Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Great expectations

I just re-read a great, in-depth article about Heeney: Isaac Heeney and the art of the speccy. It's not fresh - from July last year - and I can't remember whether the link has been posted here before but in any case it is well worth re-reading if you have a little spare time. Wasn't sure where to post it and this thread seems the best since the article is, like Heeney, pretty optimistic in its tone.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post
    I just re-read a great, in-depth article about Heeney: Isaac Heeney and the art of the speccy. It's not fresh - from July last year - and I can't remember whether the link has been posted here before but in any case it is well worth re-reading if you have a little spare time. Wasn't sure where to post it and this thread seems the best since the article is, like Heeney, pretty optimistic in its tone.
    Good article.....his attitude says it all. It appears he was always destined for greatness.

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Thanks for resuscitating that article bloodspirit. I don't recall reading it at the time, and I think it might be the best article I've ever read on Heeney. He is already a crucial contributor, and if he can add the occasional avoidance of damage, there'll be no stopping him. To my mind he is obviously among the best three or four players we have and I think on the way to becoming a club legend. My eyes watered.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Veterans List
    A pretty reasonable and entertaining article. Reads a bit like he's channeling Titus O'Reilly throughout but overall, a fair assessment.

Still some trolls dont have their facts right on the roar article

The case for the cost of living allowance
    "be tough, only when it gets tough"

Quote Originally Posted by Auntie.Gerald View Post
    Still some trolls dont have their facts right on the roar article

The case for the cost of living allowance
    Ahh, I see that you also made the mistake, of reading the comments section of the above article. I was tempted to punish a couple of the contributors, but I thought; no, I have more productive ways to spend my time.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by dejavoodoo44 View Post
    Ahh, I see that you also made the mistake, of reading the comments section of the above article. I was tempted to punish a couple of the contributors, but I thought; no, I have more productive ways to spend my time.
    Not that I'd discourage anyone else from doing so.

I really hope 2020 will be the year that Heeney and Mills break out and become the superstars that we will build the next decade on. If not this year, they need to progress in such a way that it will happen in the next 1 to 2 years.

I feel the time has come for Heeney to settle in the midfield and become a really influential player for us, not just one that has flashes of brilliance for the highlights reel. We have enough youngsters coming through that can rotate through the forward line whereas our midfield needs to groom a new leader - Parker and especially Joey are not getting any younger.

Mills has made a home for himself in the backline and with some key retirements, I doubt that the playing commitee will play him in the midfield, at least in the short term. He is a steady, solid defender but it would be great if he has a higher ceiling than that.

If we are to threaten over the first half of the decade, these two will need to play a big part, given they are now coming into what should be their prime.

Agree totally on Heeney and Mills. George Hewitt is a player that has progressed nicely and is entering his prime. He needs to continue to build. I believe that he comes out of contract at the end of this season? Any news on him re-signing long time?

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Here's (an in my opinion mediocre and perhaps over-optimistic) season preview from The Roar: Sydney Swans 2020 preview: Finals on the agenda again.

I don't agree with the best 22 selected, in particular I think it is too tall and, disappointingly, it does not include either Dylan Stephens or Will Gould. The assessments of our lines (back/mids/forward) are decent but a bit simplistic. I did appreciate the illuminating stats about JPK and Parker. Contrary to the authors ideas about how our midfield will improve, I think the indications from Horse are that Heeney and Mills won't be spending more time in the midfield this year and they will continue to play similar roles for the time being. We will have to look for improved midfield performance elsewhere. [Florent. Maybe Dawson? Maybe Blakey. Maybe Hayward. Rowbottom, but still too soon to put pressure on him. Maybe Hewett but he might be nearing his best. Perhaps Lewis Taylor and/or Gray.] The talk of Buddy and Reid both playing every game and us making finals is all a bit too speculative for my liking.

The comments are worse. Outsiders underrate our list. I guess that's probably true for many clubs. Not that I mind, it's kind of good, and will make proving them wrong all the sweeter.

Here's (an in my opinion mediocre and perhaps over-optimistic) season preview from The Roar: Sydney Swans 2020 preview: Finals on the agenda again.

I don't agree with the best 22 selected, in particular I think it is too tall and, disappointingly, it does not include either Dylan Stephens or Will Gould. The assessments of our lines (back/mids/forward) are decent but a bit simplistic. I did appreciate the illuminating stats about JPK and Parker. Contrary to the authors ideas about how our midfield will improve, I think the indications from Horse are that Heeney and Mills won't be spending more time in the midfield this year and they will continue to play similar roles for the time being. We will have to look for improved midfield performance elsewhere. [Florent. Maybe Dawson? Maybe Blakey. Maybe Hayward. Rowbottom, but still too soon to put pressure on him. Maybe Hewett but he might be nearing his best. Perhaps Lewis Taylor and/or Gray.] The talk of Buddy and Reid both playing every game and us making finals is all a bit too speculative for my liking.

The comments are worse. Outsiders underrate our list. I guess that's probably true for many clubs. Not that I mind, it's kind of good, and will make proving them wrong all the sweeter.
    I stopped reading at 'called the umpire a little Boy.
    He had observed that people who did lie were, on the whole, more resourceful and ambitious and successful than people who did not lie.

Quote Originally Posted by Legs Akimbo View Post
    I stopped reading at 'called the umpire a little Boy.
    Exactly. Jarred with me too. If you're getting those details wrong, doesn't augur well.

Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 ... LastLast