Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

Thread: Changes - Round 10 vs. Gold Coast Suns

Quote Originally Posted by RogueSwan View Post
    I don't know if last nights game really helps us. The Tiggers finding form doesn't bode well for us as they have been a bit of a bogey team for us over the last few years, and we have to play them in three games.
    I have an interesting view of last nights game that not everyone will share. If the Swans don't win the GF this year Freo and Tigers are my preferred teams to do so as it would be Freo's first ever and the Tigers since before Adam was a boy.

Freo's defence was badly exposed last night. They have some massive problems back there. Not to mention their ageing primary ruck and forward. I really think this is their last chance to challenge for the flag.

Quote Originally Posted by Ampersand View Post
    Freo's defence was badly exposed last night. They have some massive problems back there. Not to mention their ageing primary ruck and forward. I really think this is their last chance to challenge for the flag.
    Unfortunately Sanderlands is getting older, but not shorter

Sandilands was so dominant at the ruck contests, yet it had little impact on the scoreboard. Freo also were well ahead on contested possessions and tackles. What Richmond did successfully was getting men open and hitting them with good kicking. It was a bit Hawthorn like. Good skills and teamwork trump just about everything else. I was surprised how easily the Richmond players were able to run off their opponents and get into space. The game shows how an unbeatable team on Friday morning can become very beatable by Saturday morning.

Sandilands gave the ball to Fyfe on a silver platter countless times last night with some of the best tap ruck work you'll see. In close, put into space, in front, behind. If a ruckman is capable of doing that, he doesn't have to get a single kick to be influential IMO. Pykey should be watching that tape.

Quote Originally Posted by Melbourne_Blood View Post
    Sandilands gave the ball to Fyfe on a silver platter countless times last night with some of the best tap ruck work you'll see. In close, put into space, in front, behind. If a ruckman is capable of doing that, he doesn't have to get a single kick to be influential IMO. Pykey should be watching that tape.
    He can watch the tape all he wants, but he'll never grow tall enough to complete the task.

Maric and Pyke are about the same size and both are very strong. Although Maric was outplayed in the ruck contests he made a good contribution in general play. What Pyke needs to do is to recapture his 2013 form when he was taking lots of marks, especially contested marks. He's averaging 1.3 marks a game this year compared to 3.6 in 2013. He kicked 28 goals in 2013 and only 1 so far this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    He can watch the tape all he wants, but he'll never grow tall enough to complete the task.

Maric and Pyke are about the same size and both are very strong. Although Maric was outplayed in the ruck contests he made a good contribution in general play. What Pyke needs to do is to recapture his 2013 form when he was taking lots of marks, especially contested marks. He's averaging 1.3 marks a game this year compared to 3.6 in 2013. He kicked 28 goals in 2013 and only 1 so far this year.
    That's true but he gets his hand on the ball often enough ( he regularly win the hit outs) and then taps it to nobody. If he improved his taps to advantage his lack of contribution In the areas you highlighted would be less glaring. Also he kicked 30 goals as a second ruck / forward, in a Buddy-less side. He is now the number 1 ruckman, in a side with Buddy. His no.1 Job is rucking. I would like to see him clunk more grabs around the ground though..

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Freo lost Michael Johnson in the first ten minutes or thereabouts. How would Richmond have gone if they had lost Rance while Freo kept Johnson? And how would we go if we lost Teddy in the same way?

Granted, Richmond played very good football and just about everything they tried came off, while Freo struggled to pick up the ball. But it is undoubtedly a warning, to us and anyone else.

And I'm confident Mike will produce the goods when needed; he's a very close student of the game and absorbs info like a sponge.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

The Tigers were up by 30 or thereabouts by the time Johnson went off so it kind of not relevant.

At this stage Rance is a way better defender than Johnson anyway, who's body is clearly shot.

Veterans List
    Just heard on ABC Grandstand radio that Robinson is the sub today. Little disappointed.

Warming the Bench
    On holidays in the NT and we cannot get the satellite going. Thanks Channel 7 for putting on an obscure movie on the main channel, and SWAMP PEOPLE on Mate. Not happy!!!!!

Ch 7 was afraid that people might boo too much at their TV sets.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast