Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: RWO Game Day Thread - Round 6 - May 13-14

Quote Originally Posted by Clubman View Post
    Your team still has good players that can play or have played at good level over the years. Yes as you said that they don't train at times so they don't get picked in higher grades. Other clubs in that grade have players that never played AFL - just mates having a kick (Div4/Div5) so that is why the structure of divisions is so out of wack.
    Definitely. We have 4 or 5 brand new guys but more than half the team did a preseason expecting to play div 1. Throw in a few who dont train who have played prems and probably would be elsewhere its a very handy team.

When i started the side last year i was hitting up mates who havent played before and we got a couple of hidings. The standard isnt as bad as many thought. Ive had a few div 1 guys say stuff like "if i have to play div 4 id think about retiring" but then have a kick, realise its still an alright standard. We had a swans academy kid play last year and thought he was going to kick 10. He touched the ball once in the first half before i dragged him.

Its a decent standard, we just have benefitted from having a second 19s with all those kids aging out hanging around and expecting to play div 1 but we habe too many numbers.

I dont want to sit here and sound like im bragging and putting @@@@ on other clubs (like i normally do), we just have good numbers this year and are 5-0 in div 1 and div 4.

- - - Updated - - -

9.30am I think should be the start of the day for Games. Give teams from across town time (Egs: Liverpool to Manly 9.30 start - arrive 8.30 - leave home 7am ??) Not 8am start leave home 5.30am - Why GO
    Hard though, if we have all 5 at home we are lucky we can play under lights. Penno have a second ground. If we ever get a 4th senior side and a womens we will prob have to get olds 2 up to a decent standard. Because you cant play 6 or 7 games at home in a day on one field. Or just never have all teams at home which ruins that whole club feel people want to bring back with the seniors/reserves/19s structure.

Quote Originally Posted by saviour01 View Post
    Definitely. We have 4 or 5 brand new guys but more than half the team did a preseason expecting to play div 1. Throw in a few who dont train who have played prems and probably would be elsewhere its a very handy team.

When i started the side last year i was hitting up mates who havent played before and we got a couple of hidings. The standard isnt as bad as many thought. Ive had a few div 1 guys say stuff like "if i have to play div 4 id think about retiring" but then have a kick, realise its still an alright standard. We had a swans academy kid play last year and thought he was going to kick 10. He touched the ball once in the first half before i dragged him.

Its a decent standard, we just have benefitted from having a second 19s with all those kids aging out hanging around and expecting to play div 1 but we habe too many numbers.

I dont want to sit here and sound like im bragging and putting @@@@ on other clubs (like i normally do), we just have good numbers this year and are 5-0 in div 1 and div 4.
    Sounds good - The standard is always good when your winning 180 to 1

Last year it was better.

We fielded a half decent side away at north shore. Got beat by 10 goals. Very similar to last weekends side at manly.

The last round we needed to beat camden at home to make finals. They flogged us by 6 or 7 goals. We had a good side that day.

UTS have hardly anyone they had last year (i think only 6 or 7 when we played them). Blacktown are much better and looked good.

The other thing is we have mainly played at home. Its well known div 4 sides dont travel as shown by only having 18 last week.

Almost Football Legend
    9.30am I think should be the start of the day for Games. Give teams from across town time (Egs: Liverpool to Manly 9.30 start - arrive 8.30 - leave home 7am ??) Not 8am start leave home 5.30am - Why GO
    I see where you're coming from. I recall Penrith playing an 8am game at Gore Hill a few weeks ago. The Rams probably have players living in the Blue Mountains who would have been driving in the dark to get there.
    But when you've got 5-6 games to get through in a day, you've got to start early or it'd be a very late night for the players in the last game.
    A lot of clubs these days have 5-6 teams. Which is a good thing, it means more people are playing our game. But on game day there's usually a lot more games to get through, so starting early has to happen. I can't see any way around it.

Quote Originally Posted by Norris Lurker View Post
    I see where you're coming from. I recall Penrith playing an 8am game at Gore Hill a few weeks ago. The Rams probably have players living in the Blue Mountains who would have been driving in the dark to get there.
    But when you've got 5-6 games to get through in a day, you've got to start early or it'd be a very late night for the players in the last game.
    A lot of clubs these days have 5-6 teams. Which is a good thing, it means more people are playing our game. But on game day there's usually a lot more games to get through, so starting early has to happen. I can't see any way around it.
    We always try and work around being fair with fixtures in elevating some grades to a later time if they are from afar. Of course with the "getback" exception of certain clubs And I was surprised we got 22 of our thirds (Div 5) to Gore Hill for an 8 AM start. Yep, they left in the dark, but it was a quick trip in, more than double the time on the way back.

Almost Football Legend
    If you think every goal for and against doesn't count, just maybe it can. Remarkably in Premier Division, between third and fifth; Pennant Hills, St George and North Shore are level on wins and losses, with just 0.67% separating the three teams. I don't think I've ever seen a ladder as tight as that.

Follow me on Twitter - @tealfooty

True. Anyone know why the league doesn't bother with law 5.19 any more?

5.19 Where a forfeit occurs:
    (a) The team receiving the forfeit shall;
    (i) be attributed a �win�.
    (ii) have its "points for" increased by the average of the points scored by the winners of the
    other matches in the round.

(iii) have no points added to its "points against".
    (iv) submit a team sheet for the purpose of player eligibility for finals.
    (v) submit invoice to league for $100 compensation or $200 if the forfeit is communicated
    to the league after 8pm Friday (not applicable if practice match played)
    (b) The forfeiting team shall;
    (i) be attributed a �loss�
    (ii) have no points added to its "points for".
    (iii) have its "points against" increased by the average of the points scored by the winners
    of the other matches in the round.

(iv) fined $200 if communicated by the 8pm Friday deadline or fi

No change to f/a with any of the forfeits. Could cost a team finals.

I know we had 22 kids front to Monarch only to win by forfeit. 100 km return trip and have to pay the physio for 4 hours. The bylaw has been amended. There are some by-laws changed that still haven't been amended on the website

Pushing for Selection
    Quote Originally Posted by ShortHalfHead View Post
    I know we had 22 kids front to Monarch only to win by forfeit. 100 km return trip and have to pay the physio for 4 hours. The bylaw has been amended, but like a few others, doesn't get updated on the website.
    Thats never good. It is bad enough on Friday let alone at the ground on the day.

CTown out of 19/2 and Magic take their place?

That sucks. Saw that parra only had 12 turn up at sydney uni and have to forfeit. Think thats 8 in the first 6 rounds. Pretty poor.

Quote Originally Posted by Giants View Post
    Thats never good. It is bad enough on Friday let alone at the ground on the day.

CTown out of 19/2 and Magic take their place?
    I don't see logic about about licking one team out and dropping the other side a grade. They have both forfeited twice. At least Campbelltown generally recruit from the own junior base. Clubs that have insufficient numbers to field a team weekly should release them to another club with 19's with their best wishes and encourage them to return when can sustain a team. Almost every club has had it's bad years with massive floggings. Some may say it's character building. It's up to the clubs to improve, not the AFL to mollycoddle them by giving concessions

Pushing for Selection
    Quote Originally Posted by ShortHalfHead View Post
    I don't see logic about about licking one team out and dropping the other side a grade. They have both forfeited twice. At least Campbelltown generally recruit from the own junior base. Clubs that have insufficient numbers to field a team weekly should release them to another club with 19's with their best wishes and encourage them to return when can sustain a team. Almost every club has had it's bad years with massive floggings. Some may say it's character building. It's up to the clubs to improve, not the AFL to mollycoddle them by giving concessions
    Fair point. Magics team last year if i remember correctly came from Penrith didnt it and i think as you pointed out earlierdidnt they nominate for a 1s and 2s in 2017?

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast