Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast

Thread: Changes for Round 11 V Suns

Ego alta, ergo ictus Ruck'n'Roll's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt80 View Post
    I think Sam Reid will spend more time down back minding one of the Gold Coast big forwards so you would not need to play another defender to replace Rampe.
    I hope Sam does play down back - I find it terrifying every time he takes a centre bounce, the sooner DirtyKurt can do his share the better. That was Longmire's professed goal for him preseason.
    Loose translation from the Latin is - I am tall, so I hit out.

For me, it is all about the weather.
    If it's fine then both play.
    If it's wet, I'd go for..... Derrickx.
    Only because I thought Pykie was very average in the wet.
    The difference between insanity and genius is measured only in success.

Suspended by the MRP
    Quote Originally Posted by goswannies View Post
    If they play both talls. I wonder if Champion Data have a stat on the tallest average height of a side ever played? Ours would neay rival most NBL sides with Buddy, Tippett, Reid, Goodesy, Pykey & Derro
    The balance with one genuine ruckman is ideal. Two genuine ruckman plus our 4 big forward tall's will make us to top heavy on a big fast ground like Metricon.

Opti-pessi-misti
    The trouble for Mitchell is that both Parker and Birdy are playing arguably career best footy this year. Maybe it is no coincidence - both those players would have been aware of the competitive situation. As has been stated often, Cunningham and Lloyd are providing the extra speed needed these days and with BJ being potentially included this week rather than Mitchell, for the Suns game at least, the need for speed is seen as greater.

I would love to see Mitchell get a game. He came with such great raps, but hampered by every kind of injury has not had an opportunity to settle into the firsts and show just how good he is. It is a real dilemma.

Robinson, Biggs and perhaps Membrey are also knocking on the door along with Rohan, ROK and LRT. But the room is full! If Rampe is out this week whether Rohan or BJ get the nod, only the next few hours will tell!

IMO physically it would be better for Gary to stay in the 2's all season to build up confidence under less pressure and stress but it depends on where he is at psychologically.

As for rucks, I would bring Pyke back through the 2's.

It's too difficult to make a call on fitness, but if Pyke is fully fit to go, he should come in for Derrickx. I think we're a 2 goal better team with Pyke compared to Tom.

The other possible fitness change, Rampe, could be taken by Rohan. I think the 2 are remarkably close to what they bring to the side. I wouldn't mind seeing how Gaz does in his new halfback role.

Goes up to 11
    Quote Originally Posted by goswannies View Post
    If they play both talls. I wonder if Champion Data have a stat on the tallest average height of a side ever played? Ours would neay rival most NBL sides with Buddy, Tippett, Reid, Goodesy, Pykey & Derro
    Pykey in for Benny then we might be a real chance there.....

Quote Originally Posted by rojo View Post

I would love to see Mitchell get a game. He came with such great raps, but hampered by every kind of injury has not had an opportunity to settle into the firsts and show just how good he is. It is a real dilemma.
    Karmichael Hunt bashing about the midfield after 10 months off might do some damage and open up an opportunity for young Tom.
    Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way you'll be a mile away and he'll be shoeless.

Official no change

[QUOTE=Reggi;642950]Official no change[/QUOTE
    I wonder what that says about Pyke's fitness in today's training. Hope we see him in the reserves. ]

"Mike Pyke will also make his return this weekend via the Swans reserves, who will play a curtain raiser against the Suns reserves at Metricon Stadium on Sunday morning.

Longmire said the 30-year-old would benefit from a run in the NEAFL after missing four weeks with a hamstring injury.

?He?s missed a month of football now, and this week was the first time he?s trained with the squad,? he said.

?We just thought it was a good opportunity for him to get some game time under his belt without the risk of playing senior football.

?Hopefully he gets through the game and pulls up really well and that?s what we?re aiming for.?

Suspended by the MRP
    Quote Originally Posted by Meg View Post
    "Mike Pyke will also make his return this weekend via the Swans reserves, who will play a curtain raiser against the Suns reserves at Metricon Stadium on Sunday morning.

Longmire said the 30-year-old would benefit from a run in the NEAFL after missing four weeks with a hamstring injury.

?He?s missed a month of football now, and this week was the first time he?s trained with the squad,? he said.

?We just thought it was a good opportunity for him to get some game time under his belt without the risk of playing senior football.

?Hopefully he gets through the game and pulls up really well and that?s what we?re aiming for.?
    Ugg has mentioned that the Gold Coast Reserves have one young ruckman who has to face up to Pyke, Toby N and Naismith. He will be sore after the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt80 View Post
    There is no desperation to get Tom D out of the senior side. He has held his own against some good challenges and has shown significant improvement.

This gives us the luxury of managing Pyke?s return through the reserves. Pyke?s game time can be managed through the reserves and it?s important to note that the Swans number one ruckman needs to ruck for 80% of the game and take almost all centre bounces. That?s a huge workload and you need to be 100% game fit to complete the task.

Tom D is 100% game fit and is doing a good job. Pyke needs to get to 100% match fitness. I think this could take Pyke two weeks in the reserves.

Pyke is my preferred number one ruck option, but not under done.
    I'm with you Matt. I never thought I would be saying this about Tom, but under our current team structure and form he stays in the team. Mike and Tom bring us 2 different games. Mike brings us better tapping, better marking and better kick for goal. Tom brings such a physical presence to the rucks and basically batters the opposition ruckman down. Opposing midfielders are also cautious. He is incredibly fit too and can run out a game better than Mike. I still believe Mike is a great no.2 ruckman. I just don't feel under our current structure that we need a no.2 ruckman. We have a great balance in our forward line that we can't afford a resting ruckman up there. We would lose that defensive forward pressure and the ability to rotate midfielders up there.

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast