Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 67891011 LastLast

Thread: GWS and it's impact on your club - Please Answer

Quote Originally Posted by Rowdy#8 View Post

A question for you - Can you please tell us what the swans do for the senior clubs in the swans zones. This board has had lots of discussion about why gws entered a partnership with Manly, and that baffles me as much as everyone else, but coming from the other angle, what were (or weren't) the swans doing with the best senior club in their area if Manly had to turn to GWS for assistance ? I'm genuinely hoping you attempt to answer this one instead of your usual treatment of inconvenient questions (like ignoring or resorting name calling).
    As far as I know, Sydney Swans were never paid by AFL to develop AFL market in Sydney, but GWS is and that is the point of this thread. Until academies and GWS came along, AFL themselves were responsible to develop AFL game in Sydney not the Swans, and we know how bad they were at that.
    Only Sydney Swans haters would derailed this thread with their petty comments and there are a few of them around here.

Quote Originally Posted by Zlatorog View Post
    As far as I know, Sydney Swans were never paid by AFL to develop AFL market in Sydney, but GWS is and that is the point of this thread. Until academies and GWS came along, AFL themselves were responsible to develop AFL game in Sydney not the Swans, and we know how bad they were at that.
    So you are saying the extra development because of the introduction of GWS is basically good for football.
    give it to the game

Pushing for Selection
    Quote Originally Posted by Zlatorog View Post
    Only Sydney Swans haters would derailed this thread with their petty comments and there are a few of them around here.
    If you're referring to me there, I am by no means a swans hater. I'm glad that both Sydney teams are doing well, but I'm more a supporter of growing footy at grass roots than a particular AFL club. If anything, this thread was started as an anti GWS thread - again, I realise this is a swans board so some swans bias is expected, but as Cos has pointed out, in addressing some home truths, you have come around to the same conclusion as the posters on here that haven't been clouded by that bias, ie that having GWS is good for the development of the game.

Quote Originally Posted by cos789 View Post
    So you are saying the extra development because of the introduction of GWS is basically good for football.
    It's fantastic if it was used to develop the code in a "greenfield" area, that is relevant to the new franchise, like oh, I don't know, let's say Greater Western Sydney!

Not when it is spent developing the code in the Riverina and Canberra, which are as established as any other part of regional Victoria ... Get it?

Quote Originally Posted by unconfuseme View Post
    It's fantastic if it was used to develop the code in a "greenfield" area, that is relevant to the new franchise, like oh, I don't know, let's say Greater Western Sydney!

Not when it is spent developing the code in the Riverina and Canberra, which are as established as any other part of regional Victoria ... Get it?
    So you're saying Canberra is a part of Victoria?
    give it to the game

cos, why do you feel the need to embarrass yourself on every forum you can? bigfooty, league unlimited, anywhere else?

Quote Originally Posted by saviour01 View Post
    cos, why do you feel the need to embarrass yourself on every forum you can? bigfooty, league unlimited, anywhere else?
    Why do you continue to make ficticious and irrelevent remarks directed at people rather than subject in question? Is is because you cannot make a valid contribution?

There has been no stronger advocate for Australian Football and the Sydney Swans since their inception in Sydney.
    There is probably few people who have attended more games of Australian Football at the SCG than me.
    Unlike some people here who post for somewhat dubious reasons I am not jealous at the attention that our cross-city rival is attracting.
    Just like the Swans were criticised for being successful now GWS is being criticised for being succesful.

If the introduction of GWS had to be the catylist for investment in Australian Football in Sydney then so be it.
    The introduction of GWS has had so many benefits one of which is drawing higher crowds than 4 rl clubs.
    Isn't that good savour?
    give it to the game

Pushing for Selection
    Quote Originally Posted by unconfuseme View Post

There's alot more to the academies and pathways programs that you'll here about from the Age or by listening to Damien Barrett or Eddie.

Let's take Conner Owen-Auburn as a case study. At 13, he was dominating at the St.Clair club. Pre academy era, he most likely would be carried on, being coached by his teammates dad, continuing to dominate lesser talented kids before maybe going on to a prem division club and getting by on natural ability. But, with the GWS academy in place, he had the opportunity to be coached by top level coaches, get expert help with fitness and nutrition programs, and train/play with and against the best kids in the state and continually take his game to new levels. With the benefit of 4 years of top development, he played a bit of seniors last year at Penno as a 17 year old and did very well. TAC cup this year with a chance of being drafted or Rookie listed at the end of the year.

Best case scenario is that he gets taken by an AFL club, gives other kids in the area a role model to aspire to, and one day brings that experience back into the Sydney AFL. Worst case, is that he is overlooked, comes back to Penno and our league has another top line player. Much better than the pre-academy scenario of player potential going to waste.
    Last edited by Rowdy#8; 30th May 2016 at 09:08 AM.

Since the missus and I had a little boy for me to live my failed dreams through, I've been looking at the junior set up of footy in Sydney and how the landscape has changed.

Back in my junior days, from Hills/District to Hills/Hornsby to Northside comps, we would play far and wide against the stronger clubs - Penno, Westbrook, Baulko et al. Then we expanded and combined with North-Shore Warringah and competed against the likes of Forest, St Ives, Willoughby. Sure, the boys at Seven Hills would rarely scratch up a win against the powerhouses but it made you realise how hard footy was getting, there were no easy games any more, coz the likes of Penrith and Hawkesbury were playing against the same tough teams.

I look now, and for my little bloke to play for Hawkesbury (my junior club has since disappeared, and I live 30 minutes from Richmond anyway) would mean playing in a 2nd tier comp against Camden, Campbelltown, Emu Plains etc. Sure, these clubs might be strong in their own right, but are they big fish in a small pond? If he shows any potential (if he does indeed play footy) will I have to drive an hour to Kellyville or Baulko for him to compete in the Sydney Harbour comp? We all know that development officers are quick to rubbish the smaller clubs to potential academy footballers to get them to the stronger clubs, its happened since my days and any suggestion it doesn't is bullspit.

But if that's what it takes for my son to be be noticed and get those opportunities, well that's what will happen. My dad was willing to bust his arse to get me noticed, I was just too lazy and hated the system at that age. And God knows the current rabble that is Division 2 Under 19s is no place to be noticed these days.

Pushing for Selection
    Quote Originally Posted by Pekay View Post
    Since the missus and I had a little boy for me to live my failed dreams through, I've been looking at the junior set up of footy in Sydney and how the landscape has changed.

Back in my junior days, from Hills/District to Hills/Hornsby to Northside comps, we would play far and wide against the stronger clubs - Penno, Westbrook, Baulko et al. Then we expanded and combined with North-Shore Warringah and competed against the likes of Forest, St Ives, Willoughby. Sure, the boys at Seven Hills would rarely scratch up a win against the powerhouses but it made you realise how hard footy was getting, there were no easy games any more, coz the likes of Penrith and Hawkesbury were playing against the same tough teams.

I look now, and for my little bloke to play for Hawkesbury (my junior club has since disappeared, and I live 30 minutes from Richmond anyway) would mean playing in a 2nd tier comp against Camden, Campbelltown, Emu Plains etc. Sure, these clubs might be strong in their own right, but are they big fish in a small pond? If he shows any potential (if he does indeed play footy) will I have to drive an hour to Kellyville or Baulko for him to compete in the Sydney Harbour comp? We all know that development officers are quick to rubbish the smaller clubs to potential academy footballers to get them to the stronger clubs, its happened since my days and any suggestion it doesn't is bullspit.

But if that's what it takes for my son to be be noticed and get those opportunities, well that's what will happen. My dad was willing to bust his arse to get me noticed, I was just too lazy and hated the system at that age. And God knows the current rabble that is Division 2 Under 19s is no place to be noticed these days.
    Your drive might be a little bit longer Pekay. As of this year, both Baulko and Kellyville have moved to the Western Sydney comps. Still some teams playing in North Harbour during transition but the majority now playing in the Westetn Sydney comps.

So it would seem there is little future focus on kids in the greater west if that's the case. Kurrajong to Pennant Hills or Cherrybrook is a big ask. 40km the way the crow flies. Might just move to Melbourne!

Warming the Bench
    Quote Originally Posted by Rowdy#8 View Post

A question for you - Can you please tell us what the swans do for the senior clubs in the swans zones. This board has had lots of discussion about why gws entered a partnership with Manly, and that baffles me as much as everyone else, but coming from the other angle, what were (or weren't) the swans doing with the best senior club in their area if Manly had to turn to GWS for assistance ? I'm genuinely hoping you attempt to answer this one instead of your usual treatment of inconvenient questions (like ignoring or resorting name calling).
    In my 15 years with the Southern Power - F@#k All.....
    Carn the Southern Power.....

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 67891011 LastLast