Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 789101112 LastLast

Thread: #AFL Round 3: Blues v Swans Sat 6-Apr at Marvel Stadium #AFLBluesSwans @sydneyswans

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by longmile View Post
    I did post this around 3 quarter time and thought he was very good and composed in the final quarter when Carlton were pressing
    Fair enough, mate.

Veterans List

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by MattW View Post
    He had it 19 times, that's four more than O'Riordan last week. I thought Thurlow used it better and was more influential up the ground - delivered well into the forward line a couple of times. Thurlow 2 I50s, 4R50s, 4 score involvements; COR 0, 1, 2 respectively.
    Agreed. I liked his game a lot.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by lwjoyner View Post
    jackey Lloyd still keeps on turning it over. does it in every game.
    Didn't use to - a 2019 phenomenon.

I’ve been a vocal critic of Longmire’s same old same old approach, but do want to acknowledge how much he is prepared to experiment with players and the positions they play in, this year.

I presume things will settle down once he finds the right combination, but dropping Melican and moving McCartin to defence, playing AA in the ruck (or not), putting Jones on the ball, Papley wing/forward this week etc.

His boldness also expresses how many players are new or playing new roles (midfield in particular) this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    I’ve been a vocal critic of Longmire’s same old same old approach, but do want to acknowledge how much he is prepared to experiment with players and the positions they play in, this year.

I presume things will settle down once he finds the right combination, but dropping Melican and moving McCartin to defence, playing AA in the ruck (or not), putting Jones on the ball, Papley wing/forward this week etc.

His boldness also expresses how many players are new or playing new roles (midfield in particular) this year.
    Yeah credit where credit is due , he’s thrown the magnets around . I also liked how we lowered the eyes yesterday , didn’t blaze away, hit up the short targets , but kept moving it forward slowly but surely. Same thing we did against Melbourne at the G last season. More measured , smart footy. Also how we managed to get the game on our terms after a shootout first qtr , but we executed our game style as we actually stuck our tackles and were more effective in close. I didn’t see the last qtr as I had to leave to go out but obviously we dropped off a bit. Still a lot to like from that performance , and a lot to work on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You did well not to see the last quarter. Swans under siege. About 18 inside 50s to 5, but we grimly clung on.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    You did well not to see the last quarter. Swans under siege. About 18 inside 50s to 5, but we grimly clung on.
    We had many opportunities to go 40 plus points up during 3rd quarter. Dominated the game. 19 pts very flattering for blues on how the game was played. We mixed our pressure game with precise kicking around the ground. Jones and Florent gave us pace in midfield. Also, Cunningham is underrated. Blakey has serious speed to go with height. Didn't realise how he could become a gun in midfield. Serious talent. McCartin very impressive. Will be great to watch our development.

Dawson was also much better this game. I feel if he gets a run of games in the seniors we will see sharp improvement over the course of the season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If the blues were more accurate in front of goal, we would have been cooked.
    Happy we got four points, but they REALLY need to start playing a lot better than that.
    Wild speculation, unsubstantiated rumours, silly jokes and opposition delight in another's failures is what makes an internet forum fun.
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones who let in the light.

On the Rookie List
    First live game of the year for me. I thought we were the better team and should have been out of sight at 3/4 time.
    Our centre bounce work is dreadful. The 6-6-6 rule has made the emphasis on a speedy clearance rather than the contested ball that Kennedy and Parker are good at. They are too slow to 1. get a quick clearance themselves and 2. stop a quick clearance of the opposition. Only one of them should be in the middle at any one time. Jones is very important to us now and I wouldn't be surprised to see Papley become a midfield regular.
    Dawson needs a run of games and I think we'll end up with a very good footballer. Thurlow was useful, McCartin competed well and Blakey has an immense amount of talent, although goes missing for long periods (I'll give him a break, he is 3 games into his career). As much as we want to see Mills in the midfield, it is evident why he played in defence so much, his reading of the play is superb.

Zak Jones deservedly made Robbo's list of "likes" this week.

Category: | Herald Sun

John Longmire’s bid to inject speed into the centre square has delivered Jones as a surprising beneficiary. The 24-year-old has played mainly wing and halfback in his 76-game career, but that is changing rapidly. In Round 1, he played 20 per cent in the middle. In Round 2, it was 49 per cent. On Saturday against Carlton, he spent 76 per cent of his game time in the centre square, attending a career-high 15 centre bounces.

He finished with a career-high 31 disposals, and his seven clearances were the equal of Josh Kennedy. If Jones can keep his frustrations in check — he’s quite familiar with the MRO — his football is set to flourish.

I'm a bit heartbroken for McHack and Little Willy.
    What will we do without them? Maccas had a good couple of weeks.
    Wild speculation, unsubstantiated rumours, silly jokes and opposition delight in another's failures is what makes an internet forum fun.
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones who let in the light.

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 789101112 LastLast