Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Round 1: Brisbane Lions Reserves v Sydney Swans Reserves @ Burpengary

Veteran Site Admin
    That's a pretty comprehensive annihilation of another AFL reserves team - 120 points or so in the end. Looks like the Lions gave up in the second half and just let the Swans run around getting disposals at will. Given there wasn't a great difference in the number of listed vs top ups who played, I imagine the Lions would be a little concerned about their next generation.

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    FT Swans 25.12 163 Lions 5.10 40 Goals: Wilson 5 Rose 3 Davis 3 Dawson 3 Nankervis 2 Hiscox 2 Behagg 2 Galloway 2 McGlynn Hebron Reinhard

McGlynn a great hitout 21 disposals 9 tackles 3 marks 1 goal. Rose 19 touches 6 marks and 3 goals 4 behinds. Marsh 26 disp 5 marks 5 tackles

Wilson 5 straight from 11 kicks not bad. Dawson 20 disposals 9 marks and 3.1. Foote 23 disp 6 marks 7 tackles.

Disposals Marsh 26 Foote Hiscox 23 Newman 22 McGlynn 21 Dawson 20 Rose Leonardis 19 Davis 18 Aliir Veale 17 Nankervis 16

Tackles McGlynn 9 Foote 7 Marsh 5 McFadden 4 Leonardis 3 Aliir Davis Newman Galloway Reinhard 2

Marks Dawson 9 Hiscox 8 Foote Reinhard Hebron Nankervis Rose Newman 6 Behagg Marsh Aliir 5 Veale O'Riordan 4 Davis McGlynn McFadden 3

I can't believe this. I got the feed on NEAFL app. Very good actually. But to beat another AFL listed side in the NEAFL this way tells me the Lions are in for a long season in both AFL and NEAFL. Looks like our depth is not so bad after all. If you have REAL footy talent mixed with composed youngsters you have depth no matter the experience of the players. Sheeds nearly won a premiership with a team of first and second year players because they had talent and composure. It is all about perspective. Our depth has been tested in the last few years due to several factors, retirements, players leaving for more money, us not being able to fit players in the salary cap and youth that needed developing. The young players from the last two drafts have developed and the new young players are a very different breed who bring great kicking skills and confidence to the table. Can't wait to actually see them play. great in the Intra and NAB.

Is that Matt Wilson the academy player from last year we and everyone else passed on in the draft?

Quote Originally Posted by Levii3 View Post
    Is that Matt Wilson the academy player from last year we and everyone else passed on in the draft?
    Five isn't a bad haul for the match!

Best players H.Marsh J.Foote N.Newman M.Wilson A.Davis J.Dawson

Quote Originally Posted by ugg View Post
    Interesting that the Brisbane reserves report had the following for our best players:
    Wilson, Hiscox, Foote, Marsh, Newman, Rose

McGlynn didn't make either list.

I also found the following sentence in their report noteworthy:
    'Josh McGuiness provided some response to Sydney�s speedsters, whilst Archie Smith earned praise with his work in the ruck, helping the Lions win the hitouts 42-23'

mainly because of the word 'speedsters' and the fact that we must have done a lot to counter their dominance in hitouts.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    Interesting that the Brisbane reserves report had the following for our best players:
    Wilson, Hiscox, Foote, Marsh, Newman, Rose

McGlynn didn't make either list.

I also found the following sentence in their report noteworthy:
    'Josh McGuiness provided some response to Sydney�s speedsters, whilst Archie Smith earned praise with his work in the ruck, helping the Lions win the hitouts 42-23'

mainly because of the word 'speedsters' and the fact that we must have done a lot to counter their dominance in hitouts.
    It appears Matt Wilson is one of those 'speedsters': North Shore Young Guns and the Swans Academy - Club News | North Shore

Quote Originally Posted by MattW View Post
    It appears Matt Wilson is one of those 'speedsters': North Shore Young Guns and the Swans Academy - Club News | North Shore
    The BLions Match Report notes he is a Champion Touch Footballer.
    The eternal connundrum "what happens when an unstoppable force meets an immovable object" was finally solved when David Hasselhoff punched himself in the face.

Quote Originally Posted by Levii3 View Post
    Yep but I'm happy enough with Papley's efforts to date

I had periods of silence today whilst three-chins was commentating but one thing they did mention was that we only just squeezed young Tom into the cap.

In bringing players in to the rookie list I still think we have to be absolutely ruthless in not giving list slots away locally but where all things are equal surely you'd go with a local kid, I was hoping at least one of the academy boys would be rookie listed but he didn't seem to be the most prominent, maybe he is just a late bloomer. Galloway was a good choice I think because as a ruckman he'll need some time, plus he's massive. Sam Murray was another really left field rookie spot but I'll back our rookie program

Quote Originally Posted by ugg View Post
    Is that consecutive BOGs for Marsh? After being our best NEAFL player last year too? I really hope that if he keeps doing all that is asked of him, which I infer he must be from his repeated selection as best Swans NEAFL player, he eventually gets his opportunity to prove himself in the seniors.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast