Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 789101112 LastLast

Thread: Swans vs Giants - general match discussion

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by ugg View Post
    The Arsenal game kicked off at 8pm, should have finished around 9:50 which would have been around 15-20 minutes before our game. The line to buses were short (definitely shorter than the SCG ones) but I noticed the direct path from Spotless to the train station was blocked and they forced everyone to walk around the block to get to the entrance.
    They did, which was irritating.

However, the train frequency seemed to be much better than "normal" leaving Olympic Park. Even with relatively big crowds at Swans games, there would usually be a five minute gap - at least - between trains. On Saturday, once we were in sight of the platform, the trains seemed to be arriving with a much shorter gap, probably as short as can be managed safely. Indeed, at one stage it felt like we were ages from even entering the barricaded part of the queue, yet barely ten minutes later we were on a train. It really wasn't all that bad in the end.

Quote Originally Posted by Billericay View Post
    I left Spotless straight after the game, and was un-pleasantly surprised to find they'd scheduled both games to finish at the same time. There was an appalling scrum of people trying to get a train from Olympic Park, but the whole trip, door to door (to Newtown, including a 15 minute walk) took me an hour.
    We couldn't believe how quick we got away from P1. We thought with everything on it would be a nightmare, but we were lucky to get a park right near the secondary spiral out, and were out of the homebush bay precinct in less than 10 minutes and onto the motorway home.
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Quote Originally Posted by KTigers View Post
    Sorry Doc, I think your maths may be a little awry. At the recent GWS game against Geelong there were at most 1,500 to
    2,000 people supporting the Cats out of the 15,000 crowd, so 10% to 15% of the crowd were supporting the away team.
    If Geelong played us at the SCG then a similar ratio would show up there to support the Cats. The average crowd at a non
    derby GWS game at Spotless this year is about 12,000, I'd say about 9,000 or so are GWS members. The rest are away
    team supporters and one-off footy attenders and neutrals.
    So about half their membership show up for a game. It's very similar ratio for us at the SCG. There are Swans members
    whose first team is not the Swans, it's probably not as high a ratio of GWS members whose first team is not the Giants, but
    you know, the Swans have been around just a little longer than the Giants.
    In the five seasons from 1990 to 1994, the Swans played 54 games at the SCG, the team had been in Sydney for a decade,
    we were the only AFL team in Sydney and the average SCG crowd for that entire period was 9,932
    . And some of them
    were supporting the opposition. Sure we weren't much chop then, but if you really care, you show up regardless.
    I'm not sure we should get too much joy or be on our high horse from GWS low-ish crowd numbers compared to ours.
    We have had a thirty year head start in Sydney.
    I reckon on Saturday night the crowd was basically 50/50. 9,000 a piece for us and the Giants, and the remaining 3,000
    were neutrals/first-timers and a few that got the stadiums mixed up and were disappointed to find Arsenal weren't
    playing.
    I was trying to demonstrate that you can take numbers and make them say whatever you want. I could take your numbers and make them say the same as I said before at a bit of a stretch. Without concrete evidence, they are just numbers.

You cannot compare our beginnings in Sydney with GWS's. No benefits, (draft or salary cap) no zone, no academy, no training facilities, and no support from HQ. Nothing. Translates to no success and no support. I get so annoyed how people dismiss so easily the struggles that we had when we first arrived, and then proceeded to say GWS have done well to develop a fan base. Spare me, they've developed nothing. To date they've managed to gather as their membership a few AFL tragics who are members of both clubs or a few dissatisfied Swans members who feel that the Sydney Swans have got too big and don't stroke their little egos enough. 18,000 members, spare me.

I think the swans average of 9000 during the early 1990's is very generous. That was a time when all codes were inflating figures for political purposes. If it was a man over 5000 of be surprised.

Anyway, as mentioned, it's impossible to compare beginnings between GWS and swans. Both are from different eras.

Giants growth has been slow and steady. 2 records in two weeks. (Non-derby, and all the ground record) First sell out. If it continues they can justify the extra 6000 stand they want to build at the scoreboard end to get it up to 30,000 which is a good size for a new team, and means they can host finals.

Given this game only just sold out and the swans fans general dislike of the area and history of poor attendance out there, I'd say it has the green light for hosting a giants/swans final.

Senior Player
    In relation to our average home crowds from 1990 to 1994, the figures in the previous post come from
    the AFL Tables site. My understanding is their figures come from the AFL. I guess it's possible they and/or the AFL
    just make these numbers up, but having attended most of those games from that not-so-wonderful era I would have
    guessed similar numbers to what was reported. When you look at the historical home crowd numbers for all the northern
    states teams it seems to say that building on going support for them through the turnstiles is quite a slow process.
    We have the advantage of having a history of playing in Melbourne, and have obviously held onto a lot of that support
    judging by how many Swans members live in Melbourne and the support we get at games there. GWS and the Suns
    have the relative advantage that the AFL may have learnt something from our and the Bears early years.
    Last edited by KTigers; 17th July 2017 at 06:44 PM.

[QUOTE=barry;732449] First sell out. [QUOTE]

If that was a true 'sell out', I'll walk backwards to Bourke. Yes I know there are allowances for members and the like, but by god there were a hell of a lot of empty seats for a so called 'sell out', all around the ground. I would hazard a guess of 5,000ish. I know there are many a mystery in the ticketing systems that may make it a 'technical' sell out, but in reality it didn't appear that way.
    Last edited by mcs; 17th July 2017 at 10:56 PM.
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

[QUOTE=mcs;732473][QUOTE=barry;732449] First sell out.

If that was a true 'sell out', I'll walk backwards to Bourke. Yes I know there are allowances for members and the like, but by god there were a hell of a lot of empty seats for a so called 'sell out', all around the ground. I would hazard a guess of 5,000ish. I know there are many a mystery in the ticketing systems that may make it a 'technical' sell out, but in reality it didn't appear that way.
    I agree. There were a lot of empty seats, but then there were probably 5,000 people standing in the enormous queues for food and drink.

Well I know people who didnt go because tickets weren't available. But crowd of 21k in a ground that takes 24k means 3000 empty seats.

Crowd was probably 55/45 to giants, but the game never reached levels to get them going. The draw and Richmond win were much louder in the final quarter with only 12k

Goes up to 11
    Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post

Crowd was probably 55/45 to giants, but the game never reached levels to get them going. The draw and Richmond win were much louder in the final quarter with only 12k
    Sounds like you've been to a few games at Spotless this year, so can you give us a comparison between there and the SCG games you've been to this year on atmosphere, crowd engagement etc? It'd be interesting to hear how experiences at the two grounds this year would compare.

Quote Originally Posted by jono2707 View Post
    Sounds like you've been to a few games at Spotless this year, so can you give us a comparison between there and the SCG games you've been to this year on atmosphere, crowd engagement etc? It'd be interesting to hear how experiences at the two grounds this year would compare.
    Your making a dangerous assumption there Jono that Barry has actually been to any games at the SCG this year, given his previously stated disdain for the place

- - - Updated - - -

[QUOTE=Billericay;732477][QUOTE=mcs;732473]
    First sell out.

I agree. There were a lot of empty seats, but then there were probably 5,000 people standing in the enormous queues for food and drink.
    Haha Billericay maybe you are right

We got there early and thus ate at half time in the Ressies game so no lines at all - but could see the very long lines later on. We then enjoyed our usual toasted sandwiches at the BP Marulan Roadhouse on the way home (they taste so much better after a big win!)

- - - Updated - - -

Well I know people who didnt go because tickets weren't available. But crowd of 21k in a ground that takes 24k means 3000 empty seats.

I thought there was around 18-19K there, and that the 21K was a pretty generous estimation (as both the AFL and NRL are now experts at doing!) - still a very good crowd overall though.

Quote Originally Posted by mcs View Post
    Your making a dangerous assumption there Jono that Barry has actually been to any games at the SCG this year, given his previously stated disdain for the place
    A very dangerous assumption.

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 789101112 LastLast