Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: SA Swans supporters: Christmas dinner

Wish I could go goswannies.
    I'd be your drinking partner.
    (Even if they're not supplying my Johnnie!!)
    Wild speculation, unsubstantiated rumours, silly jokes and opposition delight in another's failures is what makes an internet forum fun.
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones who let in the light.

Quote Originally Posted by Plugger46 View Post
    It was definitely that game. I'm not sure he was ever really the same after that.

The best game I can remember him playing was a rare win against the Blues in late 1994. He brought his own footy that day.
    Spot on Plugger46! Checked AFL match stats for 1994. We played Carlton R21 at the SCG and won by 8 pts (when the Blues were still a powerhouse). Swans 9.16 72 def Carlton 8.14 62

Scott Direen career best with 24 kicks, 8 handballs, 4 marks & 4 behinds

Quote Originally Posted by AnnieH View Post
    Wish I could go goswannies.
    I'd be your drinking partner.
    (Even if they're not supplying my Johnnie!!)
    Hehe you’d be most welcome Annie! Let me know if you want me to book a seat next to goswannette & me. I’m sure we can arrange Johnnie on the night, it is a bar!

He was a very accurate kick. I recall Scott Direen as the designated kicker for quite a few of the games he played. Recruited from Tassy if I’m not mistaken,

Quote Originally Posted by Chilcott View Post
    He was a very accurate kick. I recall Scott Direen as the designated kicker for quite a few of the games he played. Recruited from Tassy if I’m not mistaken,
    Correct. New Norfolk

707 are you going to the SA Swans Supporter Christmas function?

The SA Swans Supporter Group works really hard to keep our presence strong. The Dinner looks like a cracker. Pity Stevoswan, Liz, AnnieH will not be attending. But bound to meet some fellow RWOers. Wait for it...the missus and I will be there!
    "Give a man an airline and he will rob the people. Give a man a government and he will rob the world"

Quote Originally Posted by grarmy View Post
    The SA Swans Supporter Group works really hard to keep our presence strong. The Dinner looks like a cracker. Pity Stevoswan, Liz, AnnieH will not be attending. But bound to meet some fellow RWOers. Wait for it...the missus and I will be there!
    Indeed! I told AnnieH I’d reserve a seat for her

Goswannette & I will be there! Should be a great evening.

For any who attended the SA Swans supporters group dinner last night, how did you enjoy it? Thoughts? Feedback? Comments?

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by goswannies View Post
    For any who attended the SA Swans supporters group dinner last night, how did you enjoy it? Thoughts? Feedback? Comments?
    Goswannies, what went down and how did you enjoy it?

Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    Goswannies, what went down and how did you enjoy it?
    For me, I had a great night. $29.95 for a meal and a drink. The menu had several choices - I went the beef burger & chips and that was not too bad at all.

I think there may have been about 40-50 Swans supporters there. All were in good spirits and very friendly, chatting with each other throughout the night. Many wore various articles Swans clothing to show their passion for the Swans and the SA supporter group generously provided gifts of either a members cap or bum bag at each table place.

Guest speaker was former Swan Scott Direen. Early in the evening a video of courtesy of Langers1971 of Scott’s best game statistically was started on the big TV and it played throughout the evening in the background. It was really wonderful to see Scott sneak peeks at it every now and then and the periodic cheer went up when he appeared (that was pretty often, as he had over 30 touches during the game - a game high for the Swans, who were bottom of the ladder, the Blues 2nd top ... & the Swans won!).

Scott was an incredible guest. Chatted to pretty much everyone I think, but most impressively he seemed to remember everyone’s name and would address them personally each time he encountered them over the course of the evening. A true gentleman. He seemed to really enjoy being amongst Swans supporters. He engaged in conversation on all manner of topics showing a genuine interest in those that he spoke to.

After the meal, Scott was interviewed by Matty (a SA Swans supporter who had this role at a previous function with Marty Mattner). He was enthusiastic, honest and showed a genuine love for football, his career (in the AFL & SANFL) and his affection for the Swans themselves. He gave insights that were unique to players, talked about the difficult and good times during his career, his drafting from Tassie, playing with some of the great Swans, the pig being released at the SCG, Plugger vs Caven, the 96 Grand Final and so much more. The interview seemed to go for ages but was not at any point tiresome. The questions were well considered and the answers interesting, entertaining, enthusiastic & often quite funny.

Very well presented attired in a jacket and neat casual pants, later in the evening Scott removed his jacket and shirt to reveal a commemorative Swans jumper underneath that was presented to him at a past players function with his name and career stats embroided on it. And he insisted on a group photo with the entire crowd as a momento the evening. He aside from chatting away to supporters, Scott obliged by signing caps, jumpers etc all night and posing for photos with the most genuine smile in each and every one.

There were door prizes, raffles and 3 silent auctions. The 3 silent auction prizes were a hamper of Swans stuff valued at $195 (I think it was bought for less than this; a fully signed jumper donated by the club (I think it went for over $250); and a framed A3 photo of Scott. The first two attracted lots of bids (including a last minute one on the jumper). The last one was interesting - although I didn’t think it was particularly overtly promoted on the night, Scott was happy to sign it for the winner & personalise it - though the winner just had him sign it but not dedicate it to the buyer themself. Each to their own. Also, Scott’s photo only attracted 2 bids. The opening one was $50, the second was $100. All in all, good funds raised for the SA Swans Supporter Group. Scott also signed another A4 photo that will be auctioned next year.

With a bit of luck, Scott will attend another evening with his good friend and former team mate Dale Lewis. Fingers crossed!

That’s pretty much how I recall the evening.

The one thing I wish had happened was that the RWO people there had got together

Other than that, it was an awesome night!

Wow that’s really impressive. You must have some really dedicated Swans supporters to organise a night like that.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast