Page 99 of 267 FirstFirst ... 49899596979899100101102103109149199 ... LastLast
Results 1,177 to 1,188 of 3194

Thread: 2017 trading, drafting, list management

Great news about Reid! Looking at the resignings we have managed this year tells me that our club's culture is healthy.

The question now is, who do we keep? These players are out of contract this year:
    Edwards
    Fisher
    Fox
    B Jack
    Johnson
    Leonardis
    McVeigh
    Murray
    O'Riordan
    Pink
    Ronke
    Talia

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Quote Originally Posted by Odysseus View Post
    How do RWO-ers feel about the possibility of Aliir's leaving? I think it was Ludwig who commented that Aliir's game on Saturday was his worst for three years. He's certainly been overtaken, and, from what I gather from RWO comments, he's lost ground rather than gained it this year.

So is there a consensus about his current value to us?
    Aliir was very good at the business end of last season. If he's done it before, he can do it again.

At present it seems he is a victim of circumstances - come to training late and get replaced by someone who goes on to become a Rising Star nominee. I would certainly pick him to replace injuries to either Reg or Melican, and I don't think Ladler or Marsh are up to his still malleable talent. Moreover if we traded him we would not get anything like his worth from another player at present.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Where is Kingy the adamant @@@@@
    "they cant afford him "
    he said that about Reid and Jones

Quote Originally Posted by Odysseus View Post
    .....So is there a consensus about his current value to us?
    Consensus? Among RWOers?

Senior Player
    Re Aliir ; He is in contract. How often do the Swans trade guys in contract? He is a defender in a team with the equal best defence in the league,
    a team that has lost two games by one kick in the past thirteen with few injuries, and he is not playing that well in the twos.
    Based on that, you would have to say his chances of getting picked in the near future are not great. Sure, he went OK last year.
    But that was last year. Whatever petrol tickets he built up then have expired, there are other guys who have built up a nice little pile of their own
    more recently.

I've been thinking about Tippett too.

My previous thoughts that he would/should be traded took the assumption that we would need to free up some cap space for Reid and/or Jones.

Now these two are under contract and, presumably, we have no immediate cap issues the situation changes IMO.

They guy still has a price on his head for sure, like all players, but for mine he stays. At the very worst he provides top level cover at both the ruck and KPF areas. I'm a big believer in having good depth across the spine and rucks and we clearly do

KPF - Buddy, Reid, Tippett, Sinclair
    KPD - Reg, Melican, Aliir, Reid
    Rucks - Sam, Tippett, Sinclair

I think that in the absence of someone being prepared to take all of his salary off our books then he's a keeper.

Longer term we have Jack as a KPD and Cameron as a KPF/Ruck. I could see us drafting an additional ruckman as a rookie this year with a view to putting two years development work into him so that he's is hopefully ready when Sinclair's contract expires. I personally like Maze but I suspect we'd probably be able to get better in the rookie draft from interstate.

Quote Originally Posted by Mug Punter View Post
    I've been thinking about Tippett too.

My previous thoughts that he would/should be traded took the assumption that we would need to free up some cap space for Reid and/or Jones.

Now these two are under contract and, presumably, we have no immediate cap issues the situation changes IMO.

They guy still has a price on his head for sure, like all players, but for mine he stays. At the very worst he provides top level cover at both the ruck and KPF areas. I'm a big believer in having good depth across the spine and rucks and we clearly do

KPF - Buddy, Reid, Tippett, Sinclair
    KPD - Reg, Melican, Aliir, Reid
    Rucks - Sam, Tippett, Sinclair

I think that in the absence of someone being prepared to take all of his salary off our books then he's a keeper.

Longer term we have Jack as a KPD and Cameron as a KPF/Ruck. I could see us drafting an additional ruckman as a rookie this year with a view to putting two years development work into him so that he's is hopefully ready when Sinclair's contract expires. I personally like Maze but I suspect we'd probably be able to get better in the rookie draft from interstate.
    +1

Senior Player
    No one ever really knows what is in a players head, but my guess is that Tippo thinks of himself as a guy who
    can deliver big time KP player/ruckman performances and will help out where needed the rest of the time. He will know that he
    hasn't done that consistently enough over the time that he has been at the Swans, partly because his body has failed him and partly
    because of too much average form.
    I'm sure he would like to perform as a dominating KP player/ruckman more consistently, and he is planning to try and do that.
    These guys take personal pride in their performance, and generally they are not short on self belief. He is in contract, so the club
    has faith in him, and he spends enough time on his knees scrapping for the ball when that is what is needed, and he doesn't
    sulk in the twos, for me never to doubt he is trying as hard as he can. Sure, he is not exactly zipping around the field. But he's
    almost seven foot tall and probably weighs as much as a small car, and we hired other guys to do the running. I always like to see
    him in the 22.
    Last edited by KTigers; 8th August 2017 at 01:30 PM.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by KTigers View Post
    No one ever really knows what is in a players head, but my guess is that Tippo thinks of himself as a guy who
    can deliver big time KP player/ruckman performances and will help out where needed the rest of the time. He will know that he
    hasn't done that consistently enough over the time that he has been at the Swans, partly because his body has failed him and partly
    because of too much average form.
    I'm sure he would like to perform as a dominating KP player/ruckman more consistently, and he is planning to try and do that.
    These guys take personal pride in their performance, and generally they are not short on self belief. He is in contract, so the club
    has faith in him, and he spends enough time on his knees scrapping for the ball when that is what is needed, and he doesn't
    sulk in the twos, for me never to doubt he is trying as hard as he can. Sure, he is not exactly zipping around the field. But he's
    almost seven foot tall and probably weighs as much as a small car, and we hired other guys to do the running. I always like to see
    him in the 22.
    +1

And he's eye-candy for my wife who thinks he looks like Superman.

Senior Player
    I know where you're coming from, Mrs Tigers is pretty keen on him too. All I can lamely respond with is, at least I comb my hair
    occasionally, but it doesn't really fly with her.....

Quote Originally Posted by Go Swannies View Post
    +1

And he's eye-candy for my wife who thinks he looks like Superman.

Quote Originally Posted by grarmy View Post
    Consensus? Among RWOers?
    Yeah, it was a long bow. I was just being polite!

On the veteran's list
    Rookies aside, the obvious delistings are Talia, Leonardis, and BJ. Laids is very lucky he has a year to run.
    Those who have the greatest power to hurt us are those we love.