Page 1 of 40 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Booing of Adam Goodes by fans of Melbourne clubs

Booing of Adam Goodes by fans of Melbourne clubs

For those of us (me included) who are somewhat baffled by Melbourne (the city, not the club) fans repeated booing of Adam Goodes, here are a couple of articles about it, one old, one new:

Why some fans are challenged by Goodes
    http://www.sen.com.au/news/05-15/fan...-patrick-smith
    Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way you'll be a mile away and he'll be shoeless.

Its mob racism, pure and simple. Racism-lite if you want to be specific.

On the Rookie List Conor_Dillon's Avatar
    Exactly what Barry said.
    Twitter @cmdil
    Instagram @conordillon

Exactly what Conor said.

Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    Its mob racism, pure and simple. Racism-lite if you want to be specific.
    But they aren't booing Jetta.
    It's racism, but not simple racism, its because Goodes is a "challenger" to pick the terminology of that Jake Niall article.
    Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way you'll be a mile away and he'll be shoeless.

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    It was the one thing that really annoyed me on Saturday night. I could cope with the doting on Cyril, I could cope with the inconsistent umpiring, I could cope with the long queue for the dunny (just), I could put up with the mid strength beer.

But I decided that although there was no-one near us who was booing, I would like to do something positive. So every time Adam got the ball and the racists started booing, I shouted "Hurray!" at the top of my voice, occasionally adding "Onya Adam!"

I don't know whether it made any difference at all, but I felt a lot happier. I recommend it as a worthwhile experiment.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

The booing got worse after he stood tall and said No to racism. It doesn't take a rocket surgeon to join the dots on that one.

Hawthorn; the so called family club.
    pfft: the Manson family maybe

I think it's a combination of a few things.

1) The finger pointing incident.
    2) Australian of the year.
    3) The fact that he's a good player.
    4) Fans of other teams think he's overrated.
    5) Underlying racism by a few fans.
    6) Outspoken about indigenous issues.
    7) Opposition fans think he gets a favourable run by the umpires.

I think most people boo him because there's a perception that he's condescending and thinks he's above everyone else. Australians love to cut down a tall poppy and the racists boo extra loud when given the opportunity.

If it was merely racism alone, Jetta and Cyril would be booed just as hard.

I like to think Goodes has the Wayne Carey effect. Carey was booed because he was just a good player.

Happy and I know it
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodsbigot View Post

I like to think Goodes has the Wayne Carey effect. Carey was booed because he was just a good player.
    Carey was booed in his later years because he he was a sleaze.
    All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. - Edmund Burke

If he wasn't indigenous he wouldn't receive anywhere near the level of attention he gets. All this talk of it being because he dives, is a dirty player etc are poor excuses. No other indigenous player or Hawthorn player etc would support this treatment.

It was a large section of the Hawthorn members section who constantly booed.
    I sat in the Ponsford stand top level and very few took part.

A childish mob mentality.

It detracted from the game. They did not boo when he took that stunningly brave make with 3 Hawks bearing down.

There are many players on opposition sides that I do not like - but to spend a large part of a great night booing an individual rather than appreciate the spectacle offered is beyond me.

I think there are a certain percentage of fans who boo because of diving, tall poppy, opposition player.

Then there is a large percentage who arent that smart, and just join in the booing because they are racists, and its a great excuse to vent some repressed racism.

Hard to see a way out of it.

Page 1 of 40 1234511 ... LastLast