Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Changes Round 14 v Carlton

Quote Originally Posted by Melbournehammer View Post
    what is soft is coming on a website anonymously and labelling players duds. The game should be noted for what it was. Armstrong was willing to take the ball and turned it over. smith didnt want it, but was just as fumbly as anyone on the day.

i am not saying smith is soft. he is a very very good defender. but he doesnt often want the ball and his delivery at times is awful. but he gets it less than others so it isnt as obvious as reg.

i am just sick of people bagging players, particularly in the games where people would struggle to find ANY winners on the day. To then turn around and bag individuals I have come to realise is pathetic.

The bigger question is what went wrong and what can you do about this ? We can always blame jesse white and armstrong and whoever the last on first off is that we want.

but longmire was right i think - the problem was downfield and it was the midfield which was absolutely putrid. we couldnt clear the ball all day, lobbe beat pyke comprehensively on the day, and we were beaten on both the inside and outside. there was very little run other than from jack.

lest it be thought it was only our midfielders the forwards and coaches got beaten. the half forward line of white, mcglynn and bolton was terrible and as we were chasing the game in the last quarter the stupid structural system of tippett and white on the wing with the half forwards back inside fifty meant that we kicked it long and the ball rebounded so quickly. so coaching deserves some criticism for the strategy when we were in trouble.

equally, none of the defenders deserves a pat on the back. they trailed their men, dropped marks, fell off tackles, kept handpassing backwards to persons in worse positions and failed to shepherd at all effectively when doing so. we couldnt clear it, couldnt kick it couldnt hand pass it and couldnt mark it. And it was across the board. we looked slow, and port looked like from the second quarter onwards that they thought they really could win it and we ceased looking like we thought we would win in the third quarter - and we didnt really have anyone step into the breach.

it reminded me of the north loss when we conceded was it ten goals in the final quarter. we stopped looking like we knew how to win and knew how to use the ball or even to get it. we would have been out of the game at three quarter time if we hadnt been kicking with the breeze and each port player missed from 40 metres out having marked inside fifty.

it was a bad game all round. stop bagging the weaker players.
    Perfect summation of the game in my opinion. I am not one to bag Longmire but he was as much to blame as the (very weak) players. Hinkley coached his side brilliantly and after quarter time had all the answers and it appeared to me after punishing myself and watching it twice, that Longmire was of the "she'll be right" mind set and just assumed we would wear them down.

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    Goodes out of this game. "hopefully" one week.

On the veteran's list
    Quote Originally Posted by ugg View Post
    Goodes out of this game. "hopefully" one week.
    Credible source?
    Those who have the greatest power to hurt us are those we love.

Ugg generally gets it right.....he's a credible source himself!
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect... MT

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar

We might as well give Adam the next 3 weeks off. No need to play him against the Dees and Giants.

We are a bit lucky that our injury list is slightly balanced out vs Carton due to the loss of Marc Murphy. It will be the 2nd week in a row that we play against a team without their captain, hopefully not with the same result.

Assuming Reid & Jetta still not right.

In - Everitt (Membrey if Everitt not fit)

Out - Goodes

Lamb to get a full gig, & Armstrong as the sub.
    White survives only due to the lack of Mummy/LRT, and Tippett still requiring match fitness.
    If Armstrong gets the chop, would like to see Towers while Shaw is still out.
    Last edited by Chookbilly; 24th June 2013 at 04:28 PM. Reason: adding to post
    Ed Considine's day out - Round 3, 16th April 1995.
    11 Kicks, 13 Handballs, 8 Marks, 1 Goal, 1 Behind, 1 Tackle, 1 Hitout, 3 Brownlow votes (his only votes)
    Ed = God

longmire said reid and jetta WILL NOT play and everitt MIGHT come back. this was right at the end of the press conference. looks like a new kid will get an opportunity this week

Funny what a big inclusion Dre would be. Who would have thought?

Fair chance Membrey will come in for Goodes. IF Everritt doesn't get up, I hope the selection committee look at Towers for a bit of run and dash out of the backline. If anyone is a perfect replacement of Marty, it's Towers. Even looks like Marty. In - Membrey & Everritt/Towers. Out - Goodes & Armstrong.

Suggest Goodes will be out for 4-5 weeks with PCL injury. The Swans medico's are a conservative lot at this time of year.

These injuries have got to stop! It's getting to 1997 and 2004 levels....

What's most concerning is Jetta. Shin soreness that has now become a four week injury. That's a lot of soreness in a very skinny shin! What's going on there...?

On the veteran's list
    Quote Originally Posted by Cressakel2 View Post
    What's most concerning is Jetta. Shin soreness that has now become a four week injury. That's a lot of soreness in a very skinny shin! What's going on there...?
    I suspect Jetta has been carrying this all year. Explains his lack of run in early games.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Cressakel2 View Post
    I suspect Jetta has been carrying this all year. Explains his lack of run in early games.
    Those who have the greatest power to hurt us are those we love.

Just wild about Harry
    How is this for a team?
    XXX LRT XXX
    Shaw Johnson Mattner
    Jetta Rohan Everitt
    XXX Reid XXX
    XXX Walsh XXX
    Followers - Mumford, Goodes, XXX

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast