Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Best 5 Swans wins from the modern era

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries
    Still on hols so got home from golf today and watched the 03 Port game and final vs WC in 06. It's easy to forget at his best (05 GF anyone) what a player Fosdike was. Ran and ran and ran like Hanners.

My observations from 03 Qual Final vs Port:
    - What an accurate kick Barry Hall was.
    - Just how phenominal Adam Goodes was in years pas.t
    - Anthony Hudson's call "I see it but I don't believe it" was used in this game before the 05 Final.
    - THAT hit on Brett Kirk by Byron Pickett deserves a mention, also the fact that Brett bounced straight back up.

Warming the Bench
    I have said many times that the 1970 game against Collingwood was my favourite game, people didn't just sit inside the boundary line in those last minutes when we hit the front people just ran onto to the ground celebrating even though the siren still hadn't rang.

Quote Originally Posted by chuckie View Post
    I have said many times that the 1970 game against Collingwood was my favourite game, people didn't just sit inside the boundary line in those last minutes when we hit the front people just ran onto to the ground celebrating even though the siren still hadn't rang.
    I was also there. It was the last game I saw with my father before he died so is very special to me for a number of reasons. Being 13 at the time I remember standing on the old steel beercans to see the game and the horrified look on the pies supporters faces as we left the ground. Fond memories.

Also Xmas greetings and a Happy New Year to all on RWO. I'm on a sojourn in Sth America so havent been on much.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by aardvark View Post
    I was also there. It was the last game I saw with my father before he died so is very special to me for a number of reasons. Being 13 at the time I remember standing on the old steel beercans to see the game and the horrified look on the pies supporters faces as we left the ground. Fond memories.

Also Xmas greetings and a Happy New Year to all on RWO. I'm on a sojourn in Sth America so havent been on much.
    I must say that one of the things that stands out in my memories is the image of the smirks on the Collingwood player's faces when there was about 4 minutes to go and they were 21 points up. OK guys, it's ours! Doh!

Have you met any of your namesakes in Sth America?
    We have them where we want them, everything is going according to plan!

I am loving these old South Melbourne stories which pre-date my time as a Swans' supporter. However they do bring back nostalgic memories of what it used to be like packed in a crowd standing on the mounds, often in the rain, cheering madly when all I could see was the back of the head of the person in front of me (in Adelaide)!

That 1970 Doug Wade 'apple' story is just wonderful. Imagine the apoplexy that would happen on all the footy shows, articles and social media if something like that happened now. I found this very funny description of the incident on the net.

"A South Melbourne supporter, frustrated that Wade had taken the mark, had thrown an apple at the Geelong full-forward as he was about to kick for goal. His accurate throw did enough to move the football from its intended path � the middle of Wade�s boot � to merely brush the instep of the Geelong champ�s foot."

"Wade complained to the umpire and said �Hey, give me another kick!�
    The umpire apparently said, �There�s nothing in the rule book about apples�."

I remember the 70 win against Fitzroy - Bedford kicked the winning goal mid-air and put the Bloods into the finals. I loved the 95 win in the last round against the Pies; I will never forget Kickett's mark in front of the O'Reilly. The wins in 96 were so good and I was there to see us beat the Blues - O'Brien kicked 6, as Plugger was minding Silvagni all day and hardly moved from the goal square. The Kardinia Park match in 2011 was one for the ages - I was with a mate who is a major Cats supporter as his guest in one of the coterie rooms and had to behave. The win in Brisbane in 2003 was memorable. O'Loughlin kicked an outstanding goal in full flight and Paul Williams iced it late in the day.

Another match no one has mentioned was the last round match against North in 77 - which saw the Bloods into the finals for the second time in the 70s.

Of the finals, apart from the 2 GF wins I loved the 2003 Port win, the Nick Davis match and the PF win against the Saints in 2005. How we celebrated that night in the Wellington hotel on Flinders Street. Plugger's point in 96 wasn't half bad either.

So many good memories.

Glutton for punishment BigBarryRound25's Avatar
    One for me that hasn't come up was round 1 1980 v's Geelong. John Roberts first game for us - he kicked a goal after the siren to give us an unexpected and unlikely win.

If my memory is accurate he kicked 6 that day (but that might be inflated by my nostalgic optimism).

What a day it was for this 13 year old - a joyous train ride home, the possibilities that lie ahead. A star full forward and a win at Kardinia Park.

The following 12-18 months didn't go to script - but I can't complain about how things have turned out.

A few have mentioned the game where Cressa milked a free v's North to kick the winning goal. I seem to recall a few weeks later in a final v's Hawthorn he also took a contested goal-square mark and kicked truly to keep us alive.

Go Swans ... thanks for the memories (even if they're a bit foggy).

No Aardvarks but met a swans supporter in Antarctica on a Chilean research base and a Sydney resident Swans/ Tigers rugby supporter in the Atacama desert. Just goes to show we are infiltrating everywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Prt View Post
    I remember the 70 win against Fitzroy - Bedford kicked the winning goal mid-air and put the Bloods into the finals. I loved the 95 win in the last round against the Pies; I will never forget Kickett's mark in front of the O'Reilly. The wins in 96 were so good and I was there to see us beat the Blues - O'Brien kicked 6, as Plugger was minding Silvagni all day and hardly moved from the goal square. The Kardinia Park match in 2011 was one for the ages - I was with a mate who is a major Cats supporter as his guest in one of the coterie rooms and had to behave. The win in Brisbane in 2003 was memorable. O'Loughlin kicked an outstanding goal in full flight and Paul Williams iced it late in the day.

Another match no one has mentioned was the last round match against North in 77 - which saw the Bloods into the finals for the second time in the 70s.

Of the finals, apart from the 2 GF wins I loved the 2003 Port win, the Nick Davis match and the PF win against the Saints in 2005. How we celebrated that night in the Wellington hotel on Flinders Street. Plugger's point in 96 wasn't half bad either.

So many good memories.
    Remember it well, Finals for only the second ever time in my life. I could buy a finals footy record with my team on the front cover. Happy days.

The thing I remember more about the final game of 1977, was not so much the game but if someone had a radio in the last quarter they became your friend. Everyone wanted to know the result of the Bulldogs v Carlton game. Carlton had to lose for us to get into the finals, and the Doggies did us a favour.

Welcome to RWO Prt. Stick around and don't be afraid to contribute.

Warming the Bench
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctor J. View Post
    Remember it well, Finals for only the second ever time in my life. I could buy a finals footy record with my team on the front cover. Happy days.

The thing I remember more about the final game of 1977, was not so much the game but if someone had a radio in the last quarter they became your friend. Everyone wanted to know the result of the Bulldogs v Carlton game. Carlton had to lose for us to get into the finals, and the Doggies did us a favour.

Welcome to RWO Prt. Stick around and don't be afraid to contribute.
    I was there another great memory. Teaser took a couple of screamers and a young Chris Elliott wearing number 36 running around in one of his few games he played, I also remember checking on the Footscray Carlton game I remember on the Friday before the Semi Final my brother and i went to Merrett 7 Hassett Sports store and bought a couple of new jumpers to wear to the game, I still have that jumper some where. Another game I remember was against Fitzroy at the Lake oval Ricky Quade got a perfect 10 sunscore votes in The Sun newspaper the first player to do so i think Teasdale was the only other player to get the perfect score, also a game in 1977 against StKilda at home Teaser took a screamer and everyone was saying that will be mark of the year only for Trevor Barker to take a hangar over Ricky Quade in front of the members stand 10 minutes later. I love this club so many great memories including the many we have had from 1982 and onwards 1997 we beat the drug cheats by one point in the rain Mark Bayes last 10 minutes turns the game.

I remember Teaser playing a blinder against Collingwood at Vic Park in 1977 and we beat the Pies - those days didn't happen much - happy days for a schoolboy

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast