Page 27 of 452 FirstFirst ... 172324252627282930313777127 ... LastLast

Thread: 2020 trading, drafting and list management: players and personnel

Ego alta, ergo ictus Ruck'n'Roll's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by KSAS View Post
    Hearing Melb media reporting we could have serious cap issues in the next 2 years & retaining some of our young guns, if the CBA later this year reduces TPP as is expected. They site Buddy's remaining 2 year contract worth $2.3m is locked in stone and can't be altered as we had agreed to with the AFL when we first signed Buddy as RFA. Melb Media now saying that the AFL had originally warned us the risk with Buddy's contract and reckoning it might now come back to bite us! Surely that can't be right or fair if the AFL decides to reduce every player's payment by x% due to this unforeseen circumstance with covid-19 but not Buddy's? Sounds to me certain people in the media would like to see us get punished again for getting Buddy, after we'd already received (unfair) 2 year trade ban followed by losing COLA.
    Sow the wind, reap the whirlwind
    Loose translation from the Latin is - I am tall, so I hit out.

Veterans List
    James Hird said that our trade offer for Daniher was inadequate. I think the peptides have still affected his brain.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Mel_C View Post
    James Hird said that our trade offer for Daniher was inadequate. I think the peptides have still affected his brain.
    Does anyone even listen to Hird nowadays?

Our offer was adequate in OUR opinion and that's all that matters. Let's see if there's a revisit in this years list and cap ravaged trade period. A lot of water to go under the bridge before that pops up in the diary.

Tom Mitchell
    Tom Scully
    Jaeger O’Meara
    Jon Patton
    ORourke
    Sam Frost
    Impey
    Wingard
    Scrimshaw
    Henderson

Out of interest which one of these trades Hawthorn made would NOT be in our 22 right now ?
    "be tough, only when it gets tough"

Quote Originally Posted by Auntie.Gerald View Post
    Tom Mitchell
    Tom Scully
    Jaeger O’Meara
    Jon Patton
    ORourke
    Sam Frost
    Impey
    Wingard
    Scrimshaw
    Henderson

Out of interest which one of these trades Hawthorn made would NOT be in our 22 right now ?
    If we traded like Hawthorne we would probably face trade sanctions and question marks over our salary cap

Quote Originally Posted by Auntie.Gerald View Post
    Tom Mitchell
    Tom Scully
    Jaeger O’Meara
    Jon Patton
    ORourke
    Sam Frost
    Impey
    Wingard
    Scrimshaw
    Henderson

I note that you don't say best 22.

If you're talking about our best 22 I'm not sure that Patton, O'Rourke, or Scrimshaw would be in our best 22. This is partly because our needs were different to the Hawks e.g we have Buddy, Reid, McCartin and Blakey so had less need for a player like Patton than the Hawks.

Anyway, I'm feeling my disgruntlement about our trading strategy the past couple of trade periods at the moment. I, like most of us, hoped that we would have done more to strengthen our midfield than we did (or even apparently attempted). In this most recent trade period I suggested that we might do well to pursue Hugh Greenwood so it's irksome to see him doing well at the Suns. The previous season we had a go at vandenBerg but we didn't get him. As it turns out he's been mostly injured since but that kind of a contested ball winner to help Joey and Parks and Hewett out in the middle is something we're missing, more so since losing Jones.
    All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated, and well supported in logic and argument than others. -Douglas Adams, author (11 Mar 1952-2001)

Senior Player
    Interesting read by Jake Niall today. Almost deserves its own thread but I'll put it here.

Sydney on the brink of recession: the hard road for the Swans

Says Swans are now "a net exporter of mature talent", hard to argue with that really.

To a degree, club insiders concur with much of the diagnosis of Roos (which developed in a conversation with this journalist), although there was an understandable reluctance to make it sound as though they were complaining about the tougher road ahead.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by neilfws View Post
    Interesting read by Jake Niall today. Almost deserves its own thread but I'll put it here.

Sydney on the brink of recession: the hard road for the Swans

Says Swans are now "a net exporter of mature talent", hard to argue with that really.
    Very good article, Niall is in the top echelon of AFL observers. Hard to disagree with anything written there.

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post
    Very good article, Niall is in the top echelon of AFL observers. Hard to disagree with anything written there.
    I took particular notice of this statement by a (very good) Victorian reporter:

... the Swans have long argued that COLA was really a leveller rather than an advantage; the AFL, clearly, thought otherwise and finally acceded to the demands of the Victorian lobby, headed by Collingwood and Hawthorn.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by dimelb View Post
    I took particular notice of this statement by a (very good) Victorian reporter:

... the Swans have long argued that COLA was really a leveller rather than an advantage; the AFL, clearly, thought otherwise and finally acceded to the demands of the Victorian lobby, headed by Collingwood and Hawthorn.
    I tried to find an article from 2009 in which Eddie was strongly supportive of a cost of living allowance in Sydney. That opinion was published at the time he was living in Sydney. I couldn't find it, but found this that directly refers to the 2009 article (and hence proves it isn't a figment of my imagination).

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/...324-2go25.html

As for the rest of the article:-

- the idea that recruiting players from other clubs is something that the Swans have lost a monopoly over is daft. We never had a monopoly.

- the Swans' recruitment from other clubs has been varied over the last 25 years - from the underappreciated at their club (like Shaw, Kennedy and Richards, the last of which we still paid a first round draft pick for) to higher profile, established players like Lockett, Williams, Roos and Franklin, taking in those in between like Maxfield, Hall, Mattner.

- that the club seems currently to be a "net exporter of talent" is, at least in part, a reflection on better recruiting over the last decade compared to the previous decade. No-one wanted our discards or second grade players then because they weren't much good. More recently teams have seen value in the likes of Nankervis and Newman and Cameron - they were all fringe players for us, at best.

- we're not the only club with a player on a salary at Franklin's level so it can't be the only thing handicapping us in terms of retaining those we want to retain or attracting other talent

- judging a club as in recession based on missing the finals for a single year (or even two years, if the footy world has already made up their minds we won't make finals this year) is a bit dumb in a competition where at least half (more than half for most of the last decade) fail to make the finals every year

- Franklin is injured at the moment, and was injured for around half of last year. Before then, his ability to get on the paddock was pretty good, even if sometimes it was while carrying injuries. Many players from all clubs get injured, including some highly paid ones. (See Daniher at Essendon.) It happens. It's not Buddy's fault, it's not the club's fault. When he has been able to play, few would question that he's made the team more competitive. He's won us a few games we would probably otherwise have lost. We spent most of last year losing without him by fairly modest margins. We lost last week - without him - by a very small margin. Richmond were awful yesterday without their million dollar player. It happens. Teams generally play less well when their best players are missing. If we were regularly losing with him on the paddock I think it would be far more concerning that losing (modestly) without him. That suggests we're not completely reliant on him, albeit he makes us better. For me, that vindicates that the decision to recruit him was reasonable, remains reasonable, and doesn't indicate anything much different with our club's list and cap management to other clubs. (And that's ignoring the entertainment, membership, media-inches and possibly sponsorship benefits he's delivered.)

Senior Player
    Typical of Niall: lots of conventional wisdom, little original insight.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by MattW View Post
    Typical of Niall: lots of conventional wisdom, little original insight.
    Can't agree, I thought Niall summed up where we've got to.

We were leaders in finding gems amongst others clubs dross but we are no longer. This is, as Niall points out, due to a number of factors, not just one, and I think he's laid out those factors fairly clearly.

We were a nett importer of talent for many years, we are now a nett exporter, that's fact. Things may change, may not. Ladder position or potential ladder position assists in attracting talent as noted by where Free Agents choose to go. It may be cyclic but geography, expansion clubs and the Vic centricity of the AFL organisation does favour certain clubs.

Best that you nail your draft picks to lessen the need for attracting mature talent and keep winning games, starting today eh?