you have nail it re: your view on the academy
    the better under16-17 NSW kids are better of going to vic for 17-18 years
    they get more of a chance ....

Quote Originally Posted by vicswan View Post
    Mr magoo
    you have nail it re: your view on the academy
    the better under16-17 NSW kids are better of going to vic for 17-18 years
    they get more of a chance ....
    Take Angus Anderson - went to Melbourne for his 16s and 17s year and played in the Northern Knights programme. Moved back to Coffs for his 18s year and was brought straight into the Academy programme as if he had just been wallowing away in Coffs all that time.

I think this is why a lot of the riverina boys head to melbourne private schools for Year 11 and 12. Much better exposure and level of competition than they would ever get just playing at home and then a few games with the giants.

Also note that the Academy had one boy in 16s level picked for NAB Academy - Mitchell Woods - I also understand he is a fullback in the NSW Blues junior rugby squad so clearly both codes are interested and must be pretty reasonable. Will be interesting to see which way he heads.

Veterans List
    Guys like Heeney, Mills, Campbell, Blakey were all well know and highly rated well before their draft year.

Anyone know if we have any likely prospects, not this year but next year in the 2023 draft?

Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post
    Guys like Heeney, Mills, Campbell, Blakey were all well know and highly rated well before their draft year.

Anyone know if we have any likely prospects, not this year but next year in the 2023 draft?
    Caiden Cleary. Lively in and under midfielder, who racked up big numbers as an underager, when playing for the academy this season. Also played pretty well for the Allies. Definite prospect

I also quite like the young ruck, Caleb May, but I'd like to see how he goes next season, before I start using terms like definite.

Veterans List
    I notice we didn't get any players invited to the combine, GWS a couple.

Thanks for the U17 info

Thanks for the U17 info
    0f the 3 kids invited to the combine this year 2 live and play in the Melbourne.............nab league
    only 2 kids from Qld and 2 from NT got invited this year .........the northern and tassie kids not rated or the programs they are in underperforming.

in nsw the RAMS (GWS and SWANS) must play full time in the NAB league .just like tassie does .that would be a great start

Thanks for the U17 info
    Swans actually had few u18s really in focus. Christian Webster is about it really. If swans are going to draft anyone this year , it could possibly be to rookie someone like Will Edwards as an overager.

Thanks for the U17 info
    Will Edwards now invited to the state combine. Only one from Swans Academy. FYI - the difference is that you are invited to AFL combine if three or more clubs express interest in you , state combine if two clubs express interest.

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar

Leon Cameron has been announced as the new coaching director of the academy. While some may quibble with his coaching record at the Giants, I think it's something of a coup to get someone with such high level experience, who should be able to pass on plenty of knowledge to our youngsters and other coaches.

That’s massive. He’s also aware of the struggles NSW clubs can face which definitely helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Veteran Site Admin
    Does anyone know whether the role Cameron is taking on is equivalent to the one previously held by Roos, O'Loughlin and Crouch, or is it more of a replacement for the recently departed Chris Smith?