Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rules and finals reminiscences (split from R9 changes thread)

Pushing for Selection

Rules and finals reminiscences (split from R9 changes thread)

Umpires to keep a close eye on blocking this weekend. Channel 7 Melb. Seems Clarkson had a bit of a winge to the powers that be at the AFL. I hope it comes back to bite him . The hawks are one of the worst at it

If 1%ers made that big a difference there would be a stat for them.

Which reminds me, we have an inside 50 stat, why not an outside 50 stat?
    The difference between insanity and genius is measured only in success.

Veteran Site Admin
    There is an "outside 50 stat" - it's called "rebounds from 50".

1%er stats are also recorded.

Quote Originally Posted by CureTheSane View Post
    If 1%ers made that big a difference there would be a stat for them.
    If 1%ers made twice as much difference they'd be called 2%ers.

- - - Updated - - -

What I personally hate more is the blocking the man on the mark.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    If 1%ers made twice as much difference they'd be called 2%ers.

- - - Updated - - -

Why is that allowed, why not just outlaw it? Oh that's right, Hawthorn started it!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    100% Agree.

This has annoyed me for many years now.
    We protect the player kicking the ball with a zone, why not the player standing the mark as well.

Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post
    Why is that allowed, why not just outlaw it? Oh that's right, Hawthorn started it!
    We may not like it, but it is within the laws of the game at the moment. If we think it is having an impact on games, there are things that can be done to reduce its impact..
    i) where is the 2nd players opponent? He could be there to minimise the blocks impact. Some clubs do this, we don't seem to
    ii) work the mark better. Be more aware of the potential block. If the 2nd player is within a meter of you, move over the mark a bit. If a player is in the vicinity, cross the mark as they create a buffer for you. Once play on is called, charge the player with the ball instead of getting caught in to going backwards to the 2nd player.

Collingwood created it, Hawthorn perfected it.

Goes up to 11
    Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post
    Collingwood were blocking the man on the mark well before Hawthorn were.

And I agree - it should be outlawed. Even we do it and it's a blight on the game.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by jono2707 View Post
    Collingwood were blocking the man on the mark well before Hawthorn were.

And I agree - it should be outlawed. Even we do it and it's a blight on the game.
    I don't even think Collingwood can be credited with coming up with the idea. I'm sure all of us remember the infamous free kick paid against Leo Barry late in the 2005 Qualifying Final when he was standing the mark and a Wiggle came in and interfered with him. (To this day I don't understand why that was a free against Barry - I think the umpire must have just made a blue).

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    I don't even think Collingwood can be credited with coming up with the idea. I'm sure all of us remember the infamous free kick paid against Leo Barry late in the 2005 Qualifying Final when he was standing the mark and a Wiggle came in and interfered with him. (To this day I don't understand why that was a free against Barry - I think the umpire must have just made a blue).
    Maybe the umpire was affected by the psychoactive fumes coming off Ben Cousins?

Outer wing, Lake Oval Sandridge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    The quality is very poor but this is a video of what happened with the Leo Barry free kick in the 2005 Qualifying Final.

Syndey vs West Coast- Stenglien free kick - YouTube

Leo was either running off the ground or making a lead and WCE Stenglein steps off the mark to bump him.
    Worst umpiring decision I've ever seen!
    Cost us the match! Would've cost a lesser team the Premiership!

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandridge View Post
    The quality is very poor but this is a video of what happened with the Leo Barry free kick in the 2005 Qualifying Final.

Syndey vs West Coast- Stenglien free kick - YouTube

Leo was either running off the ground or making a lead and WCE Stenglein steps off the mark to bump him.
    Worst umpiring decision I've ever seen!
    Cost us the match! Would've cost a lesser team the Premiership!
    So when I wrote "I'm sure all of us remember", and provided it as an example of West Coast shepherding the mark, I was a bit ga-ga as I clearly remembered very few of the details (other than it was outrageous and against Leo Barry). Still, it gave me (and maybe others) an opportunity to relive one of the more baffling decisions in the history of Swans games. Still, I wouldn't change a single thing about that wonderful 2005 finals series.

Thanks for hunting out some video footage.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast