Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: #AFL Round One Weekly Discussion Thread.

Veterans List

#AFL Round One Weekly Discussion Thread.

Footy's back!!! Let's hope it's a great season for our Swannies and we start with a good win!

But there are other games and this is the place to discuss them and subsequent 'fall out' during the week..

Tonight's game, the 'traditional' Tigers v Blues. A sad tradition.....and it's living up to that billing atm with the Tigers three goals to nil up. Bit different to last year when Carlton got the first five goals! Oops, Tigers now four goals up. Oh dear....I was looking forward to a tight or at least competitive game.

All the other games will be interesting purely to see how everyone is tracking at this early stage.....

Enjoy the round. Go Swans!!

PS: Oh yeah, another thing I've noticed.....free kick count Rich 7 Carl 1 so far......
    Last edited by stevoswan; 21st March 2019 at 07:46 PM.

Not sure if it’s just the new rules, very fast, open and furious.
    Looks exhausting.

Veterans List
    I was going to wish Nic Newman good luck also....things weren't looking good for him in the first quarter when Carlton were under siege and he made an error which lead to a Richmond goal but since then, he's steadied and has become an effective contributor, 20 possessions, 7 marks, has snagged a goal and is now leading Carlton in Fantasy points.....well done Nic.

PS: 3QT comment from AFL match centre live feed: "Nic Newman has had more effective kicks (15) than any other player on the ground, and leads the Blues for metres gained (457) in a strong offensive contribution."
    Last edited by stevoswan; 21st March 2019 at 09:35 PM.

Outer wing, Lake Oval Sandridge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    I was going to wish Nic Newman good luck also....things weren't looking good for him in the first quarter when Carlton were under siege and he made an error which lead to a Richmond goal but since then, he's steadied and has become an effective contributor, 20 possessions, 7 marks, has snagged a goal and is now leading Carlton in Fantasy points.....well done Nic.

PS: 3QT comment from AFL match centre live feed: "Nic Newman has had more effective kicks (15) than any other player on the ground, and leads the Blues for metres gained (457) in a strong offensive contribution."
    I'm with you Stevo - I'd like to see Nic do well and he's made an impressive start at his new club. (Although that club is Carlton. Perhaps he could get their B and F while they collect another wooden spoon?)

Senior Player
    Good to see Newman go well, some good long field kicks and a nice goal. Typical Blues though, 2 good quarters. Typical round 1, everyone cooked by end of the third

Rance injury is big news, could really affect the Tigers season.

I wouldn't usually say "liked the Telstra ad" but the secret Swans fan in the Tiger family made me smile.

Not a bad opener, bring on the real action Saturday night.

Regular in the Side
    Fantasy points leaders in the match were both ex Swans Newman and Nankervis both with 115. Miss them both.

Quote Originally Posted by rb4x View Post
    Fantasy points leaders in the match were both ex Swans Newman and Nankervis both with 115. Miss them both.
    That speaks volumes about the mismanagement of our list. We essentially lost Nankervous due to the ridiculously stupid contract offered to Tippett and we lost Newman because we was never really given a chance. Players can't find form in a team if they only play one game in a row. Why that occurred I don't know because he was a reliable contributor for us. Then of course there is the Tom Mitchell.

Quote Originally Posted by S.S. Bleeder View Post
    That speaks volumes about the mismanagement of our list. We essentially lost Nankervous due to the ridiculously stupid contract offered to Tippett and we lost Newman because we was never really given a chance. Players can't find form in a team if they only play one game in a row. Why that occurred I don't know because he was a reliable contributor for us. Then of course there is the Tom Mitchell.
    Seems like you could make a pretty handy team with all the Swans we've lost post-Tippett.

Quote Originally Posted by rb4x View Post
    While Newman had a good game, his fantasy score was a bit inflated, because he was taking most of the kick-ins. That is, previously, players only got a stat if they kicked it to themselves and then played on. Now all kick-ins count.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by dejavoodoo44 View Post
    While Newman had a good game, his fantasy score was a bit inflated, because he was taking most of the kick-ins. That is, previously, players only got a stat if they kicked it to themselves and then played on. Now all kick-ins count.
    I could be wrong, but I thought that had changed, and they've now deemed kick-ins won't count.

Not that it matters, other than for Fantasy Football scores, or for commentators who get excited about raw possession counts.

Newman had a pretty good game yesterday, I thought. He had a few shaky minutes in the first quarter but settled as the game went on and was one of the Blues' better contributors for the rest of the game (alongside Daisy, who many in the industry had written off two years ago). I'm glad for him but I don't know that he would have been picked in tomorrow's Swans side given that we have a player suited to a similar role who hasn't been selected in COR.

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    I could be wrong, but I thought that had changed, and they've now deemed kick-ins won't count.

Not that it matters, other than for Fantasy Football scores, or for commentators who get excited about raw possession counts.

Newman had a pretty good game yesterday, I thought. He had a few shaky minutes in the first quarter but settled as the game went on and was one of the Blues' better contributors for the rest of the game (alongside Daisy, who many in the industry had written off two years ago). I'm glad for him but I don't know that he would have been picked in tomorrow's Swans side given that we have a player suited to a similar role who hasn't been selected in COR.
    I'm really just going on this article and possibly a comment or two, within games.
    Who will get a Fantasy scoring boost thanks to new rules? - AFL.com.au

Rereading it a bit more closely, it seems that kick-ins, where contact is made outside the goal square, count as a kick in fantasy football: whether or not the player kicks it to themselves first. However, it seems that kicks taken from inside the goal square don't. And just to complicate things, if a player decides to handball a restart, instead of a kick-in, then all handballs count: even the ones from inside the goal square.
    But since I don't play fantasy, I'm sure that people who are keen on it, may be more across the changes.

By the way, Rance has officially done his ACL and is now listed as out for the season. Tough luck for the Tigers. Probably still a premiership threat though.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast