Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Stevie Johnson

scott names the planets stellation's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Steve used to be one of the current players that would occasionally pop up to provide some insights during match coverage (he may still be and I've just not stumbled upon it), and it always struck me when he was doing the footy lab analysis part how insightful his observations were and how articulately he could explain points. I understand he has been heavily involved at GWS in the development of both Greene and Patton- ignoring Greene's stupidity this year, his actual football development has been significant in the time Johnson has been there.

If he was to join, I daresay it's more a case of Harley leveraging a relationship to pull off a recruiting coup more than it is Harley just throwing off jobs to his mates.
    I knew him as a gentle young man, I cannot say for sure the reasons for his decline
    We watched him fade before our very eyes, and years before his time

Senior Player
    GWS has always made it pretty clear part of the reason they recruited Johnson was because of his footy smarts and his abilities to
    pass them on to their young list, and if Greene (AA last year) and Patton (possible 40 man squad for the AA this year) are his main
    pupils then it's certainly worked for them. I can't imagine Tom Harley would hand out jobs on our coaching staff to blokes just
    because he used to play with them. I'm sure he takes his job a bit more seriously than that.

Goes up to 11
    No thanks. Not after the disgraceful way he carried on against us in the semi final last year.

Would be a huge if we could land Stevie J. I attended highschool with Toby Greene and he was always a midfielder.. the fact Stevie J has helped turn Greene from a midfielder to one of the premier forwards in the comp says it all to me.
    Could be hugely beneficial to guys like Hayward, Florent, Towers and Rohan to a lesser extent. Fair enough if you don't like him for his onfield stuff, but you have to respect his footy brains and understanding of the game

What happened to our no dickhead policy.
    Please no.
    Wild speculation, unsubstantiated rumours, silly jokes and opposition delight in another's failures is what makes an internet forum fun.
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones who let in the light.

Quote Originally Posted by AnnieH View Post
    Please no.
    The "no dickhead" policy never existed. And I'm not sure Stevie J is one.

Senior Player
    C'mon folks, this no dickheads policy thing. I get it, it's nice to believe your team has a better class of person playing for it
    than the other teams. And I understand that buying into a team and supporting it come what may means you need to
    leave some of your everyday cynicism at the door. But really, come on. It's such a fanciful notion.
    It's like Hawthorn being "the family club", who dreamed that one up. I saw John Platten trotting that one out last
    night on "Open Mike". This is after he took a $20K signing bonus from Carlton.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by KTigers View Post
    C'mon folks, this no dickheads policy thing. I get it, it's nice to believe your team has a better class of person playing for it
    than the other teams. And I understand that buying into a team and supporting it come what may means you need to
    leave some of your everyday cynicism at the door. But really, come on. It's such a fanciful notion.
    It's like Hawthorn being "the family club", who dreamed that one up. I saw John Platten trotting that one out last
    night on "Open Mike". This is after he took a $20K signing bonus from Carlton.
    Maybe he meant The Family, like the mafia? A lot of sniping and cheap hits skills there - even the Judas kiss.

Warming the Bench
    Please no.
    When I heard about this on SEN I thought exactly the same thing. However, i'm in 2 minds about it. Johnson has the worst disciplinary record of any current player so why would we want him at Sydney. I heard him interviewed after the GWS v Bulldogs last week and he came across as intelligent and articulate - i was quite surprised.

I didn't think of the Tom Harley connection until I read this thread. I wouldn't see it as jobs for your mates - more likely Tom knows him a whole lot better than we do.

The no dickheads policy IS a thing.

I don't want him coming in here and telling our kids that it's ok to be a thug on the field.
    Zac Jones would be suspended every other week. This is how he played his career... thinking that it's ok.
    It's not.
    Wild speculation, unsubstantiated rumours, silly jokes and opposition delight in another's failures is what makes an internet forum fun.
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones who let in the light.

Just wild about Harry
    The no dickheads policy IS a thing.

I don't want him coming in here and telling our kids that it's ok to be a thug on the field.
    Zac Jones would be suspended every other week. This is how he played his career... thinking that it's ok.
    It's not.
    First of all, it is not a thing. Even Ted says that the concept came from outside the club and the club itself had never heard of it.
    Secondly, I don't think our players would suddenly be infected by the Stevie J virus and start running around hitting people. Players only do that if they have always done it.

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    There is more than one facet to Stevie J. I laughed when I watched him and Luke Hodge niggling each other, whacking each other and then laughing about it afterwards - a right pair of scallywags.

But I was savage enough after he deliberately concussed Josh to label him Mad Dog Johnson. I don't know if he has said or done something about that since; I'd hope he has. Otherwise I wouldn't want him.

I'm sure the club knows what they are doing, and if he were to come I'd accept it, however reluctantly.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast