Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: RWO Game Day Thread - Round 1 - April 1-2

Quote Originally Posted by The Student View Post
    Take it up with the clubs who wanted the system scrapped, champ. If you think that the whole thing has been a long con to get a few players into Prenier Division then I've got a bridge you might be interested in buying.
    No NEAFL players to clubs in 2016. In 2017 round 1 9 play with you. How many this week?

You do understand that there were only eight players eligible to play for other clubs last year, right? Vicic, Krochmal, Sierakowski etc are Uni players and were in Prem Div regularly last year so I don't see what your point is.

Quote Originally Posted by saviour01 View Post
    No NEAFL players to clubs in 2016. In 2017 round 1 9 play with you. How many this week?
    Last edited by The Student; 5th April 2017 at 08:40 AM.

I do. How many of them played elsewhere in 2016? How many of those in round 1 would have if the rule wasnt deemed a waste of time since it never happened in 2016?

One - a ruckman that came in from the Northern Blues. Are you saying that we should've not picked blokes last year so that they could play AFL Sydney for other clubs? I don't really understand what you would expect us to do, recruits from interstate and the AFL are generally going to play NEAFL.

How many players on scholarships played for their home clubs last week? Hint: more than one.

I do. How many of them played elsewhere in 2016? How many of those in round 1 would have if the rule wasnt deemed a waste of time since it never happened in 2016?

No, im saying its bs that in 16 rounds in 2016 it didnt happen once and then when the rule is gone it start happening in round 1 2017.

Warming the Bench
    No, im saying its bs that in 16 rounds in 2016 it didnt happen once and then when the rule is gone it start happening in round 1 2017.
    Why does it bother you that much Saviour?

Personally, if I was a coach of a Prem division side I wouldn't want to play a player that I don't know and have had nothing to do with previously who is sent back to play with my side. It's not great for a clubs culture IMO if you pick a player from SU who hasn't been training with you, doesn't know your system, doesn't know your players or coaches and who doesn't really want to be there. I would prefer to play a young bloke who deserves it through his commitment etc.

We are talking about one player from this weekend past. We are injury free at the moment and it was Round 1. Obviously we were going to have a full list to pick from. I can't find the mini draft info from 2016 but of the 2015 players, four were at the club last year - all of whom played NEAFL all season. When would you have expected them to play PD? Should we have liaised with the clubs and asked if we were allowed to select them?

We agreed with the clubs that we would allow any scholarship holder who otherwise would've qualified for Uni i.e. is a student there to play for a club of their choice. Several opted to. That is our concession. Anyone who played a single PD or U19s game for any other club last year is not eligible to play PD for Uni, irrespective of whether they are a student. So we have given up plenty - the fact that SUSF and the Uni are providing scholarships for blokes to play at other clubs is more than enough. I don't see many other clubs providing tuition costs, gym memberships etc for blokes to play elsewhere. When St.George start financially supporting players to wear another jumper you can get back to me.

- - - Updated - - -

I would've thought this was the case but it seems you could say the sky was blue and people on here would argue with you.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Freedman View Post
    Why does it bother you that much Saviour?

Personally, if I was a coach of a Prem division side I wouldn't want to play a player that I don't know and have had nothing to do with previously who is sent back to play with my side. It's not great for a clubs culture IMO if you pick a player from SU who hasn't been training with you, doesn't know your system, doesn't know your players or coaches and who doesn't really want to be there. I would prefer to play a young bloke who deserves it through his commitment etc.

Quality players find a way to do well. Austin Lucy killed it for us in prems in 2015 and so did Dylan Addison in div 4 last year despite not knowing our div 4 structures.

Be interesting to see if it become a regular occurance where "drafted" players are in syd uni prems.

Is that what this is about - you wanted to see Austin play for St.George last week? After looking at the team sheet he didn't play PD at all so you can give it a rest now. If you miss him so much I can get him to sign a jumper for you or something.

Surprised that an ex AFL player did well in Div 4 and the intricate structures of very low level park footy weren't too much for him.

Quality players find a way to do well. Austin Lucy killed it for us in prems in 2015 and so did Dylan Addison in div 4 last year despite not knowing our div 4 structures.

Be interesting to see if it become a regular occurance where "drafted" players are in syd uni prems.

Not at all. Just using as an example.

Warming the Bench

My views have nothing to do with a players ability and capability to play football and have an impact on the field. Austin Lucy is a gun who would always play well at Premier Division level. Jed Turner played on that same weekend for Wests and I can tell you first hand that he did not want to be there and couldn't wait to finish the game to get home.

My view has to do with culture and my preference not to pick a player who is thrust upon me at the last minute who I have to play in place of a player who deserves an opportunity. But, every coach / club is different and may have their own views. Although clearly the coaches / clubs weren't happy with the old system and voted to discontinue it this year.

And using Dylan Addison as an example is laughable. He is a St.George person through and through who is loved and respected by all at your club. It's not even relevant to the discussion.

Regular in the Side
    I think most people just want a level playing field for all teams.
    We know SU are playing by the rules set by the league. No doubt there.
    But is it fair?

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast