Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910 LastLast

Thread: Round 1 Team V Collingwood

Quote Originally Posted by Scottee View Post
    I am hoping that there must have something slowing Robbo down in the NAB because his form was terrible. It reminds me of the decision to play McGlynn in the finals last year. On form he should never have played and that was borne out in the final.

Does form count anymore?
    Robbo is very much a lucky boy on what I saw in pre-season, but we are pretty short of talent at the bottom end of the 22, with the players that are out. I honestly don't think he will make it at AFL level, but hope he proves me wrong.

Really happy to see Papley and Hewett getting a shot at the big time. What a great story Papley is, and Hewett has real potential in my book, I can't wait to see if he can take the step up at AFL level, as I think he will.

The best bit of the AFL this year though is - no wretched Substitute rule!!!!
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Collingwood $2.45 Sydney $1.57. The people with money are more confident then me......apparently a 60% chance of rain too.

I still think we'll get up, but would prefer BJ or McGlynn easily over Robinson. Sorry if I'm not informed but is BJ that far on the outer now or is injured as well because he's not even an emergency?

Quote Originally Posted by ugg View Post
    Hewett spent a lot of time in the forward line in the latest NEAFL practice game, much more than his usual share. So I would expect him to play predominantly forward and perhaps get a 5-10 min spell in the midfield if a Kennedy Mitchell or Parker rests up forward.
    He was pretty good in the NAB Challenge while resting in the forward line. Kicked 2 & 1 in his two matches. He is really dangerous because he uses the ball so well. I think Buddy, Tip and Deano are going to love leading to him, Papley, Mills, Heeney & Talia. They all have pretty good delivery. Jones is no slouch either and Rampe on the run with 60 metre passes is very good. Just have to hope Hannas, Joey & Kizza can improve their passing. they all get leather poisoning now to make it work for us.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by longmile View Post
    I still think we'll get up, but would prefer BJ or McGlynn easily over Robinson. Sorry if I'm not informed but is BJ that far on the outer now or is injured as well because he's not even an emergency?
    Could it be that by playing BJ in the reserves that they are maintaining his match fitness and that emergencies will be playing reserves next week?
    We have them where we want them, everything is going according to plan!

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Scottee View Post
    Could it be that by playing BJ in the reserves that they are maintaining his match fitness and that emergencies will be playing reserves next week?
    Certainly plausible. It could also be that they have a couple of specific things they want him to work on, and think he'll be better able to do that playing a central role in the NEAFL team, rather than as a peripheral player in the senior team.

Quote Originally Posted by longmile View Post
    he was pretty @@@@ful in the NAB. Didn't do anything that warrented his selection as even an emergency.

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Quote Originally Posted by wolftone57 View Post
    he was pretty @@@@ful in the NAB. Didn't do anything that warrented his selection as even an emergency.
    A couple of goals against a decent opposition doesn't count?
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Quote Originally Posted by wolftone57 View Post
    surely he did more than robinson and has more senior experience

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by dimelb View Post
    A couple of goals against a decent opposition doesn't count?
    Not sure what you are referring to Di.
    We have them where we want them, everything is going according to plan!

Senior Player
    I'm assuming that Dawson isn't featuring as part of this discussion as people feel that three debutantes is sufficient?
    It's very hard to live in a studio apartment in San Jose with a man who's learning to play violin. That's what she told the police when she handed them the empty revolver.
    The Scarlatti Tilt - Richard Brautigan

Quote Originally Posted by ernie koala View Post
    My guess of the team line up, based on what I've seen in the NAB Cup.....

FB : Smith Grundy Rampe
    HB : Laidler Richards Jones
    C : Jack Kennedy Hannebery
    HF : Heeney Franklin Cunningham
    FF : Papley Tippett Towers
    Fol : Sinclair Parker Mitchell
    Int : Mills, Talia, Lloyd, Hewitt

Emg : Rose, Dawson, Nankervis

Without the 4 or 5 injured players, we do look a little thin.
    I don't like having Towers in the team, but B Jack and Robinson have shown even less this year.
    I suspect Horse will pick him over Rose...Personally I'd like it the other way around.
    Nankervis, as back up ruck, is a worry. Let's hope we don't have to call on him any time soon...
    Personally I'd prefer Derrickx, at least he throws his weight around.
    Papley is the bolter, Horse may prefer Rose, both have looked lively, though I think Papley has been more involved.
    If they do upgrade Papley , then I assume Newman stays a rookie?

Others thoughts?
    Props to you, ernie, for picking all 5 fresh faces 2 weeks out. It was a pretty good stab at predicting the team.

I haven't seen the NAB games (my telstra/afl.com.au subscription doesn't seem to be working - grrr!) so was in no position to judge what was going on with the team and would not have been able to pick all this at all. Anyway, I'm very excited. Have long been looking forward to seeing Hewett at senior level and is even better given he has spent two years being groomed and earning the right. Even better to have another couple of promising youngsters being given the opportunity.

Overall I don't find it encouraging that none of X, Aliir, Melican, Newman or Marsh are getting anywhere near the team. They are our future hopes in defence. Maybe this is why we have hung out so long and hopefully (desperately?) for AJ? If they don't make a dent this year I think we'll be drafting and/or trading for some more KPDs. I get that there is no vacant space for them (other than Teddy's, which has gone to Talia) but they are not even emergencies or in the conversation, as best I can tell (with possible exception of Newman). Hopefully this is just because KPPs take longer to develop and they will come good. But I am getting nervous.

I am not quite as down on our fringe players as some people commenting here - ours is a tough team to break into - but, if it were that bad, won't we just turn them over and get in some better talent? On the contrary, I am happy to see some of the talent we have been waiting to see get their opportunity finally getting it i.e. Jones, Hewett, Robbo.

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910 LastLast