Page 16 of 22 FirstFirst ... 6121314151617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: Changes for round 1 - Syd vs Port

Quote Originally Posted by swansrob View Post
    I think Rose shot himself in the foot by kicking three goals in a quarter on debut. Anything less now looks sub-par
    Rose was not convincing in any of his outings since that game. His tackles are broken and he seems to get out-positioned easily. The problem is that others are moving past him. Paps last year, most likely Florent this year and possibly even Hayward. If he plays the tall flanker he has to compete with Dawson, who has a huge bag of tricks when he is fit and tackles very well, Towers, Rohan & Cunningham. I'm not sure his game style is sustainable at AFL level. He's flashy and inconsistent. The only way he will make it is if he suddenly develops some consistency.

Parker mentioned in today's presser "A few new debutantes" this week. He later mentions Fox, Hayward and Florent. He also said KJ would be playing this week.

Veterans List
    Florent yes, is clever and tough, deserves to debut given the gaps in our team.

What about Melican, has looked very good in his last four games and after two years hard graft deserves a senior gig although its probably between him and Laidler who was solid in the ressies last week.

Fox & Hayward look a long way off to me. Hayward does the occasional nice thing but no where near debut standard IMO.

It's looking more likely than not that both Aliir and KJ will be playing this Saturday. We'll be taking a pretty good side into the match, albeit not quite our best 22.

Tom Harley now has his injury update video up on the Swans website. Whether or not Cameron was in the mix is now a moot point as he is out with an infected finger .

There are a couple of other positives on the injury front with Heeney back in training. I hope he's available for our round 3 match v Collingwood. Papley is listed as 2-3 weeks on the AFL injury list, so the rumours about a long delay in his recovery are yet to be confirmed and perhaps he too will be available to play senior footy by the end of April.

I hope we select both Melican and Florent.

Veterans List
    Cameron, infected finger eh - playing with his Boxer dog?

Gotta love the Pies, manage home grown distractions at the start of every season!

I say stick with Florent in the mix for now in the 22

Quote Originally Posted by Auntie.Gerald View Post
    I say stick with Florent in the mix for now in the 22
    I'm sure Florent will be in the mix for the first few rounds. I've liked some of what I've seen in pre-season from him, but he has been raw around the edges. But who are we to doubt the coaches - rarely do they pick a player who they don't think can take the step up, and there is no doubting the talent of Florent from his junior footy.
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    I hope we select both Melican and Florent.
    Me too...Going on pre season form, they would seem to be to most likely.

So with those 2 in, my guess for the R1 squad would be...

FB :Smith Grundy Marsh

HB : Mills Aliir Rampe

C : Hannebery Jones Lloyd

HF : Franklin Reid Hewett

FF : Jack Tippett Florent

FOL : Naismith Kennedy Parker

INT : Sinclair, Robinson, Cunningham, Melican

EMG : Towers Laidler Foote
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect... MT

Quote Originally Posted by ernie koala View Post
    Me too...Going on pre season form, they would seem to be to most likely.

So with those 2 in, my guess for the R1 squad would be...

FB :Smith Grundy Marsh

HB : Mills Aliir Rampe

C : Hannebery Jones Lloyd

HF : Franklin Reid Hewett

FF : Jack Tippett Florent

FOL : Naismith Kennedy Parker

INT : Sinclair, Robinson, Cunningham, Melican

EMG : Towers Laidler Foote
    Like this a lot. Wouldn't mind seeing Cunningham out, also there is no way Sinclair plays. Towers in for Sinclair.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post
    Florent yes, is clever and tough, deserves to debut given the gaps in our team.

What about Melican, has looked very good in his last four games and after two years hard graft deserves a senior gig although its probably between him and Laidler who was solid in the ressies last week.

Fox & Hayward look a long way off to me. Hayward does the occasional nice thing but no where near debut standard IMO.
    Agreed, Fox in particular had little impact in the pre-season games I saw - I'd be shocked to see him out there on Sat.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ugg View Post
    He played the first one. The fact he played that one and none of the others suggests he's way down the pecking order at the moment
    It's quite a fall from grace. If he and Sinclair are playing ressies that's a bunch of our salary cap in the magoos.

The latest injury list is encouraging as most are not far off returning. At least Heeney now has a time frame and Papley could be ready for the 1st NEAFL game. Rohan said he is expecting to return to senior footy around round 8. If KJ is good to go, I think we can cover the rest. Heeney is the next one we need to get back playing. It would be nice if he's up and going for the Eagles game in round 4 followed by the Giants. Those will be a couple of very tough games back to back and we go to Perth coming off only a 6 day rest, but to be fair, WC only have a 5 day rest, but now travel. We have a few 2nd and 3rd year players, mainly Melican, Dawson, Newman and COL that seem ready for an AFL debut and this period may offer an opportunity for them to get a game or two.

Last edited by Ludwig; 22nd March 2017 at 12:12 PM.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    The latest injury list is encouraging as most are not far off returning. At least Heeney now has a time frame and Papley could be ready for the 1st NEAFL game. Rohan said he is expecting to return to senior footy around round 8. If KJ is good to go, I think we can cover the rest. Heeney is the next one we need to get back playing. It would be nice if he's up and going for the Eagles game in round 4 followed by the Giants. Those will be a couple of very tough games back to back and we go to Perth coming off only a 6 day rest, but to be fair, WC only have a 5 day rest, but now travel. We have a few 2nd and 3rd year players, mainly Melican, Dawson, Newman and COL that seem ready for an AFL debut and this period may offer an opportunity for them to get a game or two.

So, is AJ not expected to return this year?