Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Round 13: Sydney Swans Reserves v UWS Giants @ Blacktown International Sports Park

Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    I think this all shows our depth beyond our top 25 or so players suddenly wears a bit thin. Some of these younger lads need to step it up soon, if they're capable, or the crap 'trade ban' will really start to hurt us down the track. The 'VFL boys club' is achieving their aim, it seems.........a**holes!
    I don't think too much should be made of our side consisting of inexperienced players and a poor group of toppies being slaughtered by a very good GWS group. Perhaps some criticism is in order for throwing in the towel after the result was obvious.

As for the trade ban, as unjust as it is, probably didn't have much effect on our depth. If we are talking about Patfull, I don't think adding a 30 yo Laidler sized defender is much of a solution going forward. As for this coming year, we probably have priced ourselves out of the any big signing anyway due to salary cap constraints. It's more the COLA cancellation than the trade ban that is restricting our ability to bring in players.

We've made a number of personnel decisions around getting Tippett and Franklin that we will have to live with for a while. Add to that our choice of KPP draftees and you have our future prospects in a nutshell. It's hard to predict how it will all turn out.

Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    I think this all shows our depth beyond our top 25 or so players suddenly wears a bit thin. Some of these younger lads need to step it up soon, if they're capable, or the crap 'trade ban' will really start to hurt us down the track. The 'VFL boys club' is achieving their aim, it seems.........a**holes!
    I think we may be a bit thin but surely that is inevitable when you place 20% of your salary cap with two players. I was someone who was hoping Goodesy would retire but the reality is that we really need him at the moment.

I guess they have really only cost us two players we may have liked to have kept, Mummy and Jed.

On the whole though I think it probably says more about the strength of GWS and possibly the huge gulf between the bottom half of our squad (local top ups) and the bottom half of GWS squad (full time squad members). I have no doubt that if there was a reserves comp at the moment that GWS would be romping it in, no doubt at all...

The reality is that the local talent is at this stage not much chop on a genuine second tier comp stage. I daresay we'd get chopped up by the SANFL sides if we played there if we only relied on top-ups rather than interstate recruits. You'd hope that this may change over the next 5-10 years.

This, of course, is not a new problem with the Swans, something we have been grappling with for years. It's just that the enormous strength of the GWS squad exposes it so graphically.

On the Rookie List Conor_Dillon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mug Punter View Post
    I guess they have really only cost us two players we may have liked to have kept, Mummy and Jed .
    I'd add Everitt to that list as well...the club had really high hopes for him. Could also add Mal as well but that may have been inevitable.
    Twitter @cmdil
    Instagram @conordillon

Quote Originally Posted by Conor_Dillon View Post
    I'd add Everitt to that list as well...the club had really high hopes for him. Could also add Mal as well but that may have been inevitable.
    To a large extent I see this as a non issue for us specifically except where it impacts on our ability to compete at senior level. I think it is borderline at the moment but with Mills, Dunkley (hopefully) and the continued development of Heeney, Jones and Hewett then I'd hope we'll be fine.

The GWS strength is an AFL issue. Our reserves seem to be stronger than both the Lions and Suns, if we fall behind them then I'll start to be concerned but even then it will probably be more of a reflection of our top ups

On the Rookie List Conor_Dillon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mug Punter View Post
    To a large extent I see this as a non issue for us specifically except where it impacts on our ability to compete at senior level. I think it is borderline at the moment but with Mills, Dunkley (hopefully) and the continued development of Heeney, Jones and Hewett then I'd hope we'll be fine.

The GWS strength is an AFL issue. Our reserves seem to be stronger than both the Lions and Suns, if we fall behind them then I'll start to be concerned but even then it will probably be more of a reflection of our top ups
    Yeh agree 100%...the reaction to the weekend's reserves game on here was amazing.

As somebody said, premierships are won by your best 25-27 players. Ours are as good as anyone's, if not better.
    Twitter @cmdil
    Instagram @conordillon

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234