Page 25 of 26 FirstFirst ... 15212223242526 LastLast

Thread: Another thread about the Melbourne media having NFI about Sydney Footy...

I'm doing ok right now, thanks Danzar's Avatar
    Anyone subscribe to Foxsports digital?

Check AFL360 from last night (22/08/16), jump to 09:30. Whateley asks Sheehan about the prospects of a weekend with two finals in Sydney, but answers himself with 'that's what it was all set up for wasn't it'? Sheehan does a double take, says nothing.

It's worth a look just for Sheehan's silent reaction. I won't comment on WTF Gerard may be implying, simply because I cannot see any basis in any reality for what that might mean.
    Captain, I am detecting large quantities of win in this sector

Senior Player
    Yes, I saw that. Even Whateley who mostly appears to be a slightly brighter than the average Melbourne commentator is burdened by the usual prejudices about footy in NSW.
    We also must commend the great job by the GWS midfield to deliberately allow Nic Nat to kick a goal with 8 seconds on the clock to lose that game last week and so likely set up two Sydney finals on the same weekend. And the way Nic Nat disguised his involvement in the Sydney two final set up by sacrificing his own knee a week later to hurt West Coast's chance of getting a home final. These guys are seriously good.

Quote Originally Posted by Danzar View Post

Check AFL360 from last night (22/08/16), jump to 09:30. Whateley asks Sheehan about the prospects of a weekend with two finals in Sydney, but answers himself with 'that's what it was all set up for wasn't it'? Sheehan does a double take, says nothing.

It's worth a look just for Sheehan's silent reaction. I won't comment on WTF Gerard may be implying, simply because I cannot see any basis in any reality for what that might mean.
    Last edited by KTigers; 24th August 2016 at 02:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by KTigers View Post
    Yes, I saw that. Even Whateley who mostly appears to be a slightly brighter than the average Melbourne commentator is burdened by the usual prejudices about footy in NSW.
    We also must commend the great job by the GWS midfield to deliberately allow Nic Nat to kick a goal with 8 seconds on the clock to lose that game last week and so likely set up two Sydney finals on the same weekend. And the way Nic Nat disguised his involvement in the Sydney two final set up by sacrificing his own knee a week later to hurt West Coast's chance of getting a home final. These guys are seriously good.
    It's not Whateley's style to indulge in conspiracy theories. I'm sure what he meant was that GWS was set up to be a successful team from the outset, so this kind of outcome is not unexpected. He is not "slightly brighter than the average Melbourne commentator", he is about 15 IQ points ahead of them, as is Sheahan. I think you are both misreading that exchange.

I'm doing ok right now, thanks Danzar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bloods05 View Post
    It's not Whateley's style to indulge in conspiracy theories. I'm sure what he meant was that GWS was set up to be a successful team from the outset, so this kind of outcome is not unexpected. He is not "slightly brighter than the average Melbourne commentator", he is about 15 IQ points ahead of them, as is Sheahan. I think you are both misreading that exchange.
    No, just found the comment interesting. I was probably on the fence with this one, but it did come across strange.
    Captain, I am detecting large quantities of win in this sector

Yes I was watching at the time and thought it a bit odd, but I suspect it was to be taken at face value and it was more the way he said it.
    Today's a draft of your epitaph

Agree 100% Bloods.These two are the rare few who don't have agenda's and call it as they see it. I'd include Healy in this group but he does show a leaning towards us so who could blame him !

Goes up to 11
    He is not "slightly brighter than the average Melbourne commentator", he is about 15 IQ points ahead of them, as is Sheahan.
    I think that's a bit harsh on both Whateley and Sheehan, especially Whateley who I consider one of the very best sports journos/callers in the country.

Senior Player
    I don't mind Sheehan, I pretty much always watch his show, I just wish he would get over this fascination he has with the biff side of the game. Even last night, talking to Andrew Ireland, he brought up the time Ireland got flattened by Leigh Matthews. The show is only 30 minutes long, and I think Ireland's stories about the behind-the-scenes machinations at the Lions and the Swans are much more interesting to hear about.

Quote Originally Posted by Danzar View Post

I think you've got the wrong end of the stick there....the comment was just to say that having 2 successful Sydney teams was what the AFL wanted...and 2 Sydney finals in one weekend would be proof of their strategy paying off.
    "I'll acknowledge there are more talented teams in the competition but I won't acknowledge that there is a better team in the competition" Paul Roos March 2005

Quote Originally Posted by KTigers View Post
    I don't mind Sheehan, I pretty much always watch his show, I just wish he would get over this fascination he has with the biff side of the game. Even last night, talking to Andrew Ireland, he brought up the time Ireland got flattened by Leigh Matthews. The show is only 30 minutes long, and I think Ireland's stories about the behind-the-scenes machinations at the Lions and the Swans are much more interesting to hear about.
    We all look at the era of the game we grew up with through rose coloured glasses. I'm not saying he's right, just that I understand it. He's retired from footy writing now, so he's able to indulge his love of the era of the game he truly still relates to. Having said that, he has consistently been a true supporter of the game being a genuine AFL, and not just a Victorian run code where teams from outside Victoria get to participate as long as they don't win too much.
    Today's a draft of your epitaph

Quote Originally Posted by jono2707 View Post
    I think that's a bit harsh on both Whateley and Sheehan, especially Whateley who I consider one of the very best sports journos/callers in the country.
    That's what I was saying. 15 IQ points is a lot.

Goes up to 11
    That's what I was saying. 15 IQ points is a lot.
    Nah I reckon at least 30 points higher than the 'average Melbourne commentator'... ????