Page 34 of 452 FirstFirst ... 243031323334353637384484134 ... LastLast

Thread: 2020 trading, drafting and list management: players and personnel

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Nico View Post
    Don't need any fringe players clogging up the list. Why would we delist people like Thurlow only to pick up like for like. Clearly youth is the only way to.
    Ted Richards, Josh Kennedy and Shane Mumford were fringe players (up and comers) when targeted by the Swans.

Rhyce Shaw and Ben McGlynn were fringe players (established but no longer wanted by their clubs) when targeted by the Swans.

Tim Membrey and Toby Nankervis were fringe players when targeted by St Kilda and Richmond respectively.

Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    I think Collingwoods Mason Cox is a ruckman who could play forward, but because of Grundy, they play him as a forward almost all the time.

He rucking is a bit ordinary at the moment, but he is tall, and I think he would be worth a stab to become our main ruckman. His body is solid.
    Buckley and Eddie are going to realise soon enough that he cant hold down their forward spot, and he may come cheap.
    I think Mason could be a good pickup as a ruckman. Has the height and is just shy of 30. Anyone know his contract status?

Goes up to 11
    Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    Ted Richards, Josh Kennedy and Shane Mumford were fringe players (up and comers) when targeted by the Swans.

Rhyce Shaw and Ben McGlynn were fringe players (established but no longer wanted by their clubs) when targeted by the Swans.
    We all yearn for more recruiting success like that, but unfortunately there have been more misses than hits with the fringe players over the past few years. Have we lost our mojo in this area????

Ego alta, ergo ictus Ruck'n'Roll's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post

Tim Membrey and Toby Nankervis were fringe players when targeted by St Kilda and Richmond respectively.
    Quote Originally Posted by jono2707 View Post
    We all yearn for more recruiting success like that, but unfortunately there have been more misses than hits with the fringe players over the past few years. Have we lost our mojo in this area????
    There seems to be gradiations of fringe-ness

I looked and since our last premiership I could only find 3 players we've actually traded in: Lewis Taylor 48, Ryan Clarke 62, Jackson Thurlow 70 and Talia back in 2015 who I think was for an exchange of picks.
    So all were quite inexpensive and all had spent a minimum of 3 seasons at their previous clubs, they were perhaps already on the 'outer fringe' (borderline delisting) when we purchased them.

So it's not been an area of much activity.

Those recent acquisitions were also more inexpensive in terms of picks. Richards, Mumford and Kennedy* were all more expensive. More sort of 'inner fringe'
    Loose translation from the Latin is - I am tall, so I hit out.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark26 View Post
    I think Mason could be a good pickup as a ruckman. Has the height and is just shy of 30. Anyone know his contract status?
    Comes out of contract at the end of this year, and is an Australian citizen.

Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    Comes out of contract at the end of this year, and is an Australian citizen.
    I like the idea Baz. Let's have a coffee with KB and get him onto it.

we just gave Collingwood the equivalent of Cox in the form of Cameron - slow and lumbering but tall. I think the 2m Peter suggestion is a better one to follow

I'm free tomorrow at 12:30.
    Ive booked a table at Urban Cafe, Herb Elliot Avenue, Homebush.
    c u there.

Noah Balta and Mabior Chol of Richmond are 2 exciting young forward/ruckmen that have problems breaking into the side which includes 2 regular ruckmen in Nankervis and Soldo, as well as 2 elite key forwards. Balta seems next in line. Both are contracted through 2021, but perhaps one can be wrenched out of Richmond. I think Chol would be a good addition if Amartey doesn't show enough promise by year end.

Regular in the Side
    I would look at Sam Hayes at Port Adelaide who was rated the best young ruckman in his draft year. Port might not be keen though as they have let Ryder, Frampton and Howard go plus Westhoff is in his twilight years. Hayes is probably looked at as the successor to Ladhams. Had a knee injury but got back on the park last year. Has not played this year as COVID-19 has shut down the Port Adelaide magpies in the SANFL.

Quote Originally Posted by rb4x View Post
    I would look at Sam Hayes at Port Adelaide who was rated the best young ruckman in his draft year. Port might not be keen though as they have let Ryder, Frampton and Howard go plus Westhoff is in his twilight years. Hayes is probably looked at as the successor to Ladhams. Had a knee injury but got back on the park last year. Has not played this year as COVID-19 has shut down the Port Adelaide magpies in the SANFL.
    Worthy suggestion but, like you say, I don't think Port will easily give him up. We'd have to give him some good assurances about his playing prospects and a pay rise.

Senior Player
    Did we ever show any interest in Jarrod Witts back in the day? I remember seeing him lumbering around Sydney Uni Oval #1
    as a young fella before he went to Collingwood.