Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 8141516171819 LastLast

Thread: Changes for Rnd 3 V GWS

McGlynn might still not play if the weather conditions tomorrow are the same as today. Or, he might play as a sub.

Quote Originally Posted by Flying South View Post
    I will start this with the preface that Horse and his selectors know far more than I do about team selections. But for the life of me, I cannot understand when a small defender goes out, a half-forward comes in. Did we not learn anything last week about team balance? Did we not learn that the team works better as a unit when everyone play�s their natural position? We had 6 natural defenders back there last week and they worked great as a defensive unit. Now we are going to weaken that defensive unit by playing someone who is not a natural defender. If a small defender comes out, doesn�t it make sense that a small defender comes in. I would have thought Jones should be that person. Who are they going to put back there. Rohan?
    Correct me please if I am wrong, but once the team has been named on the Thursday before the match, don't any replacements have to come from named Emergencies? If this is the case then Jones could not come in for Smith as the listed Emergencies for this week were: G. Hewett, B. McGlynn, S. Naismith.
    Laidler was originally listed on the interchange bench (along with Lloyd, Rohan and Towers). I assume Laidler will effectively take Smith's place although Longmire's original field placement listings and what actually happens is always pretty fluid.

Quote Originally Posted by Zlatorog View Post
    McGlynn might still not play if the weather conditions tomorrow are the same as today. Or, he might play as a sub.
    Yes when I heard this morning that McGlynn was in the 22 I immediately assumed he would be the sub, simply because there might be some doubt that he was yet ready for a full game at senior level.

Suspended by the MRP
    Quote Originally Posted by Jewels View Post
    Wow Doss that's a brilliant idea! Can't understand why no-one else has come up with that before!
    As it now happens Hewitt and Mitchell are the two emergencies to cover the small and medium players. If a small or medium player drops out, who is not Kennedy, Parker or Bird then the team will field 4 slower inside midfield extractors.

I would forced to issue an apology and cease this pet argument forever.

I feel we all need a hug

Its friday !!!!

235d128b687f3bafe76c592bb6792b75.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "be tough, only when it gets tough"

My feeling too is that McGlynn will be the sub, but who knows. Macca came in last week with a similar preparation and played very well. Maybe the preference was to give Benny another week in the reserves given his history of hamstring injuries, which tend to mount up with age.

I know we classify Benny as a small forward/midfielder, but he's a very good small defender/tagger and played that role a lot at Hawthorn. He would be an excellent matchup against the Giants best small forward, Devon Smith. But who knows what Longmire's plans are as far as matchups are concerned.

Mitchell doesn't get selected because he is unaccountable. Poor defensive skills which is what the swans pride themselves on. Its not because hes slow, it's because he's lazy.

McGlynn is a star he should fit right back in.

Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    Mitchell doesn't get selected because he is unaccountable. Poor defensive skills which is what the swans pride themselves on. Its not because hes slow, it's because he's lazy.
    He had thirteen tackles in his last senior game before being injured and holds the world record for possessions in a single game but, yeah nah, you're right he's lazy.

Keep up the excellent football analysis, barry.

Quote Originally Posted by Meg View Post
    Correct me please if I am wrong, but once the team has been named on the Thursday before the match, don't any replacements have to come from named Emergencies? If this is the case then Jones could not come in for Smith as the listed Emergencies for this week were: G. Hewett, B. McGlynn, S. Naismith.
    Laidler was originally listed on the interchange bench (along with Lloyd, Rohan and Towers). I assume Laidler will effectively take Smith's place although Longmire's original field placement listings and what actually happens is always pretty fluid.
    I'm pretty sure that this only kicks in within the last 45 minutes or so when official team sheet gets handed in. Even then you CAN bring in another player....but you get fined (See Paul Kelly's unexpected comeback vs Fremantle when no one even knew he was in Perth till he ran out through the banner!
    "I'll acknowledge there are more talented teams in the competition but I won't acknowledge that there is a better team in the competition" Paul Roos March 2005

Warming the Bench
    Quote Originally Posted by Dosser View Post
    Hey everyone. I've just had a great idea. It has occurred to me that Horse probably doesnt want too many slower midfielders in the team at the same time. Maybe that is why Mitchell isnt getting a game. What do you think?
    I agree, but we must also be electric.

Watt I suggest is that our current inside midfielders must amp up their output and be clean distributors of the ball to our electric outside runners. The outside runners can then volt the ball into the forward line where buddy will be charging out and benny will be at his feet providing an extra spark. We have quite a few players who can alternate through the midfield and act as distributors, we can't afford to have players with a reluctance for hard work in the centre. Players with a resistance to hard work will not be tolerated, and I am sure it would not take long for Horse to blow a fuse and relay a message to them that they will find themselves on the bench if they don't switch on.

Just wild about Harry
    Quote Originally Posted by Ampersand View Post
    He had thirteen tackles in his last senior game before being injured and holds the world record for possessions in a single game but, yeah nah, you're right he's lazy.

Keep up the excellent football analysis, barry.
    Actually Ampers, Barry is just repeating what the Swans camp was saying last year. He may have tackled well but he was really only running one way. They said they were working on that.