "Plugger's 1300th" - Breaks Gordon Coventry's 62 year record haul of 1299 goals.
    Tony Lockett kicks 1300th goal, June 1999. 1300 Sydney Swans - YouTube

4. "Impossible is nothing" - Port Adelaide were near unbackable favourites to win their Qualifying Final against the swans in 2003. But a fantastic all round team effort shut down Port for 3 quarters and withstood a late charge to seal a home preliminary final
    One of the Sydney Swans all time great wins - 1st Qualifying Final 2003 - AFL - Highlights - YouTube

5. "Nick Davis! Nick Davis! I don't believe it! I see but I don't believe it!" - 4 final quarter goals in a semi final against Geelong puts this man into AFL folklore. Swans were down by 22 points and not looking like kicking a goal, Davis pulls off a stunning personal display of brilliance to get the swans home.
    FOUR Nick Davis Goals v Geelong Cats @ SCG - YouTube

6. "Leo Barry you star!" - Final roll of the dice by Dean Cox with seconds remaining in the 2005 Grand Final and Barry pulls off a mark for the ages. Swans win their first premiership in 72 years.
    2005 AFL Grand Final Highlights - Sydney Swans v West Coast Eagles - YouTube

7. "Geelong's record winning streak broken" - Having been in a 4 year 29 game home winning streak. Sydney lead at every interval to win by 13 points in an intense game
    Geelong Cats v Sydney Swans - Highlights - AFL Round 23 2011 - Kardinia Park - YouTube

8. "They've done it. What a team. It's that culture the Bloods! That's what it's all about!" - No one gave us a chance against the hawks. Swans prevailed a 3rd quarter hawks surge to kick the final 4 goals and win the 2012 grand final by 10 points. Sealed by a magical Nick Malceski snap.
    The final two minutes - AFL Grand Final - YouTube

I was at five of those games, and watched the other three on tv. I personally have to say the cats game at skilled. The gfs were amazing, the experience of nick Davis in the quarter was slightly unbelievable, but the stunned expressions of the cat fans at skilled, especially in the context of the mcveigh situation I will never forget. Plus it featured my all time favourite goal as Gary rohan just went past Geelong players like they were standing still. Standing on the terraces at skilled where I have seen many disappointments was just a ripping feeling.

Warming the Bench
    Hard to go past Barry's mark and that win but..... 2003, in Adelaide. That was one special effort. Kirky bouncing back up after being lifted by Pickett....

Special mention to Micky's goal in Perth in '06 QF...

Nick Davis.

Greatest finals quarter by an individual I have seen. Kicked half the teams score in a quarter. No Davis, no 2005 premiership and maybe the Cats dynasty starts a couple of years earlier.
    The eternal connundrum "what happens when an unstoppable force meets an immovable object" was finally solved when David Hasselhoff punched himself in the face.

Wow, it's like trying to pick which one is your favourite child!

Quote Originally Posted by Bloody Hell View Post
    Nick Davis.

Greatest finals quarter by an individual I have seen. Kicked half the teams score in a quarter. No Davis, no 2005 premiership and maybe the Cats dynasty starts a couple of years earlier.
    Yep, what BH said!
    Does God believe in Atheists?

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Quote Originally Posted by Jewels View Post
    Too true!
    All wonderful moments, and we've replayed them all on tape or dvd more than once. But in a tight clinch, for me it has to be Nick Davis. I still get goosebumps writing this down!
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Quote Originally Posted by dimelb View Post
    Too true!
    All wonderful moments, and we've replayed them all on tape or dvd more than once. But in a tight clinch, for me it has to be Nick Davis. I still get goosebumps writing this down!
    Yep Dim I agree and that's the one I ended up voting for.
    I love them all but that's the one that still gives me goosebumps!

Re: Vote for your favourite Swans moment since 1996

My favourite happened 2 weeks ago. I got to share the moment with my nephew and 2 of my best mates. Precious moments that will stay with me forever.
    ..And the Swans are the Premiers...The Ultimate Team...The Ultimate Warriors. They have overcome the highly fancied Hawks in brilliant style. Sydney the 2012 Premiers - Gerard Whately ABC

Here it is Again! - Huddo SEN

Quote Originally Posted by Jewels View Post
    Absolutely. I voted for 2003 as my favourite moment as it has been for so long. But Nic Davis. And my best boy Mal.

Can I vote 3 times? going to try.

This is a MEAN Poll
    If you've never jumped from one couch to the other to save yourself from lava then you didn't have a childhood

On the Rookie List
    Ive been lucky to have seen all of these, 5 live and 3 on TV. I was going to include Magics goal in the 06 QF but put the Geelong game instead. Another special one I'll never forget is the 1998 QF against St. Kilda and the last play between Winmar and O'loughlin.

They're all special in different ways and contexts, I think I've got the best 8 unless I've missed an obvious one?

I went for this years GF just because it was the first live premiership win for me and erased my 06 heartache.

The Bradshaw torpedo goal against the Lions was pretty cool - not my favourite - but certainly memorable.
    up the guts

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast