Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Why do YOU support the Swans?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottH View Post
    That might be why I can't find it.
    Killed off the sandpit years ago when we were having issues with DB size.
    And with it BonBon and NobNob...

Quote Originally Posted by ScottH View Post
    I remember one day one of the girls cartwheeled off their platform.
    Now that was a highlight!!
    Or a metaphor for the Edelsten era?

Warming the Bench
    As I have said on other threads that game against Collingwood in 1970 is with the 05 & 12 grand finals my favorite game.
    I can still remember running on the ground before the siren had rung when we hit the front.
    I saw my first game as a three week old baby in 1959 (it would have been earlier but my mum was in hospital for 2 weeks) and then spent most of the 60's and 70's at the club as my father worked there. In 1978 I trained at North Melbourne but wasn't good enough to get a game which was good cause I never had my heart in it. I later worked for a year at Melbourne as a trainer but miss a few injuries as I had the radio on the Swans games.

Great answer. Out of interest, a good thread for the GWS board (of there is one) would be "why did YOU stop supporting the swans?". Lol.

I was a Carlton supporter as a kid before I moved to Sydney. Apart from location there was a pretty simple reason for leaving them: John Elliott.

Senior Player
    I too supported Carlton as a youngster before moving to Sydney. The Swans were my second team, so the change wasn't too
    traumatic. Since then both teams have won two flags, and I think the same number of wooden spoons. Man, that is a bleak thought.
    Since the mid 80s we're "equal" with Carlton.

Quote Originally Posted by chuckie View Post
    As I have said on other threads that game against Collingwood in 1970 is with the 05 & 12 grand finals my favorite game.
    05, 12, 96 GFs are the best games I attended (I slipped in 96 because I was never certain I'd see the Swans in a grand final)

But I'll forever remember the 1982 night Grand Final as the first piece of silverware I got to see the Swans win (albeit on TV - I still re-watch the DVD every now and then) - so proud turning up to school the next day! And the 3 consecutive 30+ goal games in 1987 against West Coast, Essendon and Richmond (I love watching them on DVD too). They were special for me.

Quote Originally Posted by KTigers View Post
    I too supported Carlton as a youngster before moving to Sydney. The Swans were my second team, so the change wasn't too
    traumatic. Since then both teams have won two flags, and I think the same number of wooden spoons. Man, that is a bleak thought.
    Since the mid 80s we're "equal" with Carlton.
    Yes, but this century, we kick their arse.

Carlton were the only team not to win a wooden spoon until the John Elliott era. Quickly made up for lost time though.

Senior Player
    Good point, I'll get with the times. I feel much better already.

Quote Originally Posted by dejavoodoo44 View Post
    Yes, but this century, we kick their arse.

I became a fully vested Swans supporter around 05.

In recent times my support has been tested due to a myriad of online struggles I've had with Swans supporters sites.

Some Swans supporters have hit me pretty hard, but I still love the Swans.

I've even bought my wife a half membership to go with the memberships that I have and my son has.

I believe now that I'm a fully rusted on Swans supporter. To keep coming back to the Swans after some of the feral treatment that some Swans supporters have dealt me shows that my love for the Swans is incorruptible.

Regular in the Side Velour&Ruffles's Avatar
    I posted this 18 months ago on a thread about the best Swans' wins of the modern era ..... but in reality it is all about why I am a Swans supporter and I couldn't explain it any better now.

Quote Originally Posted by chuckie View Post
    ... also a game in 1977 against StKilda at home Teaser took a screamer and everyone was saying that will be mark of the year only for Trevor Barker to take a hangar over Ricky Quade in front of the members stand 10 minutes later.
    Quote Originally Posted by Velour&Ruffles View Post
    I was there too, as a primary school kid with my father. I remember it the other way around, with Barker taking the first grab and Teaser following up a few minutes later. Either way, Teaser's grab (which I still maintain was better than Barker's far more replayed effort) was THE seminal moment in my life as a Swans supporter - Grand finals and all the rest included.

I started life as a third generation Bloods fan but went through a few years of trying to be a Saints supporter, because every kid at my bayside primary school went for St Kilda and I was the lone Swan. Peer group pressure took its toll.

My father was smart and patient enough not to apply any overt pressure on me to revert - instead, he took me to a few token Saints games each year, but mostly still to Swans matches (which meant about 16 a year in those pre-move days) and was content to let heredity do its work.

So we were always going to be at that game, given it was "my" team against my dad's. We were on the half forward line, not far from where both marks occurred. When Teaser took his grab, I remember erupting and cheering hysterically ...... And then I recalled I was in a Saints jumper .......

It was at that precise instant that I gave up my soulless pretence of barracking for St Kilda. Even as a primary school kid, I knew enough to know from that burst of unbridled joy that my heart was red and white, whatever I might try to tell my mates in the schoolyard, or my old man. So I went back to being the only Swans follower at my school, became a lifelong fan of the most important bearded miracle worker to ever walk this earth, and to this day enjoy going to the football with my father - although now officially barracking for the same team.

A post script. Someone mentioned the Barry Mitchell game at Pie Park. That was 1986 and my father and I were there too. Given we were seven goals down a little before 3/4 time, I was beside myself when we won against all odds, and all sense of self preservation deserted me. Wearing a Swans scarf, I let my pleasure at the victory be known to all around me as I exited the ground. My poor father, a peaceful and restrained gentleman, had to physically intervene to protect me from being publicly lynched by a couple of violently embittered, snaggle-toothed Magpie lowlife. Another immortal memory ...And if anyone doubts me, read this account of the Pie fans' behaviour that day: Mayhem at Victoria Park - collingwoodfc.com.au
    My opinion is objective truth in its purest form

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Thanks for posting your story again V&R. I think I laughed as much as I did first time around, and smiled again at the recognition of the truth inside.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast