Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: RWO Game Day Thread - Round 1 - April 1-2

Almost Football Legend
    Don't know about the rest of them, but Monty Krochmal and Vicic were mainly playing Prems last year - may have played a few NEAFL games but wouldn't have been many. But when collating the weekly results for the RWO report (which I'm half-way through doing at the moment for this weekend's games), those names frequently came up in Premier Division last year.

Follow me on Twitter - @tealfooty

Who cares - R1 off a severely rain interrupted pre-season - will have little bearing on the finals make up ... if SU can field that side every week, they will win the flag by a lap ... they will miss the finals narrowly, of course. Pretty sure ECE lost an early game or two last year. In near perfect conditions at Olds, whilst Saints v Bombers was as tough and contested as any premier division game, and a thriller, the skill errors at times were more like a Div 5 practice match after a big Friday night (to be fair, 30+ minute quarters in the heat were probably a factor too)!

Almost Football Legend

Follow me on Twitter - @tealfooty

Warming the Bench
    Quote Originally Posted by justabaraker View Post
    It does seem a bit unfair doesn't it ? Their NEAFL-experienced players were

Mitch Thompson
    Vicic
    Clarke
    Kane Murphy
    Mitch Mahady
    Osborne
    Andrew Sierakowski
    Monty Krochmal
    Nick Foster

We can leave it to The Student to justify this and I think he would probably say they are all local products or else enrolled at the Uni and that makes them eligible for Prems.
    I suppose that, if Baulko is allowed to play all their ex-NEAFL players in Prems, then Sydney Uni has to be given some kind of concession too.
    Let me break down ECE's 22 for you from the weekend:
    4 players from other senior clubs - 3x Vlatko's and Ben Bourke. All are pre-NEAFL premiership players.
    2 recruits who arrived at the club during the NEAFL, one who left the club for two years and has just returned this year (Weekes) and one who came to the club during NEAFL era, but had not played a senior game previously (Turner)
    14 local juniors
    2 genuine, experienced NEAFL recruits who have remained at the club since their recruitment (Emery and Browning)

So two out of 22 who could be called genuine experienced NEAFL recruits. Hardly a stacked team as you suggest...

Quote Originally Posted by unconfuseme View Post
    Who cares - R1 off a severely rain interrupted pre-season - will have little bearing on the finals make up ... if SU can field that side every week, they will win the flag by a lap ... they will miss the finals narrowly, of course. Pretty sure ECE lost an early game or two last year. In near perfect conditions at Olds, whilst Saints v Bombers was as tough and contested as any premier division game, and a thriller, the skill errors at times were more like a Div 5 practice match after a big Friday night (to be fair, 30+ minute quarters in the heat were probably a factor too)!
    ECE lost one to us early last year in pretty similar circumstances. Had zero impact then, so wouldn't read much into this one, other than good signs for UNSW.

Pretty happy with our weekend. St G too good in the end. Lost Fyffe and Carruthers early and a couple of others no good. So not a bad effort away against a top 2 team.

Rapt with both new teams. Great wins, although we did fly players in from interstate - no wait...that was St George.

Warming the Bench
    Quote Originally Posted by Norris Lurker View Post
    Don't know about the rest of them, but Monty Krochmal and Vicic were mainly playing Prems last year - may have played a few NEAFL games but wouldn't have been many. But when collating the weekly results for the RWO report (which I'm half-way through doing at the moment for this weekend's games), those names frequently came up in Premier Division last year.
    Never let the truth get in the way of a good story Norris.

Regular in the Side
    Quote Originally Posted by The Student View Post
    There's also a dozen blokes that went back to other clubs so I'm not sure what we are supposed to do - probably a bit unlucky for Wests that our list has no injuries at the moment but I doubt you'll see a side that top heavy again. All of those guys have played PD at Uni previously - the only one who hadn't was Lucy and he only played because he'd been away for a chunk of the summer and they wanted him to play a couple in PD. The other thing is that the players dropped back hadn't trained once with the PD side all summer, so they were just making it up as they went along.
    I'll tell you what uni could have done. Send all of your non playing neafl list to all the clubs evenly.

Whether they have all played for uni previously at PD level is irrelevant to me. The fact they haven't trained with the PD side says it all. They have gained benefit from the NEAFL system either financially or otherwise.

The SydneyAFL should not be a reserve grade dumping ground.

Quote Originally Posted by bomber. View Post
    Rapt with both new teams. Great wins, although we did fly players in from interstate - no wait...that was St George.
    8/22 played in div 1 GF last year. So even with these supposedly fly in players, still 8 players who couldn't get a start in the prems GF team.

Oh and 6 of those 8 were in the 2014 u19s which someone was asking about pre season.

They already train three times a week at a separate venue with NEAFL - where would they get the time to train with the PD squad given that there hadn't yet been a game and therefore no selections had been made? Moving forward the unselected NEAFL players will train with their PD teammates once a week. Do you think that the Giants or Swans AFL listed players trained with their NEAFL top ups much in the pre-season? Or Souths in the NRL with the Norths NSW Cup players? Not comparing our little program to a professional setup but it's the same principle.

There are numerous recruiting rules in place to stop the hoarding of talent at a PD level. We are unable to play anyone from another club that played in 2016 for a start. We also aren't allowed to pay anyone in Prem Div which would be at odds with a number of other clubs I would've thought. If you think that having four or five players at each club not training and playing occasionally at a PD club would benefit either the NEAFL program at Uni or the Sydney AFL clubs themselves then you might want to explain that to the clubs who said that the mini draft system was a waste of time. Likewise, if you think Syd Uni (not the footy club but the actual university) should be endowing athletes with scholarships and as a rule rather than an exception they would play against the University then that seems a bit strange. Would be nice for the other clubs though I'm sure.

Let's say your brilliant idea is put into practice - someone like Monty Krochmal who has played at the club since 17 and has over 150 games to his name should be forced to go and play for say, Manly or Wests because he is on a NEAFL list? Seems fair!

Anyway it's not up to us to decide what we should do - we comply with what the AFL tell us to do. If they want a rep side with everyone going back to random clubs then they can run it and it will cost them half a million bucks a year at least. Maybe you should bring it up at the next meeting at Moore Park, see how you go. You could probably squeeze it in the five minute gap where they aren't talking about how pressed they are for resources.

Quote Originally Posted by Coastal Boy View Post
    I'll tell you what uni could have done. Send all of your non playing neafl list to all the clubs evenly.

Whether they have all played for uni previously at PD level is irrelevant to me. The fact they haven't trained with the PD side says it all. They have gained benefit from the NEAFL system either financially or otherwise.

The SydneyAFL should not be a reserve grade dumping ground.
    Last edited by The Student; 3rd April 2017 at 06:06 PM.

Anyway it's not up to us to decide what we should do - we comply with what the AFL tell us to do. If they want a rep side with everyone going back to random clubs then they can run it and it will cost them half a million bucks a year at least. Maybe you should bring it up at the next meeting at Moore Park, see how you go. You could probably squeeze it in the five minute gap where they aren't talking about how pressed they are for resources.
    Why would they? Its of no benefit to Sydney AFL or the clubs in it.

They already train three times a week at a separate venue with NEAFL - where would they get the time to train with the PD squad given that there hadn't yet been a game and therefore no selections had been made? Moving forward the unselected NEAFL players will train with their PD teammates once a week. Do you think that the Giants or Swans AFL listed players trained with their NEAFL top ups much in the pre-season? Or Souths in the NRL with the Norths NSW Cup players? Not comparing our little program to a professional setup but it's the same principle.

There are numerous recruiting rules in place to stop the hoarding of talent at a PD level. We are unable to play anyone from another club that played in 2016 for a start. We also aren't allowed to pay anyone in Prem Div which would be at odds with a number of other clubs I would've thought. If you think that having four or five players at each club not training and playing occasionally at a PD club would benefit either the NEAFL program at Uni or the Sydney AFL clubs themselves then you might want to explain that to the clubs who said that the mini draft system was a waste of time. Likewise, if you think Syd Uni (not the footy club but the actual university) should be endowing athletes with scholarships and as a rule rather than an exception they would play against the University then that seems a bit strange. Would be nice for the other clubs though I'm sure.

Let's say your brilliant idea is put into practice - someone like Monty Krochmal who has played at the club since 17 and has over 150 games to his name should be forced to go and play for say, Manly or Wests because he is on a NEAFL list? Seems fair!

It was fairly even for majority of the game, with Wests getting back in front mid 3rd qtr, but every time they got back into it, a silly indiscretion gave the momentum back to the student.

The 3 nights training obviously helped as the ran out the last qtr much better, definitely an advantage, but it looks like the Prems will be a whole lot closer this year.

Regular in the Side
    Student, my criticism is aimed at the system not SU. You asked the question what else could we do so I answered it.

SU would have been attracting players since the NEAFL began in 2011. That's 6 seasons ago. So anyone at your club before that is fine. Since that time, well, the prospect of playing at the NEAFL is a juicy carrot.

There is no easy solution. When the Swans played their reserves in the SydneyAFL they pulled out before the finals. I'm not suggesting this for SU for one second but I don't see it as a level playing field. Unfortunately that asterix next to any premiership win will be there.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast