Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Jake Lloyd Rising Star Nomination

Mitchell may play seniors, he may not. But to me it comes down to his match fitness in a clearly injury-interrupted season and preseason. I don't understand why you need to conjure up conspiracy theories out of thin air when those facts are obvious. Everyone is suddenly concerned about resting players. Can I suggest that the last thing we need is two weeks in a row where we have to activate our sub in the first quarter because Mitchell goes down with a recurring ankle problem.

Every reserves player that moves to the seniors comments on the greatly elevated work rate, two way running, speed and physicality of games. Just because Mitchell can handle the intensity of reserves football doesn't mean he is automatically ready to move to seniors.

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    After reading Coach Crouch's report I'm confident that if Tom is needed, he's ready:

NEAFL Player of the Week ? Tom Mitchell

Tom was very good on the weekend. He has been progressively playing more game time in recent weeks after a layoff with a knee injury and he was back to his best with 11 clearances and six inside 50?s. As we have come to expect, his inside work was good, and he was able to get more outside ball this week and have a big influence on the game.

Key Stats: 15 kicks, 12 handballs, four marks, 11 clearances, six inside 50s

- See more at: NEAFL Wrap - Round 20 - sydneyswans.com.au
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Suspended by the MRP
    Quote Originally Posted by dimelb View Post
    After reading Coach Crouch's report I'm confident that if Tom is needed, he's ready:

Tom was very good on the weekend. He has been progressively playing more game time in recent weeks after a layoff with a knee injury and he was back to his best with 11 clearances and six inside 50?s. As we have come to expect, his inside work was good, and he was able to get more outside ball this week and have a big influence on the game.

He is ready to go based on the above assessment. We are two inside midfilders down. He must play. Its as simple as that.

Crouch's choice of words suggests Mitchell's recovery is still a work in progress.

Back to Lloyd: Moves well in traffic, has a huge tank and lots of time, makes good decisions, kicks straight as an arrow. Star.

Some additional nice points made about Jake in this article, including the following:

"While Melbourne clubs whinge about the Swans being able to buy in big name forwards Lance Franklin and Kurt Tippett, Lloyd and Cunningham continue to highlight that most of the club?s players are rookies and rejects who could have been chosen by any club.

Lloyd, 20, was overlooked in successive national drafts and Cunningham was originally a Riverina boy zoned to GWS but was ignored by the Giants and the remainder of the competition."

Also, I laughed at the following:

'Lloyd, has sung the team song 15 times since (being selected in the seniors) and described the loss to reigning premier Hawthorn as ?a bit of a shock.?

Yes, I know the song pretty well,? he said.'

http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/jak...-1227029322552

When was the last time one of the favourites for the premiership had 2 Rising Star nominations?

Quote Originally Posted by ShockOfHair View Post
    Crouch's choice of words suggests Mitchell's recovery is still a work in progress.
    Not the way I read it;
    "He has been progressively playing more game time in recent weeks after a layoff with a knee injury and he was back to his best with 11 clearances and six inside 50?s."

Back to his best and must be an inclusion this week now Kennedy and Bird likely out.

Quote Originally Posted by Conor_Dillon View Post
    Yeh I don't think it's a relevant debate...apples and oranges!

You could compare a Mitchell and a Bird or a Lloyd with a Cunningham for instance.

But as The_Jam said...lets all just be excited about the young players on our list.
    Almost Connor but I think Lloydy & Harry are different to each other again. Lloydy is not an elite runner like Harry he's a gut runner and works hard to make position all the time. He is elusive rather than outright fast, Scarlet Pimpernel comes to mind. More like Hannas really, tough, uncompromising, elusive, great delivery & can play in or outside the contest easily.

While I'm here congrats Lloydy a wonderful achievement, although I thought you should have got one earlier than this! You was robbed earlier in the year.

This kid is going to be a wonderful player over a lot of years. It is his maturity that astounds me. I first noticed that the year we drafted him when he played inn the pre-season cup. He slotted a huge goal from something like 55-60 metres from a set shot. The thing that amazed me was the other players weren't even seriously calling for the ball. In other words they had seen this at training. his goal against Port was so good and he just treated it like another kick. Last week he was slowing things down and setting up play. That is maturity in a young bloke.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by dimelb View Post

Mitchell was very good. He was in and under all day and because of that sometimes doesn't get as much recognition as he should. The problem is most people don't realise how much play he actually starts by extracting.

Can the Tom Mitchell stuff be moved to the appropriate thread please?

On the Rookie List Conor_Dillon's Avatar
    Wolfy do you mean Lloyd isn't an elite runner speed wise? As far as endurance goes I believe he is in our top handful, if he doesn't have Harry covered in the beep-test and 3km time trial he would be very close! I think his beep is high 15's from memory? Obviously Harry has him covered for speed but Jakey is no slouch in that area either!

By the way how good is it being in a position where we can have discussions about how good our young players are whilst sitting pretty on top of the latter? We are blessed to barrack for such a great club!

- - - Updated - - -

Oh and we're the only club in the top 4 to have a Rising Star nomination...2 if you don't mind!
    Twitter @cmdil
    Instagram @conordillon

AFL website prediction for Rising Star

It's Bont (61 votes) vs Lewis Taylor (59 votes)

Harry Cunningham polled 6 votes.

Jake Lloyd: 0.

Last Sunday

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast