Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: Paul Roos to hand over coaching role to John Longmire

A quote from Real Footy

The prospect of Roos agreeing to an orderly handover to Longmire has been in the wind for years, long before Buckley and Mick Malthouse did their tango.

It is a credit to Paul Roos that, quite voluntarily, without any prodding from the hierarchy, he has consented - arguably engineered - to give up the headphones and quite a bit of money and let Longmire have his job.

That's the kind of club-first selflessness coaches demand of players. In Sydney, it's not just a slogan.

Roos was on 702AM this morning and indicated that he still would like to be around the club after he steps down contributing in other aspects of its operation such as media.

He also indicated how the changeover suited the players group and the culture built up by Maxfield et al more than a new coach coming in and changing everything.
    "My theory is that the universe is made out of stupidity because it's more plentiful than hydrogen" - Frank Zappa

Quote Originally Posted by Lohengrin View Post
    Maybe Lyon was the architect of the defensive game.
    Must be it. It's got nothing to do with Roosey being one of the best defenders in the business!!
    Wild speculation, unsubstantiated rumours, silly jokes and opposition delight in another's failures is what makes an internet forum fun.
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones who let in the light.

Veterans List
    I was working and only caught part of that interview. But it's weird how Stewie is regarded as the architect, with Roos, of player empowerment - and is still with the club but is largely overlooked in this forum as the credit goes to Kirk who was merely a great tagger lifting his game at the time.

I wonder if the news will lift the team for the weekend?

Quote Originally Posted by AnnieH View Post
    Must be it. It's got nothing to do with Roosey being one of the best defenders in the business!!
    Haha. Roos was one of the best CHBs ever, but was a flamboyant attacking one, rather than a defensive one (although he could be an excellent defensive player, it wasn't his main thing). The Swans play nothing like Roos did (unfortunately).

Senior Player
    Wonder what everyone's thoughts would be if we were to have a disastrous 2010 and finish bottom of the ladder??

Senior Player
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Go Swannies View Post
    I was working and only caught part of that interview. But it's weird how Stewie is regarded as the architect, with Roos, of player empowerment - and is still with the club but is largely overlooked in this forum as the credit goes to Kirk who was merely a great tagger lifting his game at the time.
    Yep - I have often wondered about this, though not to downplay the role of Kirk who has been a fantastic on-field leader, but Stewie played a big part in our premiership too.

This article's from May 6, 2005, just before we took on Essendon - the game that really turned everything around. We came from 3 goals down at the last change to win by a goal, if we'd lost that we would have been 2-5 and would have struggled to make top 4 let alone win the flag! This is Paul Roos talking about Maxfield:

"Paul Kelly was a great captain and there was widespread concern, not only with the Swans but the football community, that it was going to be hard to replace Paul Kelly. Stuart's been an outstanding captain and probably better than what we ever imagined he would be.

"The impact he has had on the footy club over the last two years and the success we've had while we're trying to rebuild ? we've made the finals and his input has been fantastic and I don't think that is going to dissipate now that he's not captain.

"He's got so much respect amongst his peers that when he comes in later in the week, he'll still do his mentoring and he'll still be the leader that he's always been."
    Maxfield steps down, Swans look for someone to step up

Richmond were mentioned before. If I were in charge of the Tigers I'd think seriously about interviewing Maxfield for the coaching position, it'd be an ideal fit -- Rawlings talked about the need for cultural change after we belted them on the weekend and who better to provide it? We know that his family is in Melbourne otherwise he would no doubt be considered for a full-time role at the Swans.
    Last edited by Xie Shan; 13th August 2009 at 12:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Go Swannies View Post

I wonder if the news will lift the team for the weekend?
    Does anyone remember that Kirky was about to be told that he wouldn't be getting much game time in 2003, and that Stuey went to the coaches and more or less begged them to keep him on? Said it would be a big mistake to let him go and they had to keep playing him. He was right. He was an instigater of the player ownership. He is a major catalist for everything good that has happened to this club since he was made Captain. His Captains speech at the B&F in 2003 was one of the finest I have heard. He is a clear thinker with clear vision and no tabs on himself. He is one of the best things that has ever happened to this Club. The stone in the pond from which all ripples happened.

I hold him in the highest esteem, and am pleased to say I have told him so to his face, and the reasons why.

I am not sure if Stuey is coaching material however. He is a fairly retiring type of guy, which is not something that works fantastically well in a coaching position; getting him to speak to the media would be fun to watch tho.
    Last edited by Primmy; 13th August 2009 at 12:59 PM.
    If you've never jumped from one couch to the other to save yourself from lava then you didn't have a childhood

Regular in the Side
    The Glorious Peoples Republic of Hookturnistan
    Quote Originally Posted by Will Sangster View Post
    Wonder what everyone's thoughts would be if we were to have a disastrous 2010 and finish bottom of the ladder??
    No problems - been there done that.

It's part of the process - just gotta tough it out.

Those who followed South Melbourne would remember the hard times.
    sprite

Here's a tip....round 22 2010, doesn't matter who or where we are playing, put $50 on the swans to win by 10 goals or more. There is nothing in life more certain than this.

Senior Player
    One other poster has said it but I'll say it again. From a match day perspective at the very least, Longmire has been running the show for the last 1 and half years.All Roos has done on the boundary is relay the status of the players on the bench, throw a few suggestions up to the box, and do the pep talks at the breaks. Not to mention pre-season.

Although initially I had second thoughts the more I think about it, it is the right way to go. You could think that the assistants through the box for the last 3 years have all been the candidates and at the end of the day, Longmire has stood up above the rest to take the spot. Probably a better process at the end of the day than selection by Powerpoint.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by johnno View Post
    Here's a tip....round 22 2010, doesn't matter who or where we are playing, put $50 on the swans to win by 10 goals or more. There is nothing in life more certain than this.
    But Roos will still have another 3-4 games left to coach...

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast