Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Paul Roos to hand over coaching role to John Longmire

Aut vincere aut mori Thunder Shaker's Avatar
    My secret laboratory in the suburbs of Melbourne
    According to this article, Roos is retiring for family reasons.

Roos has two sons who would be eligible to play with the Swans as F/S picks in a few years. Maybe there's a bit more to this succession plan.
    "Unbelievable!" -- Nick Davis leaves his mark on the 2005 semi final

Sir Ashmole Gruntbucket hot potato's Avatar
    Longmire should be a pretty good coach by then. Yes, congratulations from all at Hot Potato too John.
    Once Roosy has done a couple of HSC's it will be interesting to see what he does then..... there would be some juicy offers around I would imagine.

HP
    "He was proud of us when we won and he was still proud of us when we lost' Tami Roos about Paul Sept 06.

Goodesgoodesgoodesgoodes! Industrial Fan's Avatar
    Barring injury...(and finals) he should hand over having coached 200 games for the swans.

Certainly a changing of the guard in the next 12 months.
    He ate more cheese, than time allowed

Fandom of Fabulousness Lucky Knickers's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Well done Swans. It is great to see the club make an investment in people and back that.
    Gees I am going to need a awful lot of tissues to stem the tears over the next year and a bit!

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder Shaker View Post
    According to this article, Roos is retiring for family reasons.

Roos has two sons who would be eligible to play with the Swans as F/S picks in a few years. Maybe there's a bit more to this succession plan.
    They will be eligible to play for Brisbane, not Sydney.
    "As everyone knows our style of football is defensive and unattractive, and as such I have completely forgotten how to mark or kick over the years" - Brett Kirk

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by hammo View Post
    There's no doubt Longmire is rated highly internally, but I still think the club should be casting the net wider.

There isn't exactly the same hype around this succession plan as Buckley's arrival at Collingwood!
    The only big difference is that Longmire has served a lengthy apprenticeship, Buckley has not. But I guess only time will tell if it is the right decision or not.

Quote Originally Posted by hammo View Post
    They will be eligible to play for Brisbane, not Sydney.
    It is my understanding that with a combined playing and coaching stint at Sydney the boys would have a choice as to which club they played for under the father and son rules as they currently stand.

DST
    "Looking forward to a rebuilt, new, fast and exciting Swans model in 2010"

Fandom of Fabulousness Lucky Knickers's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    What was interesting was reading Ireland is replacing Baron-Hay and we now looking for a new director of football....Roos making a change?
    Source
    Did I miss that?

scott names the planets stellation's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DST View Post
    It is my understanding that with a combined playing and coaching stint at Sydney the boys would have a choice as to which club they played for under the father and son rules as they currently stand.

DST
    Was there a rule change to include games coached?
    I knew him as a gentle young man, I cannot say for sure the reasons for his decline
    We watched him fade before our very eyes, and years before his time

Longmire coach has merit - At least we have a solution till the end of 2013.

Kirky as assistant coach has more merit in 2011 IMO - we will need his presence after Roosy goes.

Long goodbyes never seems to work. Who are the players meant to look to for direction over the next 14 months...?

The selection process at the draft table will also be interesting - who picks .... I guess that is really not up to me and we have to trust the Swans management... Ohhh thats right, there quiting too...

Or is this a way of telling us that we will heading in the right direction in 2011 with a solid team... Hope so!

Rod_

PS Big thanks to Paul Roos. A time to lead and time to follow and you need to know when it is the time to get out of the way..!~ THANX
    Last edited by Mike_B; 12th August 2009 at 09:50 PM. Reason: sparing my eyes, and those of other posters/readers

Still bleeding from 06 Blood Oath's Avatar
    People????!!!!! It was people power who appointed Roos was it not? It was Roos who delivered a premiership in 2005 (and 2 points off in 2006) was it not? Longmire was appointed "Director of Coaching" a few years back was he not? We have had a succession plan in place for a few years now if I am not mistaken. Who was the favorite for the Kangas job and was due to have his interview on the same day he was announced as the Swans coach in 2011? That is right - our new coach!
    Thnk you for all you have done for OUR football club Mr Roos............. HERE IT IS!
    J E T T A
    R O H A N

Quote Originally Posted by stellation View Post
    Was there a rule change to include games coached?
    As I understand it when the changed it from 50 to 100 games they also changes the rule to include coaching and administrators of the club as well but with different games criteria.

Not sure if the AFL keeps the full set of rules on-line but it must be buried somewhere on their website.

DST
    "Looking forward to a rebuilt, new, fast and exciting Swans model in 2010"

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast