Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast

Thread: Changes for Rnd 10 V Hawthorn.

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    I think all clubs can elevate a rookie at the midpoint of the season, even those who have a full contingent of 40 on their senior list.

Certainly, we could have nominated two at the start of the year given we have just 38 players on the senior list. But I can't recall the club doing this for ages (maybe Bevan?) and I think you're right about salary cap consequences. That's why I am not quite sure what the cap consequences are for the rookie nominated midway through the season.
    Even if they update Melican mid-year, which I assume they will, if they start playing AJ does that mean there won't be any way the other rookies can play?

If our game is built around pressure on the man then don't see AA coming in yet unless he has got fitter and learnt how to play close to his man while he has been back in the Ressies - he'll get there soon with more game time

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    I think all clubs can elevate a rookie at the midpoint of the season, even those who have a full contingent of 40 on their senior list.

Certainly, we could have nominated two at the start of the year given we have just 38 players on the senior list. But I can't recall the club doing this for ages (maybe Bevan?) and I think you're right about salary cap consequences. That's why I am not quite sure what the cap consequences are for the rookie nominated midway through the season.
    Thanks Liz, I'm surprised that a club can elevate a rookie mid-season if they already have a senior list of 40. But as I said before I find this part of the AFL Rules ambiguous. The sections relevant to nominated rookies are 10.16 in regard to before the season commences (which is where it refers to the need to have list space) and 10.17 in regard to mid-season (and I now see that the list size is not mentioned in this section). However the need for cap space is made clear - see below.

10.17 Nominated Rookies � Mid Season
    (a) Clubs may nominate Rookies
    (i) A Club may nominate one Player from its Rookie List as being available for selection by the Club for Home and Away and Finals Series Matches at any time after the conclusion of Round 11 before 2.00pm on the Tuesday after the last round of Home and Away Matches by lodging with the AFL the form prescribed in Schedule 1 as Form 36.
    (ii) This right of a Club to nominate a Rookie Player under this Rule is subject to the Club demonstrating to the satisfaction of the Investigations Manager that it can accommodate within its Total Player Payments Football Payments which must be paid to the Rookie Player as prescribed in Rule 10.17(b).
    (b) Payments and Total Player Payments
    (i) A Rookie Player nominated by a Club under this Rule 10.17 must be paid pro-rata no less than the amounts payable to a 1st year, third round draft choice selection for the period of time they are nominated.
    (ii) Any amount paid to a Rookie Player nominated under this Rule in excess of the base payment payable to a 1st year, third round draft choice selection shall be included in the Club�s Total Player Payments.

Quote Originally Posted by wolftone57 View Post
    Ok so you would drop Sinclair 25 HO, 17 Disposals, 5 marks and leave Tippett in as our first ruck who got 8 HO, 12 Disposals and 4 marks. Right you are, just watch us get flogged in the ruck.Longer got 37 HO but spent about 70% of the time on ball. Sinclair got 25 playing 55% on ball. I think Sinclair was very good and gave us much more than Tippett last week. yes Tippett kicked a goal but it was Sinclair's second efforts that opened play many times.good on Callum for stepping up, it is amazing what a bit of confidence can do for players like Callum and Deano. I wouldn't change the rucks this week.

To Aliir or not to Aliir that is the question? The problem in bringing Aliir in is how do we balance the side and is this necessarily going to make us faster in the areas we need speed. Dawson the same problem. Then again we could play a different game style v Hawks and have the taller players intercepting and taking marks then running off dishing the ball to Newman & Lloyd. If Dawson he could be that extra tall mid. But then again we could retain the speed and bring in either Fox or Florent. I think we could stretch Hawks in this area but then again we could stretch them with height in bringing Aliir or Dawson in.

Decisions, decisions, decisions, if only one didn't have to make decisions. I'm glad it's not me making the call, good onya selection committee.
    I don't think we should compare Sinclair against Tippett based on one game's performance. I do think Sinclair has improved this year, but he's still mediocre in all aspects of his game. When he get the ball, everything slows down and grinds to a halt. Tippett has been in generally poor form since his hamstring injury last year, but he's easily our best ruckman when in form. We were getting crushed in the clearances in the first half when Sinclair spent most of his time in the ruck, was winning the hitouts, but the Saints were sharking them consistently. Hitouts is a meaningless stat.

We are out of step with the rest of the league in playing 2 lumbering ruckmen. Tippett is more than enough to devote to the position. He is quite capable of getting 35 hitouts and kicking a couple of goals a game on his own and by all right, that's what his output ought to be. It's not that far fetched, because he was producing that in the first half of last season.

The way I see it, Sinclair goes out for Aliir. We gain a dynamic strong marking, rebounding tall defender, move a good midfielder, like Mills into the midfield and lose a player that doesn't add much of anything to the side. This one change would be the most positive move we can make to improve the team.

melican reg and smith are more than enough lockdown tight defenders

we need ramps alir to intercept
    as great as ramps is he is far better when he isnt playing tight on a defender

Melican has given us the luxury to have 2 guys intecepting and running off in ramps and alir

like the fwd line all finally playing together tippo buddy reid
    we need to play ramps and alir together with reg and melican so they can play with more freedom

Veterans List
    No K Jack this week, ruled out by Longmire last night, needs more conditioning, seems no NEAFL run either.

Out Cunningham, In Florent

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post
    No K Jack this week, ruled out by Longmire last night, needs more conditioning, seems no NEAFL run either.

Out Cunningham, In Florent
    Those 2 don't go together. Still not recovered i reckon.

Quote Originally Posted by magic.merkin View Post
    Those 2 don't go together. Still not recovered i reckon.
    I would suggest he just needs a few more hard sessions. No point risking him through the NEAFL if he is ready.

If we did have a game next week in the NEAFL, which we don't, I suspect he ma have gotten half a game. As this is not an option I expect to see him against the Bulldogs in a fortnight

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    I don't think we should compare Sinclair against Tippett based on one game's performance. I do think Sinclair has improved this year, but he's still mediocre in all aspects of his game. When he get the ball, everything slows down and grinds to a halt. Tippett has been in generally poor form since his hamstring injury last year, but he's easily our best ruckman when in form. We were getting crushed in the clearances in the first half when Sinclair spent most of his time in the ruck, was winning the hitouts, but the Saints were sharking them consistently. Hitouts is a meaningless stat.

We are out of step with the rest of the league in playing 2 lumbering ruckmen. Tippett is more than enough to devote to the position. He is quite capable of getting 35 hitouts and kicking a couple of goals a game on his own and by all right, that's what his output ought to be. It's not that far fetched, because he was producing that in the first half of last season.

The way I see it, Sinclair goes out for Aliir. We gain a dynamic strong marking, rebounding tall defender, move a good midfielder, like Mills into the midfield and lose a player that doesn't add much of anything to the side. This one change would be the most positive move we can make to improve the team.
    Allir of last year is a gun and he will get back at some stage. Defence was excellent last week as a unit. Mills was outstanding and his quick penetrating kicking is a big asset coming out of the backline. Leave him there again this season. Florent or Dawson for Cunningham. Probably Florentine because he is quicker.

Veterans List
    Titus O'Rielly's view of Friday night game.......GOLD! :

"Sydney v Hawthorn (SCG) 7.50pm

It�s been awhile since this wasn�t a top eight clash. Instead, this year we get 12th taking on 17th.

For Sydney, it�s 12th with a bullet, as they are now playing somewhere near what we all expected pre-season.

If they can get a win here, they�ll be flying with a spectacular record of 4-6! That could be enough to clinch a finals spot this season. If the AFL had its way, everyone would get the chance to play finals each year.

I think this wildcard thing is nonsense. Why don�t the AFL just let the Pies pay to be in the finals? In fact, paying to play in the finals would be the purist AFL policy ever. More teams, more cash.

Hawthorn still have Jaeger O'Meara�s return listed as �indefinite� but to be fair, there was no prior history of him having injury problems, so you can�t criticise the Hawks� list management for not seeing this coming.

Plus, they didn�t give up much to get him either, so no harm was done.

Hawthorn�s biggest structural problem this year is sending only Tom Mitchell out to play.

The onballer is playing against his old side this week, and he is probably hoping his new teammates decided to join him out on the ground this time. Currently, Mitchell is the council worker you see digging the ditch while 17 people �supervise� him.

Sydney to win this one." Like I said....Gold!

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    Titus O'Rielly's view of Friday night game.......GOLD! :

"Sydney v Hawthorn (SCG) 7.50pm

It�s been awhile since this wasn�t a top eight clash. Instead, this year we get 12th taking on 17th.

For Sydney, it�s 12th with a bullet, as they are now playing somewhere near what we all expected pre-season.

If they can get a win here, they�ll be flying with a spectacular record of 4-6! That could be enough to clinch a finals spot this season. If the AFL had its way, everyone would get the chance to play finals each year.

I think this wildcard thing is nonsense. Why don�t the AFL just let the Pies pay to be in the finals? In fact, paying to play in the finals would be the purist AFL policy ever. More teams, more cash.

Hawthorn still have Jaeger O'Meara�s return listed as �indefinite� but to be fair, there was no prior history of him having injury problems, so you can�t criticise the Hawks� list management for not seeing this coming.

Plus, they didn�t give up much to get him either, so no harm was done.

Hawthorn�s biggest structural problem this year is sending only Tom Mitchell out to play.

The onballer is playing against his old side this week, and he is probably hoping his new teammates decided to join him out on the ground this time. Currently, Mitchell is the council worker you see digging the ditch while 17 people �supervise� him.

Sydney to win this one." Like I said....Gold!
    Great work...specially re O'Meara.

Hawthorn have upgraded a rookie - pick 49 in last year's draft. Apparently an inside mid to 'help' Mitchell

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast