Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 67891011 LastLast

Thread: Swans Vs Bulldogs Game Day Thread

Veteran Site Admin
    AFL Coaches Association : Awards

There'll be an article on the Swans' website later today, no doubt, but the AFLCA own website reports the voting for the last round, showing that Jack has now overhauled Ablett and sits on top of the leader board, having picked up 37 points over the last five rounds. The only recent game he missed out on any votes was the GWS smashing.

Quote Originally Posted by dimelb View Post
    I like going through the Plays of the Day, and this particularly took my eye. If we can afford to leave this young bloke out of the green vest, we must have a frighteningly good playing group. Perhaps the cheekiest goal I have seen, pinching the ball from a Brownlow medallist and fine player and running away with it.

SwansTV: Brandon the super sub: Plays of the Day R19 - SYDNEYSWANS.com.au
    I must admit Mr D, that was one of my favourite passages of play the whole game, seconded by his tap through to Kizz. I am looking forward to a 'brothers' act in the future. BJ is an extremely smart young man, and is obviously quick between the ears as well as quick on his feet. I love this injection of energy!
    If you've never jumped from one couch to the other to save yourself from lava then you didn't have a childhood

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dimelb View Post
    I like going through the Plays of the Day, and this particularly took my eye. If we can afford to leave this young bloke out of the green vest, we must have a frighteningly good playing group. Perhaps the cheekiest goal I have seen, pinching the ball from a Brownlow medallist and fine player and running away with it.

SwansTV: Brandon the super sub: Plays of the Day R19 - SYDNEYSWANS.com.au
    Must admit it was an unlucky/lucky bounce.
    It came back so hard at BJ, it almost took his head off.

I did get worried he had run too far.

scott names the planets stellation's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottH View Post
    Must admit it was an unlucky/lucky bounce.
    It came back so hard at BJ, it almost took his head off.

I did get worried he had run too far.
    Just on running too far, there was one instance that didn't get mentioned by the amazing commentary team that I thought must have been very close to it... Malceski was taking a kick-in and went short to Ted, the umpire called "not 15, play on" then Ted ran under little pressure to about 5 metres away from the 50 metre arc before disposing of the ball. Now I'm sure Mal kicked it from nearly the goal line, but even if he kicked it from the very top of the goal square then that's 41 metres from the 50, then the ball is declared to have not traveled 15 metres- so if that's correct and it's only traveled 14 metres then he's at best 27 metres from the 50... then he runs to within 5 metres of the 50? Even running within 10 metres of the 50 doesn't work.

Are the umpires crap? Is the 50 not 50? Am I mad?
    I knew him as a gentle young man, I cannot say for sure the reasons for his decline
    We watched him fade before our very eyes, and years before his time

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    AFL Coaches Association : Awards

There'll be an article on the Swans' website later today, no doubt, but the AFLCA own website reports the voting for the last round, showing that Jack has now overhauled Ablett and sits on top of the leader board, having picked up 37 points over the last five rounds. The only recent game he missed out on any votes was the GWS smashing.
    That's exceptional, he is having a wonderful season.
    I heard on The Footy Show (I think) that Sportsbet paid out last week on Ablett winning the Brownlow, I thought that was a strange thing to do considering there was at the time still 5 rounds of footy to go and anything could happen.
    Could someone that knows about these things tell me if this happens a lot and also why they would pay now and not after round 23?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jewels View Post
    I heard on The Footy Show (I think) that Sportsbet paid out last week on Ablett winning the Brownlow, I thought that was a strange thing to do considering there was at the time still 5 rounds of footy to go and anything could happen.
    Could someone that knows about these things tell me if this happens a lot and also why they would pay now and not after round 23?
    No it's not strange.
    I think they did it on Swan a few years ago when he didn't win, which was awkward.

On the ACA, it is great to see 3 swans in the top 10.
    Shows that they are really sharing the load around.

Quote Originally Posted by stellation View Post
    Just on running too far, there was one instance that didn't get mentioned by the amazing commentary team that I thought must have been very close to it... Malceski was taking a kick-in and went short to Ted, the umpire called "not 15, play on" then Ted ran under little pressure to about 5 metres away from the 50 metre arc before disposing of the ball. Now I'm sure Mal kicked it from nearly the goal line, but even if he kicked it from the very top of the goal square then that's 41 metres from the 50, then the ball is declared to have not traveled 15 metres- so if that's correct and it's only traveled 14 metres then he's at best 27 metres from the 50... then he runs to within 5 metres of the 50? Even running within 10 metres of the 50 doesn't work.

Are the umpires crap? Is the 50 not 50? Am I mad?
    Wow i've gone over the Math 3 times and I think you're right. But if he did run within 10 metres of the 50 that would be 17 metres which is pretty close to 15 metres. I did think at the time he was lucky not to get pinged.

Quote Originally Posted by Primmy View Post
    I must admit Mr D, that was one of my favourite passages of play the whole game, seconded by his tap through to Kizz. I am looking forward to a 'brothers' act in the future. BJ is an extremely smart young man, and is obviously quick between the ears as well as quick on his feet. I love this injection of energy!
    He is going to be some player young BJ. Just wait till he has bulked up and built an AFL body like Kieran. He will be a seriously good player given the time to develop
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Quote Originally Posted by Jewels View Post
    It is VERY common with the corporate bookmakers on the 'long term' markets that don't get settled until well into the future whenever there is a tearaway leader and it just looks a formality. The reasoning is pretty simple, they know that in 95% of cases the money will be re-invested, so rather than have the money sitting in their a/c earning chicken feed interest, they pay out the punter early so they can have another bet.

If something untoward happens (eg. Ablett gets suspended and hence ineligible), they will promote the 'We Paid Out' line loud and proud as a form of advertising. Furthermore, remember they are the only ones that know exactly how much they need to payout and you can be assured that the bets they do payout early will be instances when their liability is not too great. Pretty fair to say if Ablett was a very poor result for the bookie, they would not have paid out early and would be letting the bet run and hoping for the miracle suspension.
    Driver of the Dan Hannebery bandwagon....all aboard. 4th April 09

scott names the planets stellation's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    My favourite glimpse of the future from the BJ goal was just how good his reflexes were to collect the whacky bounce cleanly.
    I knew him as a gentle young man, I cannot say for sure the reasons for his decline
    We watched him fade before our very eyes, and years before his time

Opti-pessi-misti
    I was listening to the ABC commentary on Sunday and at one point they questioned why KJ was being given so much freedom. The opinion of the player on the panel was that Kennedy and Hanners were being heavily tagged and that a team can't have 3 players playing a tagging role. If this is the case then whichever 2 of the 3 gets heavily tagged, the other one gets to do all the damage (with the help of the other mids). That would explain why sometimes Hanners is 'king' and sometimes has a quiet game. Now that ROK himself is usually running with someone, JK is the main target and its a toss up between Jack and Hanners as to who gets the most attention on the day. With his greater experience Kizza probably handles a tag better than Hanners. Just imagine if we had Jets and a fit Goodesy running around as well!

Quote Originally Posted by rojo View Post
    I was listening to the ABC commentary on Sunday and at one point they questioned why KJ was being given so much freedom. The opinion of the player on the panel was that Kennedy and Hanners were being heavily tagged and that a team can't have 3 players playing a tagging role. If this is the case then whichever 2 of the 3 gets heavily tagged, the other one gets to do all the damage (with the help of the other mids). That would explain why sometimes Hanners is 'king' and sometimes has a quiet game. Now that ROK himself is usually running with someone, JK is the main target and its a toss up between Jack and Hanners as to who gets the most attention on the day. With his greater experience Kizza probably handles a tag better than Hanners. Just imagine if we had Jets and a fit Goodesy running around as well!
    Nice observation. I think there is something in this. Also Mitchell is looking like he will find another gear or two with experience which will add to the run-with quandary for opposition coaches in the finals and next year.

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 67891011 LastLast