Page 22 of 521 FirstFirst ... 121819202122232425263272122 ... LastLast

Thread: 2019 trading, drafting and list management: players and personnel

I think it was a thought experiment only because we are the 2 worst performing clubs with long serving coaches. Both might need to freshen things up.

Longmire has been at the Swans since 2003!

Veterans List
    Monday is the deadline for clubs to free up spots to take part in the mid season draft. The picking order is as always ladder reverse so we are nicely placed at present to have a top pick if we choose to participate, Tippett and Maibaum gives us two picks.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post
    Monday is the deadline for clubs to free up spots to take part in the mid season draft. The picking order is as always ladder reverse so we are nicely placed at present to have a top pick if we choose to participate, Tippett and Maibaum gives us two picks.
    We've already filled one of those spots (with Hayden McLean).

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post
    Jye Bolton/Mitchell Grigg please, mature mids who can make an immediate impact

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    We've already filled one of those spots (with Hayden McLean).
    Oops, out of sight, out of mind! Make that ONE potential pick, if we choose to :-)

Anyone know how the recent Irish lad went?

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    I was thinking the same, how the Melbourne clubs have robbed the northern clubs blind. Like Hawthorne getting Scully, O'Meara and Scrimshaw.

Collingwood got: Taylor Adams, James Aish, Beams, Crisp, Hoskin-Elliot and Treloar.
    Essendon got: Saad, Shiel and Devon Smith.

It makes things a lot easier when you can get access to so many good players.

We can't complain too much. We got Buddy and a lot of very good players from other clubs before that. But that was the end of it for us for 6 years. And we haven't gone after players from the other northern clubs. I think it's time to get going again in the post season. Hopefully we have a good base with our drafted players and we just have to fill a couple of gaps to make us contenders again.
    In addition, they've been able to trade bring them in for a much lower draft pick (or trade in some cases) than what they are worth, and they've recruited those players on lower $ contracts that what an interstate club, or the original club, would have had to pay.

Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    Listening to the Age AFL podcast. Last year Tim Kelly wanted to be traded back West but refused to be traded to Freo. This week, apparently his manager was touring their facilities.

Which demonstrates that players are primarily motivated by success, which would make the current Swans a lot less appealing than the 2016 or even 2018 version.

Caroline Wilson has a bee in her bonnet that the Swans not a happy club right now, which would make sense on one level simply because we’re losing. She implied it goes deeper than that.

She said Gary Rohan had said his last year was like “walking on eggshells”

See there have been suggestions in both the Age and Hun that we swap coaches with North. They get Longmire and we get Scott!
    I'd be happy with that. Both the Scotts are better coaches under the current style.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by troyjones2525 View Post
    Absolutely agree. All these quality high draft picks jumping ship and not 1 were ever linked to or close to coming to us.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
    That's because they're all from Victoria and want to go home. This is why the clubs in non-AFL locations need a retention allowance (ie COLA).

Quote Originally Posted by S.S. Bleeder View Post
    That's because they're all from Victoria and want to go home. This is why the clubs in non-AFL locations need a retention allowance (ie COLA).
    Two words - Stephen Coniglio.

He's from Perth (as is Jaeger O'Meara). I think getting to play at the MCG in front of 90,000 during the H&A season is another big draw for players who are playing in front of 15-20k at Metricon / Gabba / Spotless.

It did work in our favour with Buddy. Some players do want to get away from that sort of attention.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    Two words - Stephen Coniglio.

He's from Perth (as is Jaeger O'Meara). I think getting to play at the MCG in front of 90,000 during the H&A season is another big draw for players who are playing in front of 15-20k at Metricon / Gabba / Spotless.

It did work in our favour with Buddy. Some players do want to get away from that sort of attention.
    Didn't Shiel recently say playing at Spotless was like playing in a graveyard?

If you're certain to be getting games then the attraction of huge crowds weekly must be a consideration when choosing a destination. Vic clubs also have much less travel load.

I’m wondering our options Re trading and picks?

We will have st kildas 2nd round pick that could be in the range of pick 20-28

Plus we will have a top8 pick most likely and another second round pick which may provide a chance to go hard for a key player who can’t be matched for $ and wants to stay in Sydney or move here ? Plus potentially do a hawthorn and use a first round or second round pick for the next year ?

Money freeing up ?

Macca
    Grundy
    Jack
    Reid ?

Smith will stay on a smaller contract is my guess with his age and injury and speed slowing not great timing for him ......plus young guys getting some game time in 2019 but smithy at his best is important

Clarke and Thurlow I wonder if they signed for one year or two ?

Menzel - only one year but if injury free he is important

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Auntie.Gerald View Post
    I’m wondering our options Re trading and picks?

We will have st kildas 2nd round pick that could be in the range of pick 20-28

Plus we will have a top8 pick most likely and another second round pick which may provide a chance to go hard for a key player who can’t be matched for $ and wants to stay in Sydney or move here ? Plus potentially do a hawthorn and use a first round or second round pick for the next year ?.........
    Not quite right, I posted a couple of pages back, we currently have
    Pick 3, our first
    pick 35, St.Kilda second, should go higher as they are currently 2nd which is hard to see them maintaining
    pick 39, our third
    pick 47, WCE third, could drift as they should finish better than 8th
    pick 57, our fourth
    pick 58, Carlton 4th

Agreed. Midfielders are our priority for the next draft.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk