Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 6121314151617 LastLast

Thread: Changes for Rnd 20 V Geelong

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Nico View Post
    Will be chilly at The Cattery. Friday night, Friday night traffic out of Melbourne and too hard to get tickets has me watching at home in warmth.
    Hell yeah. It's a PITA to get to at the best of times from the east of Melbourne. Friday night peak hour...... across the bottle neck bridge. Colder than last Fridays game. meh. I'm in front of the fire with some brews, fast food and tucked into bed at a reasonable hour. These 7.50pm games are rediculous. I didn't get home last week till closer to 11.30pm. Getting out of geelong and home will be well after midnight. That's pushing drowsy driver territory after a long working week :d.

Also the putrid behavior we experienced last time we went and were in the one swans bay and surrounded by drunk geelong wankers hurling insults and just being flogs in general to their captive audience isn't appealing. Maybe it's changed this was prior to the new stand at the southern end.

Quote Originally Posted by swansrob View Post
    Could be either him, Parker or Rampe
    I thought Parks was the official vice.
    Wild speculation, unsubstantiated rumours, silly jokes and opposition delight in another's failures is what makes an internet forum fun.
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones who let in the light.

Quote Originally Posted by AnnieH View Post
    I thought Parks was the official vice.
    Those three are co-vice captains. Parks is leading us tonight, though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by magic.merkin View Post
    Hell yeah. It's a PITA to get to at the best of times from the east of Melbourne. Friday night peak hour...... across the bottle neck bridge. Colder than last Fridays game. meh. I'm in front of the fire with some brews, fast food and tucked into bed at a reasonable hour. These 7.50pm games are rediculous. I didn't get home last week till closer to 11.30pm. Getting out of geelong and home will be well after midnight. That's pushing drowsy driver territory after a long working week :d.
    I have to agree with that. It was about 11:30 for me last week, too. From my home on the Mornington Peninsula, the maybe two hour drive into a cold stadium is unappealing, and the post-midnight return even less so. Still further for my football mate, so I too will watch in comfort.

How many years ago was it - at the SCG, to be sure, but against the Cats - that Buddy kicked a perfect pass to Tippo, over his head, forcing him to run into space and take the mark at full stretch? As I recall, he kicked the goal. I'm even more sure that we won that one by 100+ points. May it be the same tonight - Buddy, Tippo, and all the boys firing and a comfortable win. We can always hope!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    I've never been jealous of other clubs team lists, even if they were better than ours. But I am jealous of Clarkson being Hawthorn's coach and not ours.

Maybe Horse took too many head knocks in those days before concussion testing and it wiped out his ability to project into the future. He seems to be stuck in football antiquity and can't see his way out. He keeps returning to places he knows best, regardless of their value.

This graphic tells the story. Even with his great record, Longmire is still considered a 2nd rate coach by his peers.

Tells the story? Longmire's out-coached Scott consistently.

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    Half joking but wouldn't surprise if the one coach that voted Longmire in that poll was Chris Scott

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by ugg View Post
    Half joking but wouldn't surprise if the one coach that voted Longmire in that poll was Chris Scott
    It's interesting that lately we beat the cats, the cats beat the hawks and the hawks beat us.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Mel_C View Post
    It's interesting that lately we beat the cats, the cats beat the hawks and the hawks beat us.
    Whilst we've looked ordinary in the two Hawks games this year, with more injury luck should have won both.

The most satisfying thing about our Cats run is that we beat them thoroughly anywhere, Kardinia Park, MCG, SCG.

There were a few out there that criticised Longmire for his team selection, particularly in the ruck. I think it worked out OK.

I don't know whether Naismith's performance / injury v Hawks last week means Cautious Horse will stick with a 2 ruck setup or he'll go back to one?

Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    There were a few out there that criticised Longmire for his team selection, particularly in the ruck. I think it worked out OK.

I don't know whether Naismith's performance / injury v Hawks last week means Cautious Horse will stick with a 2 ruck setup or he'll go back to one?
    After watching the replay, I thought Sinkers was pretty good. His ruckwork, particularly in the 1st qtr. was quite good against an in form ruckman. He moves well around the ground and influences a lot of the play. He still has a lot of weaknesses to his game, but it's a very good sign that he's making some real improvement this year.

Tippett, who was my pregame choice for ruckman, was barely passable, but did got better as the game wore on. I don't know if he can get back to last year's form. He's got to clunk marks and kick goals to be a value to the team.

I wonder if Kennedy will replace one of our ruckmen or Towers will be dropped instead. I don't think our ruckmen are good enough to carry 2 in the side. I would replace 1 of them to find a spot for Aliir. We looked very good when Reid dropped back into defence and was repelling everything that came deep in defence. That's the kind of structure I imagine we'd have if Aliir were in the side (and just leave Reid as a forward all game).

We need to look ahead to playing Adelaide and thinking how we cover a side that plays 1 primary ruckman and 4 very good tall forwards in Walker Jenkins, McGovern and Lynch. Right now I see Mills playing on Lynch and don't like that matchup. Last year Aliir played on him and shut him out in the 1st half. We've got to get past them at some stage if we want to win a premiership this year and we should give Aliir the Freo game to give him an opportunity to adjust to the pace of AFL.

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    Ruck balance was interesting. Sinkers started the game in the ruck and in the first half was the main ruck. My estimate on the split is about 70-30.

However in the second half Tippett was clearly the main ruck until the last few minutes of the game when the result was well and truly beyond doubt.

Whether the change was tactical or otherwise remains to be seen

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    After watching the replay, I thought Sinkers was pretty good. His ruckwork, particularly in the 1st qtr. was quite good against an in form ruckman. He moves well around the ground and influences a lot of the play. He still has a lot of weaknesses to his game, but it's a very good sign that he's making some real improvement this year.

Tippett, who was my pregame choice for ruckman, was barely passable, but did got better as the game wore on. I don't know if he can get back to last year's form. He's got to clunk marks and kick goals to be a value to the team.

I wonder if Kennedy will replace one of our ruckmen or Towers will be dropped instead. I don't think our ruckmen are good enough to carry 2 in the side. I would replace 1 of them to find a spot for Aliir. We looked very good when Reid dropped back into defence and was repelling everything that came deep in defence. That's the kind of structure I imagine we'd have if Aliir were in the side (and just leave Reid as a forward all game).

We need to look ahead to playing Adelaide and thinking how we cover a side that plays 1 primary ruckman and 4 very good tall forwards in Walker Jenkins, McGovern and Lynch. Right now I see Mills playing on Lynch and don't like that matchup. Last year Aliir played on him and shut him out in the 1st half. We've got to get past them at some stage if we want to win a premiership this year.
    I am unsure if I am still on your 'to do' list. And I don't want to come across as sucking up. However, I totally agree with your take on this. The pity is there is no standout among Sinclair, Tippo and Towers at this stage that demands inclusion. They are all okay/reasonable on last night's performance. However reports thus far suggest AA has not done enough in recent NEAFL games to dislodge any one of them. Mind, it will be a surprise if Tippo can stay injury- free for much longer.
    Last edited by grarmy; 5th August 2017 at 01:21 PM. Reason: Punctuation