Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: South Australian Swans supporters 2019 Christmas dinner

South Australian Swans supporters 2019 Christmas dinner

For any Swans supporters based in Adelaide/South Australia,

The SA Swans supports group are holding a Christmas Dinner with special guest speaker, former Swan, Max James, on Friday 6th December, 6:30pm at the Cathedral Hotel, 45 Kermode St, North Adelaide

MAX FACTS:
    - Recruited from Port Adelaide Magpies (156 games, 175 goals (1971-1977, 1982-1984) 1977 SANFL Premiership player)
    - 8 State games, 9 goals for South Australia (1977 Simpson Medalist vs WA)
    - Swans 54 games 57 goals (1978-1982)

Matty will interview Max, continuing on his 'Open Matt' series.

Entry is $5 per person, payable on the night, to cover costs (room hire, guest speaker etc)

The Cathedral have also kindly offered to provide the same meal deal as previous functions - $25 for a meal and drink - details below.

Restricted ala carte menu
    $25 per person including a soft drink, pint of beer or glass of wine
    -fish and chips (gluten free option)
    -lemon pepper squid (gluten free option)
    -beef or chicken schnitzel (gravy, mushroom, pepper only)
    -falafel burger (vegetarian)
    -beef burger

So SA Swans Fans are welcome to join them for a meal or just come along for a drink or two, say hello to everyone, and listen to Max's interview.

Please let the SA Swans supporter group coordinator know if you would like to attend for dinner or just drinks: RSVP by Friday 15th November so that they can arrange table numbers.

Cheer Cheer

RSVP: [email protected]

I'll be there.

Quote Originally Posted by Blood Relative View Post
    I'll be there.
    Should be a good night. Look forward to seeing you there!

Veterans List
    Events like this would be very enjoyable.....again I wish everyone who attends a great night.

Go Swans fans!

Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    Events like this would be very enjoyable.....again I wish everyone who attends a great night.

Go Swans fans!
    Yeah, unfortunately unlike Sydney & Melbourne we don’t really have much of an opportunity for big Swans functions here, but the get-togethers to watch games during the season are fun and an event like this brings supporters closer together & the past players (so far Ryan O’Keefe, Marty Mattner, Scott Direen & now Max) might make us feel a little closer to the club. Great & tireless work from the coordinators to organise events like this for the supporters over in SA.

As an aside, memorabilia is often up for auction or raffle on the night. I’m not sure, but I wonder if the coordinators might take interstate bidders or raffle ticket purchases for those interested who can’t actually attend. Often it has to do with the guests (last year it was a large framed print signed - and personalised if the auction winner wished - by Scott Direen) or items donated by the Swans themselves I guess anyone interested could email the coordinators to find out

Will Max's son Health who also played for us be in attendance? Heath was struck down cruelly by injuries which curtailed his career. I always thought Max was a underrated player being able to play key forward or back. I remember that hangar he took at the Lake Oval against Hawthorn, on John Hendrie I think?

I also wish everyone in SA a great night!

One year I'll rock up as the "special guest".
    One year.
    Wild speculation, unsubstantiated rumours, silly jokes and opposition delight in another's failures is what makes an internet forum fun.
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones who let in the light.

Quote Originally Posted by KSAS View Post
    Will Max's son Health who also played for us be in attendance? Heath was struck down cruelly by injuries which curtailed his career.
    Don’t think so. I’m pretty sure that Heath still resides in Sydney
    Quote Originally Posted by AnnieH View Post
    One year.
    There will always be a seat at our table for you Annie! I needed a date this year, as goswannette will be away

Quote Originally Posted by AnnieH View Post
    One year.
    You would still be very welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post

Go Swans fans!
    It is a top night, Steve. The organisers, Jeanette and Peter, work their guts out to make these events special, memorable and terrific value. I would buy you a beer if you made it along. You meet some great supporters who are passionate about our team. A highlight is the room coming together as a group at the end of the night to sing the club song. It makes you feel special.
    "Give a man an airline and he will rob the people. Give a man a government and he will rob the world"

Are you here yet Goswannies?

Quote Originally Posted by Blood Relative View Post
    Are you here yet Goswannies?
    Hey there (I PM’d you)

I was indeed there! Sorry, I only just jumped on RWO. Very enjoyable night. Fewer people than the previous one with Scott Direen, but still a wonderful night.

Max James was a great speaker. Affable, generous, eloquent & humble. Told some interesting stories about the late days of South Melbourne (including the dark transition from South to Sydney - from a player’s perspective - and early days of Sydney); his recruitment & career (pre- & post- the Swans); his son (Heath). Max was quite open and enlightening. He mingled and chatted with supporters throughout the evening, signed for fans and posed for photos.

Meals at the Cathedral Hotel were nice and the Swans first SCG game was played on the big TV in the background during the evening (a game that Max played in).

There were raffles (major prize was a large - A3 - print of Max that he signed on the night for the winner; with 4 other prizes of Swans related items and wine).

Speaking with Jeanette (one of the coordinators), she asked if I could relay to any SA Swans fans (or anyone else who is interested) on RWO that they would be very welcome to join the ranks of the SA Swans supporter group. You can contact Jeanette via email ( [email protected] ) to be added to the mailing list (you’re not bombarded) which will inform you of get togethers to watch matches on a big TV at a family & Swans friendly venue (with drinks and meals available), events (such as the Christmas dinner or other functions; pre-match functions before Swans games in Adelaide where Swans fans unite and is very welcoming to travelling Swans supporters ... you might even get the chance to go out on the ground with the Swans cheer-squad to raise the banner; guest speakers - from memory, over the years they’ve had Ryan O’Keefe, Marty Mattner, Scott Direen Max James, Will Hayward, Heath James, Tony Morwood - John Roberts and Elkin Reilly have made appearances); auctions and raffles (that fund raise for the supporter group and club - with Swans related prizes).

So anyone interested in joining the Swans supporter group, please contact Jeanette (I believe they might also have a presence on either Twitter &/or Facebook).
    Last edited by goswannies; 7th December 2019 at 01:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by goswannies View Post
    Hey there (I PM’d you)

I was indeed there! Sorry, I only just jumped on RWO. Very enjoyable night. Fewer people than the previous one with Scott Direen, but still a wonderful night.

Max James was a great speaker. Affable, generous, eloquent & humble. Told some interesting stories about the late days of South Melbourne (including the dark transition from South to Sydney - from a player’s perspective - and early days of Sydney); his recruitment & career (pre- & post- the Swans); his son (Heath). Max was quite open and enlightening. He mingled and chatted with supporters throughout the evening, signed for fans and posed for photos.

Meals at the Cathedral Hotel were nice and the Swans first SCG game was played on the big TV in the background during the evening (a game that Max played in).

There were raffles (major prize was a large - A3 - print of Max that he signed on the night for the winner; with 4 other prizes of Swans related items and wine).

Speaking with Jeanette (one of the coordinators), she asked if I could relay to any SA Swans fans (or anyone else who is interested) on RWO that they would be very welcome to join the ranks of the SA Swans supporter group. You can contact Jeanette via email ( [email protected] ) to be added to the mailing list (you’re not bombarded) which will inform you of get togethers to watch matches on a big TV at a family & Swans friendly venue (with drinks and meals available), events (such as the Christmas dinner or other functions; pre-match functions before Swans games in Adelaide where Swans fans unite and is very welcoming to travelling Swans supporters ... you might even get the chance to go out on the ground with the Swans cheer-squad to raise the banner; guest speakers - from memory, over the years they’ve had Ryan O’Keefe, Marty Mattner, Scott Direen Max James, Will Hayward, Heath James, Tony Morwood - John Roberts and Elkin Reilly have made appearances); auctions and raffles (that fund raise for the supporter group and club - with Swans related prizes).

So anyone interested in joining the Swans supporter group, please contact Jeanette (I believe they might also have a presence on either Twitter &/or Facebook).
    Elkin Reilly! Wow! He must be a fair age by now!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast