Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Round 20: Sydney Swans Reserves v Redland Bombers @ SCG

It is no secret that my main area of interest is in the toppies. For the second week none of the toppies did much. It intrigues me why that is when this time last year guys like jake brown had plenty of involvement.

I got to see the game and it dawned on me that whilst the listed neafl players are a very tight group, as a consequence of lack of injuries, they are basically playing as a team of 17 listed players. They are so strong that they have no need for the toppies. In fact for a large part of the game the toppies were off. When they were on the listed players simply played around them, and used them as an absolute last resort.

Whilst the 17 or so listed players are basically the same every week, I think they have given up on the new toppy faces that rotate through every week.

The poor toppies worked their butts off but were ignored 9 times out of 10. I'd love to see the gps. I reckon wicks probably topped the distance travelled.

I heard a comment that Brisbane won last week because their toppies were better. I wonder if it was simply because Brisbane plays as a complete team.

If I was shaw I would see this situation as a real weakness that could see Brisbane take the flag. You are usually only as strong as your bottom six, and they will be toppies. If Brandon jack had a brain, and I don't think he does, he would address this issue pronto.

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    I noticed Brown played most of the game in defence. I assume that's not his natural position.

Veterans List
    I coached primary school footy and noticed that the kids that could really play tended to share it amongst themselves because they had confidence that the player they were passing to would mark it or retain possession whilst ignoring lesser talented kids in who they had less faith. Sounds like the same thing is happening in the twos except it just a handful of toppies who are being shut out.

Ugg, Barra or other ressie watchers, I notice Fisher is often in the bests, what type of player is he, position and style. A likely keeper? It seems most of this crop of rookies is showing a bit.

Veterans List
    I see Alex Johnson got 21 disposals.....was he impressive and I assume he is playing the full 4 quarters now?

I think Fisher is the best of the rookie crop this year and has a very good chance to make it. I like what Ronke's done as well. They both show AFL level qualities. In fact, all the rookies are in with a chance.

I've been disappointed with all the academy kids. I had high hopes for Jake Brown, but he hasn't shown the same form since coming back from injury. We might not want to be delisting too many players this year as the pickings after round 2 of this year's draft don't look that great. I'd rather go with the group we currently have, with just a few exceptions.

Quote Originally Posted by barracuda View Post
    If I was shaw I would see this situation as a real weakness that could see Brisbane take the flag. You are usually only as strong as your bottom six, and they will be toppies. If Brandon jack had a brain, and I don't think he does, he would address this issue pronto.
    Great comment, barracuda. Maybe the problem is that the Swans don't care about winning the NEAFL and completely prioritise the AFL? Certainly there are many ways they do this e.g. playing players out of position to round them out and improve their chances of success at AFL level. I would like to see us treat the toppies with more respect - like we would with a junior but listed player, who we need to develop. 2nd class citizen is not a concept that sits well with the concept of team.

I suspect it won't happen but I would be content if we keep all our rookies. None of them have proven to be busts yet. I would be content to cut just Leonardis, BJ, Talia and Macca which will open up 4 spots on the list, which is ample. Another possibility is that Marsh is traded out seeking more opportunity (even though his contract isn't up). I wonder if Fox is vulnerable if we do cut a rookie? With his injury he's a bit out of sight, out of mind and he's older. He was good depth but we may feel we are better off with new draftees and/or players like Ronke, Murray etc after they have another year under their belt. Same could go for Edwards. Also O'Riordan has stagnated a bit this year.

Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post
    Great comment, barracuda. Maybe the problem is that the Swans don't care about winning the NEAFL and completely prioritise the AFL?
    I wouldn't go that far having seen the reactions of Shaw and in the past Crouch on winning and losing games. They do care about winning. However it comes secondary to the primary aim of benefiting the senior team. I know that might throw some noses out of joint with NEAFL supporters and advocates but I wouldn't expect it to be any other way.

That's a better way of putting it. Not suggesting that either the players or coaches don't care about NEAFL results - they clearly do. Evident after last year's granny (and when we lost against Aspley).

- - - Updated - - -

That's a better way of putting it, ugg. Not suggesting that either the players or coaches don't care about NEAFL results - they clearly do. Evident after last year's granny (and when we lost against Aspley).

Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post
    I coached primary school footy and noticed that the kids that could really play tended to share it amongst themselves because they had confidence that the player they were passing to would mark it or retain possession whilst ignoring lesser talented kids in who they had less faith. Sounds like the same thing is happening in the twos except it just a handful of toppies who are being shut out.

Ugg, Barra or other ressie watchers, I notice Fisher is often in the bests, what type of player is he, position and style. A likely keeper? It seems most of this crop of rookies is showing a bit.
    I agree. As a junior coach I have helped a number of juniors transition to open age group footy. The single biggest factor in a successful transition is the behaviour of the senior players. Where they support, encourage and direct juniors it is amazing how well the juniors play.

To be honest I don't expect pro players on hundreds of thousands to care about the kids that top up.

In most years there are way more injuries so there is room and need for the top ups. This year has been unusual, and it has created a difficult environment for the juniors to either get a game or too much game opportunities.

Quote Originally Posted by barracuda View Post
    I agree. As a junior coach I have helped a number of juniors transition to open age group footy. The single biggest factor in a successful transition is the behaviour of the senior players. Where they support, encourage and direct juniors it is amazing how well the juniors play.

To be honest I don't expect pro players on hundreds of thousands to care about the kids that top up.

In most years there are way more injuries so there is room and need for the top ups. This year has been unusual, and it has created a difficult environment for the juniors to either get a game or too much game opportunities.
    The same happens to some extent when they step up to Seniors. You have to earn the trust of your teammates.

- - - Updated - - -

Was Dawson tagged?

Named in the best, but down on his recent prolific performances.
    The eternal connundrum "what happens when an unstoppable force meets an immovable object" was finally solved when David Hasselhoff punched himself in the face.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by ugg View Post

Johnno's best game stats-wise since his return. Nine marks (!) suggests he's running well. Impressions, anyone who watched?

Great to see Aliir best on. Ludwig's one ruck plus Aliir looking realistic (in the future). Well timed performance, given Newman's injury. Good to see Fisher returning to form after an off game and Ollie have a good one, too.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast