Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast

Thread: JLT Round 2 v GWS Giants @BISP 7.40 pm Friday 3 March

Senior Player
    A few people commented at Guardian Aus to say this is a great sports photo. Have to agree with them!

AFL: Buddy Franklin shines in Sydney's pre-season defeat of Giants | Sport | The Guardian

4452.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by dejavoodoo44 View Post
    Yes, that Franklin kid is showing a bit of promise. And it's interesting that none of us has mentioned just how imperious Mills was in difficult conditions. It seems that we just expect it.
    He is just that good that we too easily overlook it and just expect it.
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Industrial Fan View Post
    Agree Nico. That was sheparding at marking contest from Mumford.
    Not if the ball's within 5 metres it isn't, unless the shepherding/blocking rule has changed, but yes, if the ball is further away, you're right. It's a rule often misinterpreted by some umpires, and all this commentator talk of 'blocking', when in fact a player has laid a good legal 'shepherd' really annoys me. Mumford's wasn't an ideal shepherd though.......but you can bump to effect a shepherd....within 5 metres of the ball/play.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    Not if the ball's within 5 metres it isn't, unless the shepherding/blocking rule has changed, but yes, if the ball is further away, you're right. It's a rule often misinterpreted by some umpires, and all this commentator talk of 'blocking', when in fact a player has laid a good legal 'shepherd' really annoys me. Mumford's wasn't an ideal shepherd though.......but you can bump to effect a shepherd....within 5 metres of the ball/play.
    You're not allowed to shepherd someone out of a marking contest, regardless of how far away the ball is.

Well, Mumford is a dirty little pig isn't he?
    Toby Greene should get a month for the air strike, and he should apologise to Harrison. Harrison didn't touch him.

Hate the bogans.
    Wild speculation, unsubstantiated rumours, silly jokes and opposition delight in another's failures is what makes an internet forum fun.
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones who let in the light.

Warming the Bench
    Was Mummy a 'dirty' player when he played for us?

I recall he got 2 weeks for a sling tackle on Gary Ablett. I don't recall much else - did I miss something?

Quote Originally Posted by Sandrevan View Post
    I recall he got 2 weeks for a sling tackle on Gary Ablett. I don't recall much else - did I miss something?
    That was 2010. Then in 2011 he got a two-match ban for another heavy sling tackle that concussed Carlton midfielder David Ellard.

Whether we like it or not , intimidation is part of the game . Refer to 2012 GF when Hawthorn pulverized us in the early stages.Every team needs some players with mongrel , because skill alone will not always get the job done .

From today's MRP statement:

'Contact between the Sydney Swans� Lance Franklin and the GWS Giants� Tim Taranto from the second quarter of Friday�s match was assessed. The ball was kicked forward by GWS� Heath Shaw, and then punched further down the ground in the air. Taranto was approaching the loose ball, with Franklin coming to the contest from his right and Shane Mumford approaching from down the ground. Mumford seeks to shepherd Franklin away from his teammate and Franklin then goes on to make contact with Taranto. It was the view of the panel that contact between Franklin and Taranto was caused by circumstances outside the control of player Franklin that could not be reasonably foreseen. No further action was taken.'

Quote Originally Posted by jren View Post
    Whether we like it or not , intimidation is part of the game . Refer to 2012 GF when Hawthorn pulverized us in the early stages.Every team needs some players with mongrel , because skill alone will not always get the job done .
    Couldn't agree more. We may have lost Mummy, but thankfully we locked up Harry Cunningham until 2019.

Warming the Bench
    Quote Originally Posted by Meg View Post
    From today's MRP statement:

'Contact between the Sydney Swans� Lance Franklin and the GWS Giants� Tim Taranto from the second quarter of Friday�s match was assessed. The ball was kicked forward by GWS� Heath Shaw, and then punched further down the ground in the air. Taranto was approaching the loose ball, with Franklin coming to the contest from his right and Shane Mumford approaching from down the ground. Mumford seeks to shepherd Franklin away from his teammate and Franklin then goes on to make contact with Taranto. It was the view of the panel that contact between Franklin and Taranto was caused by circumstances outside the control of player Franklin that could not be reasonably foreseen. No further action was taken.'
    Thanks Meg - been on tender hooks waiting the outcome.

Didn't think Buddy would get a suspension - but you never know these days.

Note that the MRP stated that the incident with Mummy shepherding wasn't a marking contest - the ball had been punched.

Goodesgoodesgoodesgoodes! Industrial Fan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jren View Post
    Every time I see Luke Hodge I see BLT eating him alive just in front of goal in the 2012 gf.

We dished a bit out in that gf. Goodes in the 4th when he could only run in a straight line.

Mummy is who he was when he played for us. Seems hypocritical to question his methods now.

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast