Page 14 of 26 FirstFirst ... 410111213141516171824 ... LastLast

Thread: Swans' Pre-season 2019

Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post
    There's a reason Pink got a third season, coaches must see something. Given all the bagging he gets on here, I'll have a chuckle if he does make AFL :-)

Is Snuffallafagous correctly spelled?
    Nope

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    There's a fair amount of content in that designed to get us drooling. Not just that three important players have left the rehab group, but also the comments on Papley and Blakey. Plus I'd love to see Dawson and COR play so well during the pre-season games that they can't be left out of the round 1 side. I don't want to think about who they'd replace in the "best 22", but I think they each bring something to the side otherwise lacking, and we'll be a better side if they are genuinely in the best 22.
    Well for a start Smithy will be way behind the eight ball for a round 1 start. He is still in the rehab group so there is a gap in the back pocket. Kizza is on his last legs so Dawson could get a look in. But there is going to be a greater competition for spots this year as injuries are quite low at this stage and all the players who were injured last season, barring Smithy and Bud, seem to be on track. Touch wood that will continue.

Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post
    There's a reason Pink got a third season, coaches must see something. Given all the bagging he gets on here, I'll have a chuckle if he does make AFL :-)

Is Snuffallafagous correctly spelled?

This kid played really well in his first season, especially for a project player. He was plagued with injuries last season. He could not get his body right. The thing the coaches will love about this bloke is the second and third efforts and his determination. He ticks all those boxes. I think if he doesn't make it here a year in a good comp, SANFL, VFL, WAFL will see him get another shot. He has some pretty good aspects to his game; he is VERY quick for a big guy. He can take a very good mark even though in his first year he was a little under weight for the NEAFL. He gives you full effort every time, that was why I was surprised when he finally made and appearance last year that he was not chasing etc. He tackles with ferocity. His kicking is generally very good. He brings the ball to ground.

So a lot of upside.

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar

Mills playing inside mid against Jordan Dawson in this clip.

Not sure who Sinclair is rucking against, his opponent is also wearing 18

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar

Fantastic news. Not so much that Mills is playing in the midfield, because we were expecting that, but because he played as an inside mid, which we desperately need and played well in that role.

It was also good to read the Clarke got plenty of possessions on the wing. Another player type that we desperately need.

Yes, looking forward to seeing more of Mills in the midfield. Hopefully he will live up to the original hype, where he was proclaimed to be the best midfielder in his draft year.
    Nice that Papley is supposed to be firing in the midfield, as well. He can explode away from contests: something that we possibly lacked last year.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by ugg View Post

I like reading the words "skills have been pretty good" 😊.

Snuffalluffagous came up inauto spell so I went with it 😊....Mythical creature (who really does exist) from Sesame St for those under 45

I'm pleased to see Mills doing well in the midfield, where he's always belonged. We should be a much improved team if Thurlow can hold down that spot that Mills was playing last season. Thurlow is a pretty good player with the height and pace that goes well as a third tallish defender.

I'm also concur with Liz' earlier comment: I'd love to see Dawson and COR play so well during the pre-season games that they can't be left out of the round 1 side. These 2 fourth year players are ready to roll and both should be regulars in the side, unless we mess things up by playing some over the hill vets in their stead.

The solution to our midfield problems were closer at hand that some thought. The bolstering of our back and forward lines have made several players available to reposition to the midfield. The addition of Clarke and a healthy Dawson also help.

Is anyone able to clarify if McCartin was switched to defence during the game? It'd be interesting to see if they are considering turning him into a swing man. This could be an ndication that the club is confident that Blakey will be getting a lot of games this season.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by S.S. Bleeder View Post
    Is anyone able to clarify if McCartin was switched to defence during the game? It'd be interesting to see if they are considering turning him into a swing man. This could be an ndication that the club is confident that Blakey will be getting a lot of games this season.
    This is from the article mentioned earlier.

'Young key position prospect Tom McCartin continued his strong pre-season and booted two goals in the first half opposed to Jack Maibaum, before he was moved into defence to play on Reid and did a solid job after half-time.'

Sounds like he did ok.....