Page 33 of 35 FirstFirst ... 2329303132333435 LastLast

Thread: Match Day Rnd. 6. Carlton V Sydney. MCG 14.10 pm.

Blog Entries
    1. Forgot my scarf.
    2. Forgot my Myki Card, so had to drive to the MCG
    3. MCG Car park was closed.
    4. listened to MMM on the way in to hear if car park was closed. Talked crap all that time, and no mention of car park.
    5. Drove around for 15+ minutes looking for a spot.
    6. long walk back to the ground.
    7. Arrived just in time to chug a beer, and sit down.
    8. except for 7, I wish I had of stayed home.

Blog Entries
    Key Turning points.
    - Jones free reversal.
    - Papley 50m
    - Jack getting run down in front of goal.
    - Not stopping play as soon as a stretcher was called for. Surely they could see there was a serious issue.

Warming the Bench
    I'm probably not going to say anything that hasn't already been said...I was at the game on Saturday and here's my (re)view. Both sides made lots of skill errors in the first half but we were slightly better with the ball in hand. In the second half Carlton were much cleaner with basic skills but we didn't get any better. It wasn't just Brandon Jack who butchered a goal - incidently where was a team mate in support? And it's not just Callum Sinclair who can't take marks. In the 3rd quarter there was a kick into our F50 and Buddy gave chase. He got to the ball but dropped it; Carlton cleaned it up and got it out of their D50. Buddy got 2 hands to it and was 30 m out almost directly in front.
    I noticed our mids such as Parker put a lot of effort into the contests but we couldn't get the ball away from the contest. They seem to want to take clean possession and break tackles and it just isn't working. We need to change this aspect of our game. Just get the ball out of the congestion as quickly as you can - play volleyball if you need to. Other teams do this now. Whenever Carlton got the ball outside the contest they had already spread and had unmarked players on the outside. All they had to do was catch the ball. Our players always seemed to be behind as if they were making the assumption we would win the ball from the contest.
    If we continue playing like this we won't win a game this year. Yes, we are hampered by injuries and interrupted pre-seasons but this is only part of the reason. The game has changed - our game plan needs to change with it.

"Just get the ball out of the congestion as quickly as you can - play volleyball if you need to. Other teams do this now."

"The game has changed - our game plan needs to change with it."

I agree after watching many of the other matches this season and the way they are being umpired.

Match Day Rnd. 6. Carlton V Sydney. MCG 14.10 pm.

I think that people are underestimating the unsettling impact of injuries, players coming back too early and being underdone and a general loss of confidence. According to our coach on Melbourne radio yesterday we have debuted 13 new players in a season and a bit which is an extraordinary number. This places us in a good position going forward assuming that we can develop those guys and get some confidence back. Our position is better at present than Hawthorn who do not appear to have the young talent on their list.

There will be changes on our list at year's end just like there always is. I suspect that Hanners and Parker are carrying injuries that are hampering their performances. They are certainly not as mobile as in the past with Parker noticeably unable to jump for marks like he used to (knee perhaps?). Our tackling technique also needs work (pin an arm don't let them get handballs off easily like Carlton did on the weekend and stick the tackles).

Football has evolved and running players who can spread and break the lines are critical now more than ever. We just don't have enough of these at present.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Meg View Post
    "Just get the ball out of the congestion as quickly as you can - play volleyball if you need to. Other teams do this now."

I agree after watching many of the other matches this season and the way they are being umpired.
    Yes, it is very obvious the game is evolving this way. We haven't caught up yet.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottH View Post
    Key Turning points.
    - Jones free reversal.
    - Papley 50m
    - Jack getting run down in front of goal.
    - Not stopping play as soon as a stretcher was called for. Surely they could see there was a serious issue.
    If we were any good we would have won irrespective of those

Yes, volleyball is the answer , I mentioned this earlier, no time to handball....
    slap it, paddle it , punch it, soccer it....

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by caj23 View Post
    If we were any good we would have won irrespective of those
    True, but they all came at times when we could've had the ascendancy, but failed.

Match Day Rnd. 6. Carlton V Sydney. MCG 14.10 pm.

Quote Originally Posted by Hotpotato View Post
    Yes, volleyball is the answer , I mentioned this earlier, no time to handball....
    slap it, paddle it , punch it, soccer it....
    Yes to all that.

And re 'soccer it' while I did see one 'kicking in danger' penalty applied yesterday I am concerned by the large number being let go (thereby encouraging more toe pokes in the midst of congestion). Only a matter of time till a player sustains a bad injury from someone trying to soccer the ball out of a crowd.

Quote Originally Posted by Meg View Post

Why am I getting vision of a Monty Pyhton skit where all the players are just doing all kinds of silly manoeuvres around the ball just circling and stuff and no one wants to pick up he ball in case they get shot..so the players are just tapping the ball like its to hot to touch but as soon as they tap it they go backwards and forwards and around the ball and you see a slow movement towards goal when someone finally picks up and kicks only to be shot.

Think of the silly soccer game sketch.

If the game has changed then its a failure of our coaching staff to adapt our game plan to encompass the changes. At times we have been arrogant and insisted our game -plan is robust and flexible to keep up with the changes and it has but this year is the exception. To me our start reflects Freo last year with injuries to key players and a game plan that didn't evolve from the year before.

Cheers waz