Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: RWO Game Day Thread - Round 3 - April 16-17

Quote Originally Posted by Luke Shannon View Post
    I think it's extremely dissapointing that St George did not provide a boundary umpire for the 4th division clash against the Bats.

According to the match report I read there were games on before and after the 4th division clash at Olds park. Was it impossible for a player who was playing later in the day or who had played earlier not to help out on the boundary for a quarter or a half?

By not providing a boundary umpire on your home ground while other grades were playing shows that your 4th division team is a low priority at your club. It was a hot day and you as a club were happy to see lumbering old players in many cases have the added duty of throwing the ball in.

I'm sure players in your division one and premier division side were happy to hang up on that elevated hill, in their tight polo shirts, schmoozing the crowd while their division four mates suffered in the heat.

It comes down to "culture" and it was lacking at Olds Park for that 4th division clash. In a tight two goal game it could have made a difference to the result due to the extra energy needed to throw the ball in and the impact on set ups.
    Shame you couldn't be there to offer a hand!

They have a couple u/19's games at Olds this week ... I'm sure they could learn a thing or two about "culture" from a blow in like you, might even be able to recruit a few young blokes if they see the light! You crack me up

Regular in the Side
    I distinctly recall a game at Trumper a few years ago now where no boundary umpires were supplied and the scoreboard remained unattended for the first half of the game. Meanwhile a beer swelling mob of at least 30 UTS players and supporters from the previous game took up a position on the boundary fence.

I wouldn't be throwing stones just quietly.

Quote Originally Posted by Coastal Boy View Post
    I distinctly recall a game at Trumper a few years ago now where no boundary umpires were supplied and the scoreboard remained unattended for the first half of the game. Meanwhile a beer swelling mob of at least 30 UTS players and supporters from the previous game took up a position on the boundary fence.

I wouldn't be throwing stones just quietly.
    If that's the case then it's not good enough. With voluntarism there are always givers (people who always do duties when asked) and takers (people who avoid doing duties). A strict enforcement of a roster system is probably the best way.

Regular in the Side
    Quote Originally Posted by Luke Shannon View Post
    If that's the case then it's not good enough. With voluntarism there are always givers (people who always do duties when asked) and takers (people who avoid doing duties). A strict enforcement of a roster system is probably the best way.
    I find your attitude here refreshing. Most people jump into defence mode and start throwing grenades.
    It sounds like things are much better at UTS these days.
    When I was manager of a lower div team I was adamant that we were supplying boundary umps etc to all home games... and we did to every one.
    I think it shows a good club culture and the importance cannot be underestimated.
    When I stood back from my role the attitude quickly changed to "if the league doesn't absolutely require it why should we bother".
    I understand it can be difficult at times but I did not like the defeatist attitude.

Many clubs when they first introduce extra lower grade teams have support difficulties.
    You have to remember that many of the helpers from previous years are often players in the new team. So they need to find helpers not only for the new team but higher grades as well. Teams like ECE and Norths struggled early with their new team.
    I think people are being a little harsh on St George. Give them a year to settle in and then we can put the boot in.

Yeh, going from 3 teams to 5 over night has certainly stretched resources.

So I have it on very good authority that during the Div 2 thumping of UTS at the hands of Manly at Trumper on Saturday, that NO boundary umpires were supplied by UTS, despite at least 50 players and supporters in green and black watching on the fence line.

Were you there Luke, or too early to drag yourself away from your dirty hippie chai?

popcorn.gif

Quote Originally Posted by Pekay View Post
    So I have it on very good authority that during the Div 2 thumping of UTS at the hands of Manly at Trumper on Saturday, that NO boundary umpires were supplied by UTS, despite at least 50 players and supporters in green and black watching on the fence line.

Were you there Luke, or too early to drag yourself away from your dirty hippie chai?
    A 20 point defeat is hardly a thumping. Pekay, you're exaggerating.

If no boundary umpire was provided by the Bats then it's disappointing. The great part about this thread is that we have "shone the blowtorch" at the issue of voluntarism in the Sydney AFL scene. Hofefully all clubs (Bats included) can lift there game in the coming rounds.

As for "dirty hippie chai", Pekay that commentary in unbecoming for a man of your regard.

Quote Originally Posted by Pekay View Post
    As someone who was there... UTS supplied both boundary umpires in the 1st half & one in the 2nd half (when the girls team started to get ready). There wasn't 50 players on the sideline - maybe 10 in the 2nd half, all of whom were setting up for the big day. Yeah, they should have had a 2nd boundary umpire, but the umpires handled it well and just threw the ball up around 10 metres in from the boundary (which in the 50 is pretty much straight in front of goal).

20 points on Trumper equates to 60 on a standard size ground. Its science.

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

Regular in the Side
    Science you say. Do elaborate

Quote Originally Posted by Hamstrings77 View Post
    I heard last year that if the umpires were using ball ups instead of throw ins, the away captain could challenge the decision at quarter time and the umpires would have to revert to the home team throwing it in. I could be completely wrong with this one though.
    Lauren has been reading the forums....

� For Premier Division, Division 1, Division 2, U19s Division 1 and Women�s Premiers Division, the home club is required to supply 2 boundary umpires where the league is unable to appoint them � if boundary umpires cannot be supplied by the home club, it is the home teams responsibility to throw the ball in (i.e. a player from the home team on the field must do this). It is expected that the home club will provide boundary umpires unless there are exceptional circumstances preventing them from sourcing people to fill these positions.

� For Division Three, Four and Five, Women�s Division One and Under 19�s Division Two, the home club must supply 2 boundary umpires where the league is unable to appointment them - if boundary umpires cannot be supplied by the home club the field umpire will have a ball up 10 metres from the boundary line where the ball left the field of play. The field umpires should only be doing a ball up if no boundary umpires can be supplied

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast