Page 73 of 90 FirstFirst ... 236369707172737475767783 ... LastLast

Thread: 2019 NEAFL discussion thread

Thanks for clarifying it was Andrew not David. That makes more sense. Still a former AFL captain (at North), no?

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by ugg View Post
    Rischitelli was named on the extended bench earlier on but didn't play this game. It's also Andrew Swallow, and not David, even though he was wearing his brother's number. Swallow joining the recent trend of ex-AFL players who are officially coaches or support staff members but suiting up for the NEAFL team when there is a need. Leigh Harding, Dylan Addison, and there was another Suns one that escapes my memory for the moment.
    I've sometimes wondered whether Lloyd Perris has considered pulling on a Swans NEAFL guernsey again. During the pre-season it was reported he often led most of the players in the running sessions, so it sounds like he's retained his fitness at a high level. He's still pretty young.

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    I've sometimes wondered whether Lloyd Perris has considered pulling on a Swans NEAFL guernsey again. During the pre-season it was reported he often led most of the players in the running sessions, so it sounds like he's retained his fitness at a high level. He's still pretty young.
    With the NEAFL finals eligibility rules, he might have to.

- - - Updated - - -

Of course, straight after I posted that, it occurred to me that he would be ineligible.

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    Yes it was the retired swallow. He played mainly in the backline. I don't really see the point of having lloyd play. The listed guys know the structures and even the young ones should be able to guide the toppies. From my observation, given there is no audience to speak of Lloyd communicates what he wants from the sidelines anyway. Like any side there are players who will take instruction and those who will not. Wicks gets a lot of guidance because he will take instruction. He is always the one they yell out to, to fill space etc. Rose gets little because he will not follow the team game plan. On the weekend the runner gave him an instruction and was told by Rose to F&*k off.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by barracuda View Post
    Yes it was the retired swallow. He played mainly in the backline. I don't really see the point of having lloyd play. The listed guys know the structures and even the young ones should be able to guide the toppies. From my observation, given there is no audience to speak of Lloyd communicates what he wants from the sidelines anyway. Like any side there are players who will take instruction and those who will not. Wicks gets a lot of guidance because he will take instruction. He is always the one they yell out to, to fill space etc. Rose gets little because he will not follow the team game plan. On the weekend the runner gave him an instruction and was told by Rose to F&*k off.
    My suggestion (or thought bubble) was less about what it would do for the team, and more about whether it might appeal to Lloyd. He was forced into retirement at a very young age, and I wonder whether he has the desire to play again at a decent level.

Though when the team is down to barely a dozen listed players, I can see the advantages for the team in having another older, wiser body, especially one as talented as Lloyd was (is?) And he was a true ball winning midfielder at NEAFL level, something we don't really have much of.

Didn't Sam Reid at GWS get de-listed, go on to coaching staff and then get redrafted as a player again? Without knowing details of his injury/body issues, it's not beyond imagining that Lloyd Perris could do the same. He certainly looked promising as a rookie and the fact that he's been employed as a coach suggests he has an excellent footy brain. I thought that's what you might be getting at, liz.

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post
    Didn't Sam Reid at GWS get de-listed, go on to coaching staff and then get redrafted as a player again? Without knowing details of his injury/body issues, it's not beyond imagining that Lloyd Perris could do the same. He certainly looked promising as a rookie and the fact that he's been employed as a coach suggests he has an excellent footy brain. I thought that's what you might be getting at, liz.
    Indeed the GWS Sam Reid did retire, become a player welfare manager but also played the season in their NEAFL team and did well enough to get redrafted and now is a mainstay of their defence. The aforementioned Dylan Addison is the current GWS player welfare manager.

The other Sun comes to mind now - it was Eddie Sansbury who let's just say looked like his best and fittest days were well behind him.

A few weeks ago the Swans played Daniel Ryall as a topup in the match at Metricon. That named sounded familiar to me so I looked him up and he turns out to be a former Eastlake player and coach who is now a player development manager at the Swans.

https://au.linkedin.com/in/daniel-ryall-286930b6
    https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/...04-p501q5.html

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar

Looks like Wicks is doing a lot right but perhaps not all that is being asked of him.

I haven't watched the game yet but I like that they recognised Pink for his shutdown role despite him barely having a stat to show for it. Sacrificed his own game for the benefit of the team. That's what is required. I wonder whether this increases his chances of promotion to the senior list, especially given our relative shortage of KPDs?

From a team point of view the killer stat is our low efficiency going inside 50. Not sure if they set up better or if our ball use and skill execution was worse or all of the above.

Looks like Wicks is doing a lot right but perhaps not all that is being asked of him.

I haven't watched the game yet but I like that they recognised Pink for his shutdown role despite him barely having a stat to show for it. Sacrificed his own game for the benefit of the team. That's what is required. I wonder whether this increases his chances of promotion to the senior list, especially given our relative shortage of KPDs?

From a team point of view the killer stat is our low efficiency going inside 50. Not sure if they set up better or if our ball use and skill execution was worse or all of the above.
    I don't think the coaches pick the best players. The swans website never quotes these best players. I think the bests are picked by one of the elderly swans fans, I have seen him with a clipboard doing it. I also understand that the swans internally do their own rankings and Wicks is consistently up towards the top. The old guy doing the bests doesn't understand the value of grunt work and tackling vs outside running and goal scoring.

- - - Updated - - -

If you look at the season stats, Wicks has smashed it, particularly in tackling (he is a pressure forward), however he has made bests only a couple of times.

Looks like Pink is coming along beautifully. The seniors are crying out for a big shutdown defender. For those in the know does he have potential to make the next step?

Quote Originally Posted by S.S. Bleeder View Post
    Looks like Pink is coming along beautifully. The seniors are crying out for a big shutdown defender. For those in the know does he have potential to make the next step?
    I wouldn't call myself in the know, but I'd consider Pink's game to be more robust since making the switch from attack to defence. He's a good size for a KPD and does a lot of things well, but I'd like to see him dominate as a KPD in the NEAFL in 2020 before giving a senior's gig. I think Maibaum was closer to the call up than Pink, but he was injured for most of the year. It will be interesting to see who we retain.