Page 35 of 43 FirstFirst ... 25313233343536373839 ... LastLast

Thread: The Final Quarter / The Australian Dream (AG documentaries) and related discussion

Quote Originally Posted by Blood Fever View Post
    Newman is at least as bad as Jones but not as cunning. Melbourne not perfect just like anywhere else.
    Jones is worse because he is taken seriously by people in power. Pretty much no one has any respect for Newman. But as human beings, they're on a par.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Bloods05 View Post
    Jones is worse because he is taken seriously by people in power. Pretty much no one has any respect for Newman. But as human beings, they're on a par.
    Fair call. One day there will be a world without Alan and Sam. Add in Rupert.

Slight tangent but watched the Giants game yesterday and their second gamer Ian “Bobby” Hill wears number 37 out of respect for Adam Goodes.

Wonder if / when it will be seen on a Swans player!

Waleed Aly & Caroline Wilson discuss concerns post the Final Quarter doco. This exchange was taken from this morning's episode of the Offsiders on the ABC.

Adam Goodes documentary, The Final Quarter: Waleed Aly raises concerns

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    Slight tangent but watched the Giants game yesterday and their second gamer Ian “Bobby” Hill wears number 37 out of respect for Adam Goodes.

Wonder if / when it will be seen on a Swans player!
    Like you said I heard that he selected to wear 37 because Goodes was his idol. The first day he got his jumper he wore it to bed 😊.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Bloods05 View Post
    He is taken seriously by right wing people in power and dumb bogans.....preaching to the converted.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel_C View Post
    Like you said I heard that he selected to wear 37 because Goodes was his idol. The first day he got his jumper he wore it to bed 😊.
    I wonder what would have happened if the Swans had drafted him?

Outer wing, Lake Oval Sandridge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    He is taken seriously by right wing people in power and dumb bogans.....preaching to the converted.
    Whereas Newman only appeals to the latter.

On the Rookie List
    Thanks to the internet, I got to see "The Final Quarter" - certainly a powerful documentary. So well done and made more powerful by the fact it has no additional commentary or interviews included, just let the reports of the time tell the story.

The story is both uniquely Australian and universal. As a proud Canadian, I have to acknowledge the terrible injustices that our country have inflicted on our first peoples. Even today, "native" women are six times more likely to be murdered or missing than non-natives in my country. PK Subban, a hockey player who has been criticized for how he celebrated goals and how he carried himself got booed in many places whenever he had the puck. He is also a black man (of Jamaican heritage) in a sport dominated by white men. Another black hockey player, Wayne Simmonds, once had a banana thrown at him (the man who threw the banana was fined $200).

The documentary shows how words and actions can be twisted by some to make them seem totally different from what the reality was. The media can sometimes do this to sensationalize and some politicians are very good at using this tactic to vilify their opponents.

I knew of some of the story at the time and certainly noticed the awful booing (2013 happened to be the first year that I had access to every Swans/ AFL game) but certainly was not exposed to the media firestorm that was going on at the time.

To be honest, one of the things that I came away with from the movie was how remarkable a man Adam Goodes is. He was wonderfully eloquent, kept his cool under some terrible media pressure and was clearly focused on being a powerful positive force going forward. In reality, Adam Goodes may be a greater man off the footy field than he was on it!!

Great post DaveyCaper. Very interesting to get the perspective of a supporter who wasn’t in Australia to experience what was happening each week.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveyCaper View Post
    The documentary shows how words and actions can be twisted by some to make them seem totally different from what the reality was. The media can sometimes do this to sensationalize and some politicians are very good at using this tactic to vilify their opponents
    +2 Great post! The above is clearly still evident in today's HS as I noticed paywall articles from Andrew Bolt who describes the Goodes doco as an explosion of hypocrisy from commentators desperate to paint Australia as racists & implying Adam is the problem and not his race! Plus another article from colleague Rita Panahi who describes the Goodes booing as nothing short of histrionic and dense, trying to rewrite history.

P.S. I've got my ticket to the 2nd Goodes Documentary "The Australian Dream" to be shown at the Melbourne Film Festival in a couple weeks.

On the veteran's list
    Quote Originally Posted by KSAS View Post
    Plus another article from colleague Rita Panahi who describes the Goodes booing as nothing short of histrionic and dense, trying to rewrite history.
    Rita Panahi is a mad Hawthorn supporter and she'd be aware it was Hawthorn supporters who were one of the instigators of the anti-Goodes treatment. Also during "The Offsiders" discussion about the Goodes issue, Caroline Wilson made the point that Hawthorn was not a happy participant in the AFL "apology" to Goodes and they have led the charge against anything associated with the Swans. - COLA, academy (but in my opinion they don't see a problem with raping lower clubs of their best players - but of course that is the dog-eat-dog, bully-boy world Kennett thrives in.)
    Those who have the greatest power to hurt us are those we love.