Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: the best to play Sydney footy

Isn't that incredible. Shows how much undiscovered talent there may have been in Sydney footy. Matt (Sanford) Wheeler was a product of my junior club at Seven Hills, was playing at the Goannas when he was discovered by the Swans I think. How many more slipped through the cracks, especially a 6ft4in on baller that pinch hits in the ruck!

Does anybody remember how Nathan Lenton went, he came down from the bush to trial for the swans and ended up at Wests.

Quote Originally Posted by Pmcc2911 View Post
    Does anybody remember how Nathan Lenton went, he came down from the bush to trial for the swans and ended up at Wests.
    Someone ripped out the plumbing at Wagener during a heated incident following a match.
    Norris would bench me if I named names................

Quote Originally Posted by Pmcc2911 View Post
    Nathan could play, however some times his attention waned and he forgot about the ball.

Interesting that he and Salem are mentioned in the same thread.

Interesting thread. I was a league man until around 2000. I did some googling on Lenton and seems he had some fire in him. In 1994 in a finals match, copped a week for a dust up in the goalsquare, then it appears he thumped a Blues runner as well.

Records were $1 then - can't give them away now, and finals entry was $6.

Here is a link to the 1994 Semi's "Record"

http://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&rc...61725948,d.dGI

Quote Originally Posted by ShortHalfHead View Post
    Interesting thread. I was a league man until around 2000. I did some googling on Lenton and seems he had some fire in him. In 1994 in a finals match, copped a week for a dust up in the goalsquare, then it appears he thumped a Blues runner as well.

Records were $1 then - can't give them away now, and finals entry was $6.

Noticed that Blacktown had an ordinary year in the SFA including a 534 point loss to Uni NSW.

Quote Originally Posted by justabaraker View Post
    You mention some memorable names Taxman.
    Bit surprised that you saw fit to mention John Ironmonger and Mark Eustice
    They probably only got a mention because they probably had blinders whenever I played against them & just assumed that was the norm by them. Nathan Lenton was a very, very good footballer (2 x premiership player & State rep) but not in the elite level as some of the others mentioned. His style of play - along with another ex-Wests player Tony Graham - was perhaps a tad too aggressive & probably to his detriment at times.

PS Coastal - great story about Mick Partridge, aka Les Norton. Cracker of a bloke too - his personality lit up both the Goannas & Magpies.

Oh wow, how good is it to read that old Record ! Brings back memories of Saturday mornings listening to the SFL footy show with Simon Kelly and Michael Byrne. Or Helen Meyer and Michael Clift on the south-side equivalent.
    I seem to recall that the Record had a proper/serious editor in those days - you can tell by the passion and detail in the writing. Who was he ?
    Whoever he was, he declared Ruskuklic as the best forward seen in Sydney.

There was a corny, Melbourne, old-fashioned sort of romance about our footy in those days wasn't there. Finals at Campbelltown with Craig Davis's corporate marqee on the hill, or at Gore Hill...remember the year they put a roll of hession right around the perimeter fence to keep out the gate crashers ?
    I went to Campbelltown one year and I couldn't even get to stand at the boundary fence because the crowd was chokkers right around the ground.
    Last edited by justabaraker; 25th February 2014 at 06:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pekay View Post
    Isn't that incredible. Shows how much undiscovered talent there may have been in Sydney footy. Matt (Sanford) Wheeler was a product of my junior club at Seven Hills, was playing at the Goannas when he was discovered by the Swans I think. How many more slipped through the cracks, especially a 6ft4in on baller that pinch hits in the ruck!
    Pekay, some of us wonder what happened to YOUR invitation to try out with the Swans

Almost Football Legend
    Noticed that Blacktown had an ordinary year in the SFA including a 534 point loss to Uni NSW.
    Even though it wouldn't have been flat 22 minute quarters, a game where a team kicks 80 goals just seems mind-boggling to me.

SHH, that's a fascinating Record from 1994. Before my time in Sydney footy, but it was a very different setup then compared to what we see now.

Follow me on Twitter - @tealfooty

Kevin KayTee Taylor

They already had a surplus of full backs

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast