Page 30 of 31 FirstFirst ... 20262728293031 LastLast

Thread: Match Day Rnd 13 V Richmond. MCG. 13.45 pm.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Meg View Post
    In the practice of the MRP rule I think you are right. For example, Jarrad Waite was penalised (written remand) in 2014 for pretending he had been hit in the face when footage showed he had not. I think that was one of the very few times the penalty has been used since its introduction in 2010.
    Leroy Jetta was cited once. I think he might have been the first.

I was more irritated by Rance's "dive" a few moments earlier when he went down in a heap after being edged out by Buddy in a contest. Saved an almost certain goal to Buddy and it was the kind of contact that is normally considered to be "great body use" by a forward (or a defender).

Quote Originally Posted by Meg View Post
    In the practice of the MRP rule I think you are right. For example, Jarrad Waite was penalised (written remand) in 2014 for pretending he had been hit in the face when footage showed he had not. I think that was one of the very few times the penalty has been used since its introduction in 2010.
    Hmm, Matthew Lloyd retired in 2009. The sanctions were introduced in 2010. Could their introduction be a testimonial to the career of the Dive Bomber?

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post

I was more irritated by Rance's "dive" a few moments earlier when he went down in a heap after being edged out by Buddy in a contest. Saved an almost certain goal to Buddy and it was the kind of contact that is normally considered to be "great body use" by a forward (or a defender).
    Yes, that seemed to be more or less, hip to hip contact, with no pushing. I was also a bit annoyed, when Rance seemed to get a couple of frees in the final quarter, for having his arms chopped. I suspect that in the previous few quarters, there may have been times when he could have given away a free for the same offence?

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post
    Heeney's cleanness with the ball, as well as his hardness and courage, is what makes him such a special player. Totally agree.
    No coincidence that the game changed when he was put on the pill. Played a lot of the first quarter up forward where the ball didn't go.

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    Yes Leroy Jetta was the first (in 2012). He got a written reprimand for a first offence. As with the Waite example, Jetta pretended something that didn't happen - Jetta fell down clutching his face following minor contact with his chest.

Angus Monfries is the only other stager mentioned in this article: Did Rance stage? MRP says 'not excessive' - AFL.com.au.

Last night I started a thread about staging in the general footy forum since it is not especially Swans related (thankfully).

Quote Originally Posted by i'm-uninformed2 View Post
    By the way, not sure it's been mentioned and apologies if it has.

With Heeney's goal in the third (after an absolutely cracking tackle by Newman, the new fave on here) did everyone appreciate just how smooth and absurdly easy he made the pick up and left foot kick for goal look?

The three quick steps, the clean hands, the assessment of time and space, the balance on his left, the purity of the strike. It was truly ridiculous and easy to take for granted because it looked simple.

But it really was magic.
    yes he will be a great talent. He has very soft hands, allows the ball to come to him rather than try and snatch it leaving less possibility of a fumble

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post
    Angus Monfries is the only other stager mentioned in this article: Did Rance stage? MRP says 'not excessive' - AFL.com.au.

Last night I started a thread about staging in the general footy forum since it is not especially Swans related (thankfully).
    So, quite clearly, a certain amount of staging is considered OK. Where do they draw the line FFS?
    We have them where we want them, everything is going according to plan!

Via the backwoods of this website (RWO) I discovered a link to the Tigers' fansite and then navigated to their thread about this match. Here's the link for any who are curious: Match Review & Yellow Sash Voting - [Round 13: Richmond v Sydney AFL2017] | Yellow and Black Website

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Scottee View Post
    So, quite clearly, a certain amount of staging is considered OK. Where do they draw the line FFS?
    At least some are calling it for what it is.Stop-The-Flop-AFL-v1.jpg @ Coaches slam staging 'embarrassment' - AFL.com.au That picture is pretty damning!
    Last edited by stevoswan; 20th June 2017 at 05:41 PM.

Veterans List
    Some interesting stuff for the stats buffs out there (Swans feature a bit, at the start at least): Firework season and the stark stat for Tiger fans - AFL.com.au

Goes up to 11
    Perhaps the public humiliation of Rance this week is more punishment than a suspension anyway....
    Does take away from the fact that he had a superb game on the weekend, regardless of what some of the experts proclaimed on the match day thread.