Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: RWO Game Day Thread - Round 9 - June 4-5

Warming the Bench
    Quote Originally Posted by barracuda View Post
    North Shore under 19s have been winning by big margins this year. One North Shore parent commented that they have not had a single decent quarter of competition yet. I think Nth Shore are resting players now, and going easy. I think that makes bad footballers not good footballers. Not only that, the same North Shore parents lamented that the chances of their sons getting a game in prems this years was next to none. They referred to the log jam of talent North Shore has. Contrast that with Manly who have two regular prems players aged 16 (Sam Wicks) and 17 (Jarrod Osborne), and the week before last blooded another 16 year old (Evan Kaporis). There are only 2 other 16 year olds in Prems neither of which are at North Shore.
    Just checked and your info from a NS parent looks to be way off the mark. NS have played at least 9 kids from their U19s in their premier division team this year. That's a very high number at the half way point and if I was an U19s player at NS I would be fairly motivated by that. Maybe the parent you spoke to is a little one eyed.......

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Freedman View Post
    Just checked and your info from a NS parent looks to be way off the mark. NS have played at least 9 kids from their U19s in their premier division team this year. That's a very high number at the half way point and if I was an U19s player at NS I would be fairly motivated by that. Maybe the parent you spoke to is a little one eyed.......
    Thanks Tim, good point.

Quote Originally Posted by saviour01 View Post
    You get that in all sports though. I coach an u17s rugby league side who play div 2. One team has made the past 3 gfs (won 2) and same thing every year, lost players, can't compete in div 1 etc and are now 5-1 with a percentage of ~300%.

At least GSJ put the div 3 side in question up after 5 rounds (just had a look, assuming we are talking about the same side). In the jrl they wont do that to the side because they threaten they will fold so they just let them flog everyone every week.
    The GSJ competition committee spend a lot of time trying to balance out the junior divisions.
    They take their job seriously plus they are just volunteers.

Quote Originally Posted by Pmcc2911 View Post
    The GSJ competition committee spend a lot of time trying to balance out the junior divisions.
    They take their job seriously plus they are just volunteers.
    Thanks Pmcc2911, Does the GSJ or the NSW AFL analyse player registrations and transfers, to determine where the player lives relative to the target club, or to determine where academy players are moving?

If the GSJ or NSW AFL identify unusual volumes of transfers, say a large number of swans academy, or lots of players from areas outside the club area, will they intervene in the transfers on the basis of achieving a fair competition?

Senior Player
    Thanks Pmcc2911, Does the GSJ or the NSW AFL analyse player registrations and transfers, to determine where the player lives relative to the target club, or to determine where academy players are moving?

If the GSJ or NSW AFL identify unusual volumes of transfers, say a large number of swans academy, or lots of players from areas outside the club area, will they intervene in the transfers on the basis of achieving a fair competition?
    The was a thing called the Pathway - the PD clubs didnt like it and the league removed it. Given there are now no restrictions its open slather.

For juniors (ie U/17's below) the GSJ actively monitors team lists and encourages sharing around.
    They wont allow stock piling of academy players in one team.
    A couple of years ago Pennant Hills had a gun team stocked with rep players and I understand the GSJ encouraged them to split it into two teams with an even spread of talent.

For seniors, all the clearances (transfers) are visible on the SFL website so it easy to track who is moving where but I am not sure if the SFL intervenes at all.

Sounds a bit like you are suggesting a "local draft" for academy kids, pretty sure what the reaction to sending an acadamy kid to a "crap" club would be.
    In all honesty I think the academy just wants their kids to play where they can get the best development, evenness of competition is not on their agenda.

I know a couple of people at the Bombers and I put some of the questions raised earlier to them and this is my interpretation of their response.

�North Shore realised like many clubs across different codes that to have a sustainable, successful senior club you need a strong successful under age team (18�s, 19�s or 21�s) feeding players into the senior team.

Like many overnight successes the plan began 5 years ago with 16 players and a new coach and relied on the goodwill of the junior clubs in allowing permit players to help out with numbers to get a team on the park.

The aim was to create an environment based on discipline, teamwork and a bit of fun and the club has not wavered from that over the years.

The last plank of the plan was put in place this year with the establishment of a Div 2 team. The aim of the Div 2 team is to enable players who otherwise would not be playing footy to have a game and to develop their footy skills.
    The majority of players in the two 19�s teams are local juniors ranging from academy kids to kids who haven't played for a couple of years. They have also unearthed a couple of kids who have never played before that have some real talent.

The club does recruit amongst its junior base and this year has seen a couple kids from out of area come down looking for a game. Recruiting is all very well but unless you have the environment that the kids (and parents) like and enjoy then no amount of recruiting will keep them.

North Shore have really lifted their game in terms of engaging with the junior clubs to strengthen the relationships. They estimate each year across the junior clubs about 20-30 U/17�s never play football again after leaving juniors and they want to minimise that number. One thing is for sure with age level footy you have to constantly be developing your pathway as half of your team moves on every year.

They see St George as the model in developing and retaining young talent in the senior grades to be consistently competitive and see themselves as probably 2-3 years behind St George in that respect.

This year is probably the first year where there has been an number of ex 19�s move into the senior grades and they are contributing to the improvement in results there. Also there are a number of 19�s who regularly play seniors or reserves to help in their development, this also enables everyone in then 19�s squad to get a game each week.
    They prefer the younger players (17�s and below) to play primarily with their junior club and only play 19�s games from time to time. In fact there are a couple of 19yo who they see as too big and too good for U/19's so they play seniors exclusively.
    Their policy is only the bigger bodied 19yo should play seniors and would probably never play a 16yo in the seniors. I think even Callum Mills only played 1 or 2 senior games as 17 yo."

Hi Pmcc2911,

Thanks for getting this clarification. North Shore have done a great job and is seeing the well earnt rewards. I thought the comments regarding the younger players in seniors was interesting, as I think the swans academy states or implies that a player worth drafting should be getting senior games at 16 or 17. Clearly Mills indicates that is not true. I am not sure if the "bigger body" policy of North Shore quite rings true. I saw Wicks and Osborne playing for Manly prems against North shore, and they are both around 180cm and probably 70kgs. They were being covered by guys like darcy baron hay at times and didn't seem to be having too many problems. I think they both kicked 2 goals each in what ended up being a comfortable win for manly.

Thanks again

You are probably right about the academy guys being directed to play seniors by their academy masters, although I think most don't play seniors until they are in their 18th year.
    In their 17th year they typically play u/19's (probably all sorts of exceptions though).

Well done to North Shore.

We are similar with the bigger bodies second year 19s for div 4 but some of the smaller guns do get a go in div 1 if they are up to it. More likely to get hit off the ball or something with the club umpires in div 4 where as div 1 is a decent standard of footy.

There is nothing wrong with recruiting in any form, if a club is not doing any, they can only blame themselves at the end of the day. Good on North Shore for dedicating volunteer hours to improve their football club. I hear they aren't just looking to secure players but improve the standards at local clubs by being involved with them on a regular basis.

Warming the Bench
    North shore are swans academy side end of story....they are putting in the effort now thanks to the damage they did about 7 years ago when they won under 18s 4 years in a row.......of those premiership teams there are probably 6 players left...I think they are doing a good job reconciling the damage they did back then, I personally think Manly gave them a wake up call by winning the flag twice with their former 18s players.....helps having a good relationship with the swans too which manly don't have due to the giants crap

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast