Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: the best to play Sydney footy

Quote Originally Posted by ShortHalfHead View Post
    Noticed that Blacktown had an ordinary year in the SFA including a 534 point loss to Uni NSW.
    81.49 to 0.1. That's one I remember from all the years of collecting Footy Records. Kinda glad they folded before I hit Senior age footy, it was the closest team at the time!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by justabaraker View Post
    Pekay, some of us wonder what happened to YOUR invitation to try out with the Swans
    We were Gypsy folk, probably still sitting in a letterbox somewhere.

Warming the Bench
    Quote Originally Posted by justabaraker View Post
    Oh wow, how good is it to read that old Record ! Brings back memories of Saturday mornings listening to the SFL footy show with Simon Kelly and Michael Byrne. Or Helen Meyer and Michael Clift on the south-side equivalent.
    I seem to recall that the Record had a proper/serious editor in those days - you can tell by the passion and detail in the writing. Who was he ?
    Whoever he was, he declared Ruskuklic as the best forward seen in Sydney.
    Kevin Taylor did the Record for about three years, around 94-96.

He was a very thorough records keeper and an excellent writer.

That was the peak for the Footy Record in my time in Sydney football.

He still runs this site:
    http://footystats.freeservers.com/

There is an excellent chronology of the game on there somewhere and also an extensive history of the game in Sydney.

He's getting on now, so I don't know how much longer he will want to do the site.
    Last edited by mountainsofpain; 26th February 2014 at 02:39 PM. Reason: More info

Warming the Bench
    Noticed that Blacktown had an ordinary year in the SFA including a 534 point loss to Uni NSW.
    That was their last year in Sydney football, before their "merger" with Parramatta in 1995.

Their scorelines that year were disastrous. Whilst that one was the worst, there were plenty of other shockers. They probably had 4000 odd points kicked against them that season.

Mind you, those sort of scores couldn't be repeated in today's environment because the SFA had time on back then and the quarters were about 20-25 minutes of actual playing time (can't remember the exact number).
    Last edited by mountainsofpain; 26th February 2014 at 02:44 PM. Reason: Extra info.

I found their scores from a previous thread (and quiet day at work for me...)

Round 1 - lost by 229 to Camden (A)
    Round 2 - lost by 221 to Bankstown (H)
    Round 3 - lost by 150 to Hawkesbury (H)
    Round 4 - lost by 326 to Penrith (A)
    Round 5 - won by 56 v Penshurst (H)
    Round 6 - lost by 152 to Liverpool (H)
    Round 7 - lost by 312 to Sutherland (A)
    Round 8 - lost by 296 to Wollongong (H)
    Round 9 - lost by 534 to UNSW (A)
    Round 10 - lost by 272 to Manly (H)
    Round 11 - lost by 185 to Mac Uni (A)
    Round 12 - lost by 110 to Camden (H)
    Round 13 - lost by 310 to Bankstown (A)
    Round 14 - lost by 279 to Hawkesbury (A)
    Round 15 - lost by 215 to Penrith (H)
    Round 16 - bye, thank Hird! I think they were awarded a win for this, as Penshurst had folded.
    Round 17 - lost by 232 to Liverpool (A)
    Round 18 - lost by 182 to Sutherland (H)

As of Round 18 that year, they had 313 For and 4253 Against. 2 wins, 16 losses. PC of 6.5

Quote Originally Posted by Pekay View Post

Round 16 - bye, thank Hird! I think they were awarded a win for this, as Penshurst had folded.

As of Round 18 that year, they had 313 For and 4253 Against. 2 wins, 16 losses. PC of 6.5
    Just 20 years later, a change of management, a dozen or so full time employed players and they are laughing

Quote Originally Posted by Pekay View Post

If only they could have had Peter Ruscuklic playing for them.....................

Warming the Bench
    Just 20 years later, a change of management, a dozen or so full time employed players and they are laughing
    I wonder if the current version of the club even knows they had a predecessor......

If Blacktown were that bad, ( judging from the score lines), then how bad were Penshurst if they were beaten by Blacktown?

Warming the Bench
    Quote Originally Posted by Pmcc2911 View Post
    If Blacktown were that bad, ( judging from the score lines), then how bad were Penshurst if they were beaten by Blacktown?
    Penshurst were worse.

To put it in context, 1994 was the year that the old Div 2 was wound up and its clubs came up into Div 1. Clearly it was a difficult transition for them.

Blacktown was never a strong club in Div 2 and Penshurst were only a relatively new club. Both couldn't handle Div 1.

Penshurst basically folded before the end of 1994 and Blacktown saw out the year and were taken over by Parramatta the following year.

Of the other Div 2 clubs, Camden also came up to Div 1 and were playing in the South Coast league within a couple of years. Bargo didn't come up and I think went straight to the South Coast league. Heathcote must have folded.

Even the once strong Bankstown - which was already in Div 1 when Div 2 was wound up - only lasted a couple of years and merged with Liverpool to become South-West Sydney in 1996.

The only two of the 1993 Div 2 clubs which lasted the distance in Div 1 were Hawkesbury and Penrith, both of whom struggled for much - if not most - of their time there.

The difference between Div 2 and Div 1 was just too big and this is why I am in favour of the current graduated divisional system.

Most, not much!

Quote Originally Posted by mountainsofpain View Post
    Penshurst were worse.

To put it in context, 1994 was the year that the old Div 2 was wound up and its clubs came up into Div 1. Clearly it was a difficult transition for them.

Blacktown was never a strong club in Div 2 and Penshurst were only a relatively new club. Both couldn't handle Div 1.

Penshurst basically folded before the end of 1994 and Blacktown saw out the year and were taken over by Parramatta the following year.

Of the other Div 2 clubs, Camden also came up to Div 1 and were playing in the South Coast league within a couple of years. Bargo didn't come up and I think went straight to the South Coast league. Heathcote must have folded.

Even the once strong Bankstown - which was already in Div 1 when Div 2 was wound up - only lasted a couple of years and merged with Liverpool to become South-West Sydney in 1996.

The only two of the 1993 Div 2 clubs which lasted the distance in Div 1 were Hawkesbury and Penrith, both of whom struggled for much - if not most - of their time there.

The difference between Div 2 and Div 1 was just too big and this is why I am in favour of the current graduated divisional system.
    A number of clubs certainly folded because they had nowhere to go and rebuild.

I'd prefer a hybrid system where the Div 1 - 4 are akin to the old SFL/SFA (8 - 8 clubs per comp with two grades) with 2-3 one grade divisions below. U19s could fit where required

It appears that there has been a lot of clubs come and go in recent times (say last 20 years) plus mergers and name changes. Is that because Sydney is/was a non mainstream AFL market or is it just the natural comings and goings.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast