Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 LastLast

Thread: Greatest ever Swan?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark26 View Post
    This is an intriguing thread and thanks to all for the history lesson this far. I just stumbled on this article from 2017 about South Melbourne's foundations on our website of all places! I'll post the link for anyone interested.
    Our history: South Melbourne foundations
    And so we have a new contender for greatest Swan, Peter Burns. Again, from the halcyon times when we ruled the VFA. 4 time premiership player, 3 time 'Champion of the Colony and first player to play 300 VFA/VFL games (over 21 seasons from his debut aged 16 in 1881), until his record was broken by Gordon Coventry in Coventry's final game: Peter Burns (footballer, born 1866) - Wikipedia. He was one of the AFL's inaugural Hall of Famers and has Legend status within the Swans. While Burns played a substantial part of his career with other clubs (mostly Geelong) it seems all his premierships and at least two, probably three, of his 'Champion of the Colony' gongs were won while he played for us.

FWIW, in his recent interview with Callum Mills commemorating 25 years since his debut with the Swans, Mickey O opined that the best Swans he played with were Lockett, Goodes and Kelly, in that order, with Lockett a whisker in front of Goodes. I think he was rating them probably more as players than as Swans per se and, great a player as Goodes was, I think most of us would agree that Goodes comes behind Lockett as an all-time great player. Lockett is in the conversation for greatest player of all time. However, I wonder if when considering who is the greatest "Swan" more weight can be given to off-field achievements rather than strictly playing achievements in which case Goodes gave us and the wider public so much more. But that's a whole other conversation.
    All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated, and well supported in logic and argument than others. -Douglas Adams, author (11 Mar 1952-2001)

Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post
    FWIW, in his recent interview with Callum Mills commemorating 25 years since his debut with the Swans, Mickey O opined that the best Swans he played with were Lockett, Goodes and Kelly, in that order, with Lockett a whisker in front of Goodes. I think he was rating them probably more as players than as Swans per se and, great a player as Goodes was, I think most of us would agree that Goodes comes behind Lockett as an all-time great player. Lockett is in the conversation for greatest player of all time. However, I wonder if when considering who is the greatest "Swan" more weight can be given to off-field achievements rather than strictly playing achievements in which case Goodes gave us and the wider public so much more. But that's a whole other conversation.
    I think a lot of people forget how mobile Lockett was for how big he was. Playing in a SOO game against SA he was put in the ruck and played a very good game.

In his early years at St Kilda he would have played most likely in similar roles to what Goodes played in if playing in the same era.

In Jim Main's book " blood stained angels" he talks of Laurie Nash being a freak. He once raced a greyhound and a racehorse over a 100 meter track, for publicity. The greyhound won but he beat the racehorse. So i pick Laurie.

I just paid one of my occasional visits to the BF board. There I found this fabulous thread: https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/the-south-melbourne-sydney-swans-history-thread.1052234/. It starts off with some stuff which is quite supportive of Laurie Nash's claim to be the greatest ever. It goes on to offer all kinds of juicy tidbits about our club's history, including especially the KSAS/Sydney schism in the club before our relocation. Wonderful stuff for those of you who appreciate a bit of history.
    All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated, and well supported in logic and argument than others. -Douglas Adams, author (11 Mar 1952-2001)

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Blood Relative View Post
    In Jim Main's book " blood stained angels" he talks of Laurie Nash being a freak. He once raced a greyhound and a racehorse over a 100 meter track, for publicity. The greyhound won but he beat the racehorse. So i pick Laurie.
    How old was the racehorse- 32?

Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post
    I just paid one of my occasional visits to the BF board. There I found this fabulous thread: https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/the-south-melbourne-sydney-swans-history-thread.1052234/. It starts off with some stuff which is quite supportive of Laurie Nash's claim to be the greatest ever. It goes on to offer all kinds of juicy tidbits about our club's history, including especially the KSAS/Sydney schism in the club before our relocation. Wonderful stuff for those of you who appreciate a bit of history.
    Wonderful read! Thanks Bloodspirit. Found that Bob Pratt interview riveting. Sounds like he should've kicked quite a few more than 150 goals in 1934 going by his revealing claims with Nash that season and players taking bribes to play dead in 1934 GF. It was the height of the Great Depression so the temptation to earn an extra quid would've been there. I was disappointed when the VFL decided to name the leading goal kicking award after Coleman instead of Pratt. I recall the late Bob Davis praising Pratt over Coleman quite a few times, having seen them both play.

Veterans List
    My dad said that Nash was the best player he saw. Could play anywhere and rarely beaten. He said Jack Dyer was genuinely fearful of him.

It is a faded memory but I saw Skilton play a couple of times. The games were played as though they were on slo-mo, but Skilton moved in an arc around opposition players steps faster, skills exquisite and the ball delivered where he aimed it. His name is synonymous with the Swans. He is our 'Greatest Player'.
    Lockett, who I followed from his StKilda days right through to the finish with the Swans, was in a different league, different skillset but his career spans two clubs. He too like Goodsey he was blessed with a massive physique with skills to match and toughness. Kelly who was incredibly fast and skilful with the ball was all class.

I would be comfortable to say Skilton, Goodsey and Kelly were our greatest players with Lockett making it a foursome.
    "Give a man an airline and he will rob the people. Give a man a government and he will rob the world"

Quote Originally Posted by Nico View Post
    My dad said that Nash was the best player he saw. Could play anywhere and rarely beaten. He said Jack Dyer was genuinely fearful of him.
    Was your dad Laurie Nash? One of Nash’s favourite lines was saying he saw the “best ever” player in the mirror every morning when he shaved.

Quote Originally Posted by Blood Relative View Post
    I think Blood Stained Angels was actually written by Mark Branagan and Mike Lefebvre, not Jim Main

And another good book is “The Great Laurie Nash” by Ned Wallish which offers a detailed account of his footy and cricket exploits.

Quote Originally Posted by goswannies View Post
    I think Blood Stained Angels was actually written by Mark Branagan and Mike Lefebvre, not Jim Main

And another good book is “The Great Laurie Nash” by Ned Wallish which offers a detailed account of his footy and cricket exploits.
    Does anyone have a spare copy of Blood Stained Angels: the Rise & Fall of the Foreign Legion? I'd love to buy it from you if possible. PM me if you do. Cheer cheer.