Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Round 16: Sydney Swans Reserves v Gold Coast Suns Reserves @ Blacktown

Thanks for your comments on the game liz and ugg. I wished the NEAFL had broadcast the game. I was also interested to know how Leslie went for GC, as he is an out of contract KPD that I thought might be available as he seems to be 4th in their pecking order for key defenders.

I was terribly disappointed with the news of the Abe Davis injury. I felt that if he had a good game he would have been a serious chance to make his debut v Carlton.

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    X is possibly a little flattered by his eight goals - at least two were from the goal line after the ball spilled over the top of a pack. His intensity was a little variable, especially in the first half, and he missed one early easy shot at goal. Still, he can run and he can mark, and most of the time he can kick the ball well. Much as I love Ted, we're not going to win a premiership with him playing at full forward. We can hope that one or both of Tippett or Reid comes good by the time the finals start (with the latter looking more unlikely by the week) but it would be good to see the coaches experiment with other options, especially with a couple of softer games coming up. I suspect X doesn't have the intensity for senior footy but I wouldn't be disappointed if the coaches took the opportunity to give him a go to find out for sure.
    When I read this paragraph I felt it was exactly my feelings on all the points. I have been thinking the same about definitely needing Tippett and probably Reid as well if we are to go deep into finals. Without Reid, we will probably be forced to play Towers in the finals, which looks a scary prospect atm. We can only hope he makes some big strides forward in the next few weeks.

I was pleased to hear that Tom Derickx fooled such an astute observer of the game as ugg into believing that he was injured. It just shows how well his acting career is progressing.

And when I read that liz thought Galloway was starting to look like a footballer, I unpacked my Santa Claus garden gnome and put it out on the lawn.

Regular in the Side
    I called for Richards to be picked at FF for the Geelong match and Horse took notice. Unfortunately he did not hear the initial and put in T rather than X. I would like to see X given a go especially against Carlton. T can go back to defence as can McVeigh to replace Zak where he will be replaced by Heeney. Rohan can replace Benny in a FP. Ins X and Heeney, Outs Zak and Benny, side picked.

He was OK but nothing special. He's got some pace and likes to tuck the ball under his arm and run in a way that won't translate to senior football at all. His kicking was OK. He also looked absolutely exhausted every time he came off the ground.

What were your thoughts? Do you think he's in with a shot at a second year on the list?
    I've seen a few replays of the Resies & 2 home games. So not much but I like what I have seen so far of Murray. I think he might be ok. He is a player for development as a back pocket to take over when Smooch retires down the track. I think the younger players are developing quicker under Shaw than under any of our previous coaches, as good as they were. I also think that maybe this list just has far more raw talent than we had then as well. I'm glad Galloway is coming good and starting to develop. He can take a grab but not a natural footballer, a basketballer. Nice to hear the toppies are blending well too. That is something I have noticed as well with the matches I have seen. training with the senior & development Swans would most certainly help. One of the Academy lads was telling me he was trying to ruck against Tip, Derrickx, Toby & Sam & he is only 196cm. A bit overawed I think.

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    He was OK but nothing special. He's got some pace and likes to tuck the ball under his arm and run in a way that won't translate to senior football at all. His kicking was OK. He also looked absolutely exhausted every time he came off the ground.

What were your thoughts? Do you think he's in with a shot at a second year on the list?
    This is probably the first game that I've been remotely impressed by him. He's certainly not short of self confidence, loves to take players on with his pace. I thought he was better when the game was still alive, had the vision to direct his kicks long and wide but during the fourth quarter seemed to lapse back into old selfish habits

Ok the basis of his games thus far probably not getting a spot on the rookie list especially if places are at a premium but if he keeps improving who knows

Also very impressed with Baron-Hay today he was essentially our key defender along with Hebron and he was good in both the one on ones and the ability to read the play and compete for the loose ball.

Best Players: X. Richards, T. Nankervis, B. Jack, N. Newman, R. Hebron, D. Baron-Hay

Warming the Bench
    I'd like to say thanks to all the posters to this thread.
    Thoroughly enjoying the discussion about what's happening in the reserves, the future of young players, etc.

Veteran Site Admin
    Not often a NEAFL games earns two articles on the main page of the AFL site - one about JOM's slight setback and another about X's exploits plus a little of Heeney (also on the Swans' website, less surprisingly).

Haven't had a chance to read through but having seen the game my comments are as follows

Star of the day was with a doubt for me Dawson, time on the ball and a peach of a left foot. He's a good size at 190cm and with another good pre-season I can see him really pushing for selection as the third tall. I think our need for a third tall could be solved in house.

Leonardis
    is way behind Dawson in my opinion, he took some decent marks and kicked at leats three goals against pretty average opposition. He's not ready for AFL by a mile but I'll reserve judgement on him until next year as there is something there.

Foote was the other standout for me, very busy and good skills. It's a tough school o break into with the Swans mids but he'll get there for mine. As long as he is board I'd keep him as a third year rookie in 2017 and blood him as an upgrade next year.

Xav was good (7-8 goals), it will be very tempting for us to re-list him as a rookie next year and if Buddy was to get injured he'd be worth a chance this year. just very hard to judge against very poor opposition, and it really does ram home why Gold Coast are in such strife seeing that game.

BJ was OK without demanding a recall, I suspect 2017 will be a make or break season for him.

Likewise Rose was busy and classy without demanding a recall.

Newman impressed. Good delivery and drive off the half back flank. I can't see us letting another club getting a crack at him.

O'Riordan again impressed though perhaps less so than last time I saw him. Very good composure and skills for a newcomer to the game. Definitely a keeper and Crouchy agrees.

Isaac was fine, clearly a class above and took a couple of decent marks. If it's jus a matter of fitness he'll be back next week.

As for the toppies I thought Brown as an under ager showed come class and I also thought Baron-Hay did well. Galloway has definitely improved a LOT since I saw him last.

TDx copped a knock and his date tonight could be in doubt.

Abe Davis on crutches and Harry and Robbo running water. Aliir the only player from Thursday night there I saw.

All in all a good afternoon but a good awful place to get to. Sooner we get a decent base like Macquarie Uni sorted for our twos and training the better

See above

Blacktown is far from the CBD but the ground and facilities itself are very good. Not sure what would be achieved by relocating games to Mac Uni. And I noticed today that the NEAFL game between Sydney Uni and Canberra at Henson Park was called off at half time because of a hole in the centre square, so using that venue is questionable too.

Veteran Site Admin
    It took me barely an hour and a quarter in each direction to drive to Blacktown today from the Eastern suburbs, with roadworks along the M4 limiting the speed limit to 80kmph for about half of the stretch and decent amounts of traffic along Parramatta Road and through Surrey Hills. There is also ample free parking (for a NEAFL game). I realise it's not that easy to get to without your own transport, but otherwise it's accessible enough and, as Ugg says, a reasonably good facility.

Last edited by ugg; 17th July 2016 at 12:34 AM.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast